Application of the British Empire

Applications to the ESUS will be processed here.
Bavin
The Mindset's Bitch
Prefix: The United Kingdoms Of
Name: Great Britannia

Application of the British Empire

Post by Bavin »

Hello...

First, a short OOC story. Around the time I first joined Earth II, I became swamped with RP work, due to in E-2 events, along with several character RP's I had going at the time. As such, I decided to drop FT from the time being, dumping my other FT nation. Soon afterward, OMGeverynameistaken, with whom I had RP'd with in the past as various NPC characters and nations in his version of future earth, asked me to do so again, as the British Empire with regards to the ongoing Hyborian conflict. I accepted, and then had a thought: what if I took over the nation permanently? OMG signed off on it, and Britian was mine. Now, this Britian wasn't simply a renamed version of OMG, I changed several elements in military doctrine, amoung other things, and arrived with this. The United Kingdoms of Greater Britannia, or the British Empire.

Now, that's done.

National Backround.

History- During the 21st century, the United States was in decline. Unrest on the home front, and numerous brushfire wars overseas had left the worlds sole superpower, not eighty years after the fall of the USSR, on the verge of collapse. On the other hand, Russia and the UK were on the upswing, with the former bringing back a strong monarchy, and the reforms implemented by the BNP in the latter leading to a rise in British Imperialism. As time rolled on, the New Space Race began, while a civil war raged on American soil. France was quick to grab Venus, keeping their terraforming technology under heavy wraps, and the Russians and British both rushing to Mars. With Russia in control of most of Mars following the Martian Wars of 2123-39, the British soon expanded into the Outer Systems, along with the Germans. Near the dawn of the 23rd century, war seemed imminent in Europe. All the major players were greatly increasing their naval sizes, and tensions were high. The spark came during the Strasbourg riots, when a German consulate was burned down. Germany demanded reparations, France refused, and the Great War began, lasting from 2214-2245. This left Europe devastated, with much of the Alsace and much of Poland wastelands. Near the end of the Great War, Britain, due to its strong pre-war navy, quickly moved to seize the German holdings in the Outer reaches of Sol, making it an economic powerhouse, enabling it to recover far quicker then its neighbors across Europe. It then began to invest in the recovery of many European nations, Russia in particular, and expanding their influence into Africa and Asia, re-taking much of their former Empire. The world remains quiet to this day, with population levels just starting to reach pre-War levels, almost a thousand years later.

Culturally, the Empire is very similar to its 18th-19th century namesake. The government and military are controlled by the upper class aristocracy, which consists of the oldest and richest families. Nearly everyone else is a poor worker, with the exception of a few middle-class merchants and such. Appearance is everything in this society, and everyone strives to keep up their personal reputation, often leading to scandals galore. Britons, especially Englishmen, see themselves as culturally superior to colonials, especially the ones in the outer orbits. Many of the populace are imperialists, who would gladly have native populations be slaughtered for the furtherance of the Empire. The Monarchy has regained power, and is once again a major decision maker, although still delegates to Parliament on certain issues.

[spoiler][map]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Empire.png[/map][/spoiler]
[spoiler][center]Image
The Royal Navy [/center]
The ships of the Royal Navy are almost all powered by solar sails, removing the need to carry extra fuel. They are equipped with void shields, and linear accelerator cannon. They also make heavy usage of automated systems, so crew sizes are low. These ships are rated on a five rating scale based on their number of guns, size, and role.

First Rate- Flagship of the Line

These ships are the biggest ships in the Navy, and function exclusively as flagships. These ships all have over a hundred guns on three decks, and almost fifty crewmen. Only four of these ships are currently in service, two stationed at the Outer Orbit base at Titan, and two at Earth.

Second Rate Ship of the Line

These ships are the heavy-hitters of the Navy, functioning as flagships of induvidual squadrons, and rarely operate alone. These ships have anywhere from ninety to ninety-eight guns, on three gun decks, and around thirty crewmen. Fifteen are in service.

Third Rate Ship of the line

The workhorse of the Navy, these ships are present in almost every formation. They have between sixty and eighty guns, and around twenty to twenty-five crewmen. Eighty-nine are in service

Fourth Rate

These ships are used mostly for long-term isolated operations at the fringes of the empire, and are designed to be able to outrun anything stronger then them. These ships have anywhere from forty to sixty guns, and fifteen to twenty crewmen. Twenty-two are in service

Fifth Rate

These ships are used to scout ahead of main fleets, and as such are low on firepower. These can be equipped with anything from twenty-six to thirty guns, and usually have fifteen crewmen. Thirty-seven are in service

Auxiliary Ships- In addition, the Empire maintains small patrol ships to monitor the outer reaches of Sol, and other British holdings. Torpedo boats can be found in most major formations, firing heavy anti-matter torpedoes. Monitors are used only in major bombardment situations, and are rare. In desperate situations, local militia, freight, and police vessels may also be pressed into service.[/spoiler]

[spoiler][align=center]Image
The British Army[/align]

Line Infantry

Basic infantry troops are equipped liner accelerator rifles, roughly equivalent to their Russian counterparts. Rather then banner based shields, British infantry rely on heavier kinetic shields. These are either used in defensive positions, or on Celtic IFV's. Each infantry squad is lead by a Royal Inquisitor, each of them having a personal shield, as the expense of firepower.

The standard British infantry weapon is the Enfield 107 Accelerator Musket. Every squad has two heavy-riflemen, armed with the Enfield 52 Linear Accelerator Rifle, for anti-tank uses. Each squad also has a Mk. VI light plasma repeater, for squad suppression.

Assault Infantry
Assault infantry are also equipped with Enfield rifles. However, each one has powered armor, allowing them to take a glancing hit, and in some places a direct, hit from a Linear accelerator. Each one also carries a satchel of plasma grenades, and a jump pack for attacking heavier positions.

All of these troops carry the Enfield 99 Accelerator Carbine, which fire faster then normal Enfield 107's However, these do not fire rounds at the same velocity as normal muskets .

Rangers

The troops of the British Rangers are equipped similarly to the Basic Infantry, with one exception. Each squad of Rangers is lead by a Inquisitor in a Assault Mech, which emits a shield to protect the troops, allowing them to operate independently of armored units.

Skirmishers

The Skirmishers of the British Army have a variety of weapons, from the standard Enfield 107, to Enfield 52 LAR's. Most, however, carry the Enfield 107S, a sniper weapon, with reduced rate of fire, but greater accuracy and power then the normal Enfield 107.

Skirmishers are deployed forward of advancing British infantry, often with jump packs to allow them to withdraw quickly. Their shields, projected from banners, cover a wider area then the Basic Infantry's, but cannot take as much fire.

Cavalry
The Celtic IFV is the backbone of the British Army. Each one is equipped with a heavy plasma repeater, a ATM battery, an advanced fire control computer, a kinetic shield, and room to carry a full squad of infantry.

The Alexandria Main Battle Tank is the most powerful vehicle in the British arsenal. With a dual-barrel railgun, it can destroy targets several kilometers away. This is also the most expensive platform in the British Army, and is quite rare. The largest group of these is based at Fort Langdon, outside London.

Royal Artillery - "God is on the side with the most artillery"- Napoleon Bonaparte.
The most common gun in the British arsenal is the Wellington 155mm plasma howitzer. Firing a superheated plasma scatter shell with supreme accuracy at ranges up to four kilometers, this is truly a god of war.

Other guns used include the Churchill Modular Close Range Cannon, and the Mk. V Plasma repeater. used is the Churchill close range cannon. It fires a small plasma round at tiny ranges, mostly for use against troops advancing in a Napoleonic manner. The Mk. V Heavy Plasma repeater is a crew mounted weapon, utilized in defensive positions only.[/spoiler]

Is any other important data needed?
Naggeroth
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Empire of
Name: Naggeroth

Re: Application of the British Empire

Post by Naggeroth »

Welcome to the ESUS applications; thats more then enough information about your nation for me to work with. You'll be given a set of 3 writing test's which you will need to complete. I will then mark these. If you get an 85% average on the three score's you'll be admitted into the ESUS as a full member. Your tests are;

Test #1: One of the upper influence aristocrats is being blackmailed. Exactly what the blackmailer is asking for, or using as their evidence is up to you however both must be capable of damaging the man's honour and position. Roleplay the Noble, or someone close to him as they deal with the situation. No marks will be deducted based on the result.

Test #2: One of your diplomats has fallen ill with the dreaded Teribaca virus. Unfortunately, you and the Russian Empire have reached a critical stage in your strategic arms limitations terms, yet the diplomat infected with Teribaca is the mover and shaker behind the progress the talks have made so far. His deputy is called in at the last moment; play the part of the deputy attempting to adjust to a diplomatic climate with which he's unfamiliar, and playing against a perception the Russians may find hard to shake. The result will not effect your mark's in any way. (Kudos for Kostemetsia.)

Test #3; There is a Tea-Party in space. Something important to you has declared independence from the crown. Diplomacy fails and you are forced to retake the installation by force. Roleplay from the perspective of a soldier on the front-lines as they attempt to retake the objective. The result will not effect your mark's in any way.

You have as much time as you need to complete these tests; if you're going to be longer then a month or so just let us know. Good Luck.
Bavin
The Mindset's Bitch

Post by Bavin »

No. 1

Parliament

All eyes were on the double doors separating the private chambers of the Lords of Parliament from this hearing chamber. All eyes except those of Jean Luc Durand, who stared down at the collection of legal briefs suspended in the table's display. He grabbed one with his finger, and began toying with it, spinning it around and sliding it about. In the back of the room, Jack Finnegan, photographer from the Daily Telegraph sat bored, watching a fly circle at the top of the room. The doors opened with a start, and he looked down. Lord Benjamin L. Pope, Home Secretary, came through the double doors, followed by several Lords of Parliament. They sat, and conversed quietly amongst themselves, before turning to the multitude. Pope began the hearing, standing up as each of the four men seated at the table facing the committee was sworn in. Pope then spoke, his booming voice filling the chamber, reverberating amongst its ancient walls.

"By the power vested in me by the Lords of Parliament, and Her Majesty Queen Alexandria I, I hereby call these hearings on the actions of Durand Holdings LLC, into session."

And so it began. The hearing began with the testimony of the first man, a former employee at AgriSmart, the farming branch of Durant Holdings. He told the tale of his work as an accountant, and his suspicion at the higher food prices. He began to investigate, and turned up a conspiracy designed to use accounting tricks and dummy corporations to artificially inflate the cost of their products, while maintaining the same overhead. Because of AgriSmart's near monopoly on large scale farming, the rising prices were accepted with little complaining. The Lords turned to Durant, and asked him and the AgriSmart CEO if this was true. Durant denied it vociferously, as did the CEO, and things worked their way back to the whistle blower, and the hearing continued.

[center]***[/center]
Tia Pickering, editor of the Daily Telegraph, sat looking down at her desk while Durant paced by the windows.

"What your asking is entirely wrong," she said, glancing at him.

"If we don't try, we could be out of our jobs! I could be in prison!" Durant yelled, slamming his fist down on her desk, closing out a random folder she had open.

"I'm not asking you to do this for me. I'm asking you to do it for all the employees of Durant Holdings, from the boardrooms to the fields! All you need to do is tell Mr. Finnegan to follow Mr. Pope after he leaves the Parliament buildi-"

"I don't care, this isn't right!" She stood up, and found Durant holding her in place.

"Tia, don't make this difficult," she began to struggle, "Stop it," she did, "If you want to keep your job, you'll do this,"

"I don't think the Lords would take my job..." she said quietly.

"They won't," he said, walking to the door, "I will."

After Durant had left, Pickering sat there considering the choice before her. She could make a stand for her ethics, or she could make a stand for her job. Being a smart woman, she chose the latter, and walked out looking for Finnegan. She found him looking over the photos he had taken with his camscope at the hearing. He turned to face her.

"Alright Mr. Finnegan, you wanted more important work, well this is it. W- I want you to follow Lord Pope as he goes about his evening, and continue to observe him. You might stumble upon an interesting story,"

She walked away as Finnegan contemplated the decision. His choice was much easier then Tia's. As a relatively new reporter, he was still an idealist, that cared exclusively for the truth, and not the muddy grey and grayer world he inhabited.

[center]***[/center]
Finnegan's van pulled into a space just across from Pope's, as he parked at this small home in Kensington, which was not his own. Finnegan was almost beside himself with childish glee. The Home Secretary! Having an affair! Finnegan soon walked up to the bushes, and began snapping photos of Pope and some bimbo stretched out on the couch. He then slipped away, and drove back to the office, uploading the photo to his computer, and sending a copy to Pickering, before heading home.

Later that morning, Pickering entered her office, to see the photos on her desk and grinned. Durant did the same when they crossed his desk in his office across town. He stood up.

"This is perfect, exactly what I wanted," he said, and drafted an anonymous message to Pope.

It arrived later in the day, and caused Pope quite a shock when he opened it. He called in Inspector Sanderson, a friend and confidant.

[center]***[/center]
"This photo will ruin me! I'll be forced to resign, I'll lose the wife, the kids, and half the estate in the divource settlement an-" Sanderson stopped him.

"What did he want?" Sanderson asked.

"The investigation to be closed. Obviously its someone close to Durant, but I can't just close down the inquiry, people will start asking questions, and the price stacking will go on an-" again Sanderson interrupted him.

"And if we can delete this photo?"

"Can you?"

"If we can find it. What's the address of your mistress?"

"148 Haroldson Drive, why?" Sanderson walked over to Pope's desk, accessing the central Police database, accessing the CCTV camera for the 140 block of Haroldson Drive, and going back to that night. They watched Pope's car arrive, and then a van pull up across the street. They watched Finnegan get out of his car, and take the photos, before slipping away. They then ran both his face and license number, and got his home address, as well as his place of business, the Daily Telegraph.

"Alright, we can erase the photo from the Telegraph servers from here, but we need to send people to check Durant Holding's main server, as it is protected from easy access, and this Finnegan's home. We'll need a few cops we can trust." And they found them, all under investigation by Internal Affairs for obvious mistakes. They would be given a second chance if they did this operation. In addition, they would requisition a single MQ-10 Bloodhound police UCAV, in case of sever opposition.

[center]***[/center]
That night, just after the Daily Telegraph's servers had been wiped of the photo, the dangerous part began. Two four man teams of Pope's cops moved out, four heading for Finnegan's house, and four for Durant Holdings, with the UCAV orbiting between the two. Back in Parliament, Pope and Sanderson co-ordinated the action from Pope's desk.

At Finnegan's home, the four moved up, knocking on his door. Finnegan came down the stairs, and opened the door. Each constable was armed with an electric baton, which also had a pulse setting that could temporarily stun a target at a distance. Finnegan took a baton to the face, and collapsed on his floor. He was moved to the couch, as the constables searched his house, clearing his hard drives and cameras of any trace of the photo, and then they interrogated him, before injecting him with an amnesiac.

Things at Durant Holdings would prove to be a little more difficult. They were stopped for a second by the security, before they waved a search warrant signed by Pope, and made their way up to the top floor. They would first search Durant's computer, before using it to access the Durant Holding's mainframe. They stepped into the elevator, and just after the doors closed, the security guards called up to Durant's office.

There, Durant looked out the window, and swore. Pope's men were on their way to eliminate Durant from the scene. He would give them no chance. He opened his desk drawer, taking out both a machine pistol of the percussion cap variety, and a liner accelerator pistol, stepping outside and addressing his bodyguards. They drew their percussion cap submachine guns, watching for the enemy. One would stay and cover the elevators, while Durant and the other made for the hovercraft on the roof. They would make a run for the countryside, ditch, get another craft, and get to France, outside of Pope's jurisdiction.

