Immortality is but a small fee away!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Immortality is but a small fee away!

Post by Kreshh »

Concerned that your fragile meat-based body may be harmed in an accident, or perhaps foul play? Made a few too many powerful enemies or just a bit reckless?

Fear not! For a moderate, negotiable fee peace of mind can be yours forever!

For a limited time the Kreshh are generously offering Resurrection Stones! â„¢ Simply allow our talented surgeons to implant this remarkable devise into your abdominal cavity (or equivalent), the Resurrection Stoneâ„¢ will then integrate itself with your cellular biology, metabolism, neural configuration, physiology, and other outstanding features! The Resurrection Stoneâ„¢ will record everything there is to know about you down to the last speck of protein in your eyelashes (or equivalent), with up-to-the-minute updates!

If in the unfortunate event that some tragic injury should befall your person, simply inform your next of kin to deposit the Resurrection Stoneâ„¢ and any one of our designated restoration depots, where our skilled bio-technicians will carefully reconstruct your body exactly as you left it, at no extra charge!*

The Resurrection Stoneâ„¢ is guaranteed to survive even the most severe of circumstance!** Even if your physical body is completely destroyed, the Resurrection Stoneâ„¢ will remain!

Comes in 8 designer colors!***

*Extra charge applied for cosmetic alterations
** Guarantee does not extend to temperatures above 5700°C or below -272°C or pressures exceeding 144 kilobars. Contact with 570,000 rads or more, antimater, singularities, matter anihilation technology, psionic weaponry, or other circumstances deemed “unforseeable� may void guarantee.
***Six of which are visible to humans.
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Re: Immortality is but a small fee away!

Post by Trailers »

Developed similiar tech eight thousand years ago, danke. =D
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

*hugs the Athan*
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Trailers wrote:Developed similiar tech eight thousand years ago, danke. =D
But does it come in designer colors? :P
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

And does it have a catch? You should be very suspicious of anything the Kreshh are trying to peddle, you know.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Likewise - several options, actually, and none of them are this continuity-lacking restore-from-backup false-immortality.

From clinical immortality to teleoperated avatars to hardened neural cores to distributed sapiences' to an actual afterlife with limited physical manifestation. :mrgreen:

I've actually considered selling a few over the years, but figured most people who don't have immortality in some form prolly don't want to RP that kind of dynamic.
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Kanuckistan wrote:
Likewise - several options, actually, and none of them are this continuity-lacking restore-from-backup false-immortality.

From clinical immortality to teleoperated avatars to hardened neural cores to distributed sapiences' to an actual afterlife with limited physical manifestation. :mrgreen:

Clinical immortality is fine, but if you are, say, assassinated... you're still as screwed as a schoolgirl in a Mekantan dungeon. Besides, the stone really isn't designed to keep you alive indefinitely, it just provides insurance in case of... premature demise. If you had a severe heart condition when you died, your body will be recast with the same condition (well, unless you pay us extra that is)

A teleoperated avatar is less problematic in terms of accidental death, but on the other hand you could still be assassinated (possibly even more easily because your attention would be focused elsewhere), and I imagine there are probably other irksome elements (range limitations, lag, etc.) The stone meanwhile allows one to live life completely normaly (of course, who knows what qualifies as normal in Kanuckistan :P )

I'm not quite sure what a 'hardened neural core' is, but it sounds almost identical to what I'm peddling. After all, the user's mind is stored safely away in the stone. And if you say, "it's not really their mind, just a duplicate" then to what degree are you willing to suspend disbelief with regard to other cybernetics? I assume the biological brain is destroyed (or at least significantly altered to the point of being unrecongnisable) in the 'hardening.'

Option 4 is, of course, pretty neat sounding. Please do elaborate... :mrgreen:

Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

A hardened neural core is an extension of the augmentative neural lace, in which the user's mental processes gradually incorporate the extra hardware, the mind effectively expanding to occupy the new space. In an HNC, the hardware is more extensive(and heavily armoured, obviously) such that, along with certain stimulation, the user's mind comes to primarily consist of the Core hardware, with the jellyware fully functional and incorporated in mental processes.

In this way the mind can survive the destruction of even all it's organics and adapt without any real loss, akin to minor brain damage(of the kind that has virtually no effect, if that). It also maintains proper continuity, which I consider vital - without it, well, what's the point?

Distributed Sapiences work similarly, but with multiple CTE entanglement-networked nodes. The HNC is effectively an 'Alpha' node, tho naturally there are incomplete nodes of various levels.

As for avatars, they're teleoperated via CTE entanglement(which is fast and cheap), and mainly intended for telepresence and hazardous situations. And with the right neural augs, bio or lace, multitasking is easy, if you really want to(and if you don't, you can set it to shift focus back to your real self upon specified trigger).

The main advantage of clinical immortality is that it only costs a few hundred bucks, your kids automatically inherit it, and it's fully organic - some folks like that.
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Kanuckistan wrote:A hardened neural core is an extension of the augmentative neural lace, in which the user's mental processes gradually incorporate the extra hardware, the mind effectively expanding to occupy the new space. In an HNC, the hardware is more extensive(and heavily armoured, obviously) such that, along with certain stimulation, the user's mind comes to primarily consist of the Core hardware, with the jellyware fully functional and incorporated in mental processes.

In this way the mind can survive the destruction of even all it's organics and adapt without any real loss, akin to minor brain damage(of the kind that has virtually no effect, if that). It also maintains proper continuity, which I consider vital - without it, well, what's the point?
Not that I'm trying to argue with you (especially since it sounds like what you are describing are Kanucki cultural beliefs to some extent), but one could argue, and a Kreshh definitely would, that what's really occurring is that this hardwere is simply assuming neural functions as the user's 'true' mind atrophies from disuse, much like what happens when Kreshh take hosts. What's left is no more the 'real' person then our 'resurected' individuals, just a mechanical doppleganger.

The main advantage of clinical immortality is that it only costs a few hundred bucks, your kids automatically inherit it, and it's fully organic - some folks like that.
That's sort of what we're driving at here. The stone certainly is not intended to replace clinical immortality, nor can it really, but to augment it. There are plenty of people out there who frankly cannot afford to die for a variety of reasons (usually revolving around someone else being dependent upon them, or simply because they are a VIP.) If you have a stone, then under normal circumstances it's not an issue.

Plus we plan to run an aggressive advertising campagn. I mean, the iPhone really isn't all that inovative, but because it was marketed well thousands of idiots came flocking. Thou that beith of the 'free market,' prepare thyself!

Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Kreshh wrote: Not that I'm trying to argue with you (especially since it sounds like what you are describing are Kanucki cultural beliefs to some extent), but one could argue, and a Kreshh definitely would, that what's really occurring is that this hardwere is simply assuming neural functions as the user's 'true' mind atrophies from disuse, much like what happens when Kreshh take hosts. What's left is no more the 'real' person then our 'resurected' individuals, just a mechanical doppleganger.
Your mind isn't hardware or software/information(you only save information), it's the overall system. The new hardware is designed and presented such that the system assimilates it.

It's really as good as you're going to get. Besides, the organics don't atrophy - well, most people don't go with rigs that would do that; some don't care.

Kreshh wrote: That's sort of what we're driving at here. The stone certainly is not intended to replace clinical immortality, nor can it really, but to augment it. There are plenty of people out there who frankly cannot afford to die for a variety of reasons (usually revolving around someone else being dependent upon them, or simply because they are a VIP.) If you have a stone, then under normal circumstances it's not an issue.
Of course, a hardened neural core will do just that - and from the sounds of it, can be rather more durable. Or we can just shock-proof your brain, armour the skull, and add a life support and shielding systems, then regrow your body in a BIMENS tank; you can even spend the down-time in VR, and/or coordinating your rescue via a neural lace's CTE datalink.

Hell, let's throw in a tiny inertialess drive and retractable(thus protected) sensor probes - the natives frag you, your head can still escape to your orbiting starship. :mrgreen:

Kreshh wrote: Plus we plan to run an aggressive advertising campagn. I mean, the iPhone really isn't all that inovative, but because it was marketed well thousands of idiots came flocking. Thou that beith of the 'free market,' prepare thyself!
Well, there is that, but I can always piggyback on your success. :drevil: