Thermopticâ„¢ Passive-Refractive and Holograohic Clothing

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Re: Thermopticâ„¢ Passive-Refractive and Holograohic Clothing

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

Kanuckistan wrote:Show off your 'heart', with the push of a button 'opening' a hole in your chest, holographics fed by woven-in med sensors relaying real-time data.
This might help you figure out what I'm thinking, CF.
This won't end well.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

The Cerberus Alliance wrote:
Kanuckistan wrote:Show off your 'heart', with the push of a button 'opening' a hole in your chest, holographics fed by woven-in med sensors relaying real-time data.
This might help you figure out what I'm thinking, CF.
Ah. Yeah, I can see what you mean.

Though I'm still in favor of opening the vict - err, patient up. Preferably with a chain-scalpel.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

The Cerberus Alliance wrote: This might help you figure out what I'm thinking, CF.

Not to undercut my own exports, but that's mostly the holographics and real-time medical sensor data - Thermopticsâ„¢ just let you 'place' the hologram inside your body.

I'll note this stuff can also be used to allow you to see through other things, however, like armour plate, or maybe you want to be able to see through your computer tower. You just need a physical path for the light to go through(and you can incorporate nifty optical effects at the same time, dynamicly even).

As for military applications, the idea was originally intended to give passive stealth to the armour of some spec-op in an RP where CF was invaded by those aliens with Somebody-Else's Problem fields. Way back, eh? I think the armour was supposed to be powered by fly-wheels, too. :mrgreen:
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

Kanuckistan wrote:Not to undercut my own exports, but that's mostly the holographics and real-time medical sensor data - Thermopticsâ„¢ just let you 'place' the hologram inside your body.
Rereading it, I figured as much. It just looks like, with a little bit of extra development to make something specialized rather than having all of the current functionality, it could be used for something other than military purposes or entertainment.
This won't end well.
Zerstorendar
ESUS Hot Lunch
Prefix: The Mannlich Imperium of
Name: Zerstorendar

Post by Zerstorendar »

Zerstorendarian soldiers have a system like this in their armour, just less powerful. However, there's no way we would want our civilians getting a hold of luxuries like this.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

While interesting, I don't see how we as a people would find this product particularly useful.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Zerstorendar wrote:Zerstorendarian soldiers have a system like this in their armour, just less powerful. However, there's no way we would want our civilians getting a hold of luxuries like this.

Just regulate the allowed refraction/overall quality, and/or the size of the transparency - it's a precision engineered system that routes light around whatever's inside it, afterall, so buying a bunch of wrist bands or a shirt with a ten inch window through the chest won't really help.

Sskiss wrote:While interesting, I don't see how we as a people would find this product particularly useful.
...you see absolutely no use for invisible dinosaurs? If nothing else it would make hunting easier(even if the prey hears/smells you, the lack of visual cues can easily allow you to confuse them on the chase, to say nothing of ambush hunting and getting close to start with), and if you put it on your armour and integrate a proper heat management system(and I can sell you thermoelectric converters to deal with heat buildup, or just CTE heat sinks) you've got true thermoptic stealth.

You can also use it to see through armour without compromising strength, and while cameras and sensors can do that, this probably scales down better. Light of harmful intensity will just polarise it, as will lasers, so no risk there.
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Sskiss wrote:While interesting, I don't see how we as a people would find this product particularly useful.
Seconded, just not aplicable to Kreshh

I mean, being invisible/semi-transparant already...
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Kreshh wrote: Seconded, just not aplicable to Kreshh

What about making equipment/etc. invisible?
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Kanuckistan wrote:
Kreshh wrote: Seconded, just not aplicable to Kreshh

What about making equipment/etc. invisible?
Have you seen my warship? We do transparant, we do it well, we do it hard.
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.