Need some help with finishing up a design...

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Re: Need some help with finishing up a design...

Post by Flaming Souls »

It takes it a long time to hit .99c For actual combat it's something more along the lines of 3000km/s
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

Flaming Souls wrote: I use Tungsten rounds

Nothing gets my e-peen to full arms like a block of tungsten through someone's starboard hull. :D
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Hold on a moment. You mean you're arming those monstrous ships you said would be defensive carriers, the ones that are going to get RAPED by inertia if you try to turn them without hyperdrive? Pray that you never get stuck in an FTLi bog, my friend, because if you are, that ship is going nowhere. Or it'll go somewhere - but slowly breaking up into bits and pieces while turning the living crew into sludge. Even if it's for killing US.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Thus why he should use drives that move the universe around the ship instead of the reverse.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Post by Arizona Nova »

Futuramamuch?
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

FS, have you considered going for missiles or torpedoes instead of railguns? That way, you don't have to worry so much about your refitted civilian ship turning all that much, since presumably the missiles can reorient themselves.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Arizona Nova wrote:Futuramamuch?
Partially, as with many its a concept that people have considered for the future.
Flaming Souls
I Pwn the Skies

Post by Flaming Souls »

Thought about it, but I just can't do missiles. Most of my rail guns are able to be aimed, as they are on a turret style base.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Arizona Nova wrote:Hold on a moment. You mean you're arming those monstrous ships you said would be defensive carriers, the ones that are going to get RAPED by inertia if you try to turn them without hyperdrive? Pray that you never get stuck in an FTLi bog, my friend, because if you are, that ship is going nowhere. Or it'll go somewhere - but slowly breaking up into bits and pieces while turning the living crew into sludge. Even if it's for killing US.

*pokes around the ol' armoury*

I'd take some creative field geometry, but an inertialess SLDS or reactionless Unified Inertial Field drive would allow you to turn without stressing the hull or painting the walls in shades of Crewman Crimson.

Or nuclear-bound SAPL structural members, or the newer N-Field generators to just reinforce the ship.

Tho that's just off the top of my head...

And then there's the classic 'inertial compensator' sci-fi handwavium solution, or force-fields.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Post by Arizona Nova »

Inertial compensators can only pull so much. When inertia starts getting so bad that you need to divert massive amounts of power from systems like, say, weapons and shields, your ship is too big.
~Anikar

{Back Burner}