Durant and his man were entering the stairwell when the elevator dinged. Inside, Ethan Griffin readied his baton in case of opposition, and the doors opened. All he heard was the thunder of gunfire, and he fell to the ground, pain racking his body. Somehow, he stayed alive, even as it seemed the rest of the team had died, and made a desperate call for help. The UCAV came flying in, swooping past just missing Durant on the rooftop, aiming its precision rifled chaingun at the bodyguard, taking him down in one burst, before ascending to the roof.

Durant turned around to see the UCAV hovering up, and drew his linear pistol. The UCAV cut down the other bodyguard, and reloaded with stun rounds, as Durant armed his pistol. Sanderson grinned at what seemed to be a desperate move by Durant. His grin disappeared when the screen went blank. He swore, and called for another UCAV, yelling to Griffin that he was the last chance of stopping Durant's escape. Griffin was already in the stairwell, trying to prevent Durant's escape.

He flung open the last door to see Durant trying to activate the hovercraft. Durant fired a burst from his machine pistol, and Griffin dove for cover. He activated the stun mode on his baton, waited, then turned out, hitting Durant glancingly. Durant fell out of the vehicle, his gun sliding over the edge. Griffin walked up, and stopped Durant's attempt to rise by placing his foot in Durant's chest.

"We got you, you piece of filth" he said, and prepared to swing the baton "Wait!" It was Durant.

"Wait! I am not the filth. Pope is. He is using the Police as his personal hit men, he is using you to cover up his own mistakes,"

"He was not the one that committed mass fraud!" Griffin yelled back.

"We had no choice! Our operation costs were rising, and we had no other way to raise food costs without causing riots! We did everything out of concern for the people, the common man. Pope acted only for himself!"

Griffin hesitated at this revelation, the fundamental shift, in his perception, of Durant from villain to victim. Durant saw the shift and decided to press home his advantage.

"It is Pope's fault that those comrades of yours are dead!" he yelled, and Griffin stood up. The UCAV was approaching, and Sanderson yelling in his ear, but Griffin did not care. He stepped over Durant, towards the UCAV, and raised his baton, firing at it. The UCAV spun out of control, cut off from Sanderson but still flying. Durant and Griffin hurried into the hovercraft, lifting into the skies.

Back at Parliament, Sanderson watched in fury as the screen was restored, and he watched the hovercraft make its way towards the Thames river. The UCAV followed, and soon was directly behind the hovercraft.

"Say goodnight, mister Durant" he said, before tapping a button. The UCAV fired, and the hovercraft span into the Thames.

[center]***[/center]

"Next on the BBC, today's headlines. Grace?"

"Thanks Will. Today, shocking revelations about Home Minister Benjamin Pope, a women named Jasmine Long claims to have had an affair with Pope, lasting until today, when in anger after him leaving her, she reveled everything to a call-in talk show. Also, a man in Westminster reports that men disguised as constables broke into his house, assaulted him, and vandalized his property. But first, the biggest story of the day, the shootout at Durant Holdings last night.

Several constables were sent to detain Durant after he was assessed as a flight risk, when they encountered several of Durant's hired guns. All the bodyguards, and three constables were killed, according to the Home Department, and one of the top secret Bloodhound drones was shot down by unknown means. Durant as of now is missing, as is one of the constables. The Home Department maintains that Durant took the last officer hostage, and attempted to flee, before crashing into the Thames.
This contradicts some eyewitness accounts, who reportedly saw a Bloodhound firing into a hovercraft that was allegedly Durant's, before the craft plunged into the Thames.The Home Department dismissed these claims as "ridiculous an..."
Last edited by Bavin on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bavin
The Mindset's Bitch

Post by Bavin »

OOC: Is that a good length? I'd like to know so I know what I'm aiming for lengthwise.
Naggeroth
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Empire of
Name: Naggeroth

Post by Naggeroth »

I won't be marking length; except in its appropriateness to the story. If the story needed to be longer to get more information in then I'd suggest that, but I won't look at two stories of equal writing ability and give the longer one a better mark. Its all about appropriateness.

So make them as long as you think they should be; my only judgement in length will be if your story had enough time to work.