Need some help with finishing up a design...

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Need some help with finishing up a design...

Post by Flaming Souls »

My Gemini Class 30km Worldships have recently been refitted with weapons...assuming all non-critical personnel were moved offship (around 2 million people give or take) and all the extra space were converted to weapons gear and all their associated subsystems, what kind of kinetic weapons and how many do you think I could fit on there?
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Re: Need some help with finishing up a design...

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Well, you can only mount so many guns on it. Especially since it's structure wasn't designed to mount kinetic weapons in the first place.

However, a thirty kilometer ship has space for lots of ammo.

Beyond that, I can't say much. I have no idea what kind of kinetic weapons you us. Though I suppose you could mount big honking railguns if it's that much of an issue. :P
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Post by Flaming Souls »

I am pretty much a Railgun kinda guy...I am just trying to think of sizes...
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Flaming Souls wrote:I am pretty much a Railgun kinda guy...I am just trying to think of sizes...
As big as you want. This ship is huge, so pretty much anything, so long as it isn't crazy like a 10 kilometer-caliber cannon or something.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Post by Flaming Souls »

But a few 1km long ones would be plausible? Ah if only I had time to produce a new Gemini...Spinal mounted...20km long...*drool*
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Flaming Souls wrote:But a few 1km long ones would be plausible? Ah if only I had time to produce a new Gemini...Spinal mounted...20km long...*drool*
I'm not speaking so much as the length, but rather the bore diameter. :P

But yeah, for a ship that huge, a kilometer long gun is plausible.
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Post by Flaming Souls »

Well, unlike some people *cough*TFU*cough* I rather like to utilize and make sure Physics won't stop me. I was thinking maybe 1km in length with a bore of around 200m. After all, this entire refit is designed to take down the Death Star. Of course, it wasn't my plan. No one like my plan. I said call your local Moisture Farm, ask for the whiniest little punk with 2 droids and a landspeeder and bam you have a Death Star stopper.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Flaming Souls wrote:Well, unlike some people *cough*TFU*cough* I rather like to utilize and make sure Physics won't stop me. I was thinking maybe 1km in length with a bore of around 200m. After all, this entire refit is designed to take down the Death Star. Of course, it wasn't my plan. No one like my plan. I said call your local Moisture Farm, ask for the whiniest little punk with 2 droids and a landspeeder and bam you have a Death Star stopper.
...I'm torn between my inner warsie and my desire to see the Deathstar destroyed.

Hmm... How fast do your railgun slugs usually go? And what's their mass? If you don't know that, do you at least know what their material is?
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Post by Flaming Souls »

Well, considering that Sith is the one controlling said DS, I think I know where your loyalties would lie. As for the details, my slugs can hit .99c as I am a bit unorthodox by strapping engines to the back of them. Cheap, inefficient, and surplus. As for mass, I don't know exactly, but I use Tungsten rounds, and they will be 200m in diameter and perfectly spherical.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Flaming Souls wrote:Well, considering that Sith is the one controlling said DS, I think I know where your loyalties would lie. As for the details, my slugs can hit .99c as I am a bit unorthodox by strapping engines to the back of them. Cheap, inefficient, and surplus. As for mass, I don't know exactly, but I use Tungsten rounds, and they will be 200m in diameter and perfectly spherical.
.99c? How do you deal with time dilation?