Neodammerung-class Juggernought (undergoing redesign)

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Blademasters
Site Admin

Post by Blademasters »

I'm with skiss on that one :) 5km is big enough.
"The Avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
-The Vorlons

"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
-Albert Einstein

"Few people realize that the line between sanity and insanity is actually made of cheese." -Anonymous

"If you need a subspace transceiver to radio your engine room, you might be wanking"
-Capsule Corp
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Blademasters wrote:I'm with skiss on that one :) 5km is big enough.
5km is big enough for one of my normal capital ships. :P

Lets see here...You DO realize that 2 million people wouldn't fit too well into such a small ship, right? Hell, one million probably wouldn't either.

As for the missiles: Too high, far too high unless they're really small missiles (but that takes away from the omni aspect of it.)

5,000 phasers? Are you sure you want to use phasers? They're pretty darned weak, by my reckoning (TFU's godmoding 666 million exawatt lasers nonwisthanding)

60,000 ton MACs? Feaz, I'm getting more concerned about your...slightly unrealistic stats day by day. There is realistically no way in hell you could accelerate that much material to 3/4 the speed of light without having it in a spinal mount. And if it IS a spinal mount, then you can't really have as many as you do.

Defenses: 30 meters of bio armor? Just telling you, but bio armor is actually one of the worst armors you can devise. You've got to feed it, make sure it isn't infected with viruses (bio warfare), etc.

130 meters of Titanium-A? That's fine. A bit expensive on the pocket book, and it still doesn't provide the protection of my Ubership's armor, but it's still fine.

I'm also a bit concerned about the 200,000 civilians you're planning to put on this thing. It's going to get even more crowded, and there is a major danger of them getting infected by the flood. After all, you've deigned to put flood-o-matic production bays in, and if one gets out...

Also, I would like to know how expensive it is. Just an idle curiousity there.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Feazanthia

Post by Feazanthia »

Alright, alright. I'm new to designing these things, so I'll go with this.

So far you're the only one who thinks I have too many missiles AFTER I editted it (tis only 7 million launchers now)

The phasers are Metallinauts' type XXI, FAR more powerful than anything ever fielded in the ST universe. For example...the phasers on the Enterprise-D (TNG) are type X. XI phasers produce 115% as much energy as their predecessors. The XI produces a maximum single discharge of 620 MW. Now, if each subsequent variant produces 15% more power (which is probably being conservative) then the type XXI are more than capable of providing point defense and "tenderizing" blows.

The MACs are based on the MAC weaponry surrounding Reach and Earth in the Halo novels. Now, these were written by Eric Nylund (with the exception of The Flood, which was written by William C. Dietz and was, in my opinion, substandard). Eric Nylund has a Bachelors in chemistry and a MASTERS in physics. These weapons were, therefore, desinged by him. It's logical to believe they're realistically sound. Maybe the speed is a tad high, though. I never actually read how fast they go. I'll bump it to 1/2.

I chose bio armor because regenerating nanite armor is already taken by several people. I'm keeping it for now, but I'm thinking of an alternative. Thank you for the heads up.

As for the Titanium-A...if the three seperate shield generators fail, the ship's pretty screwed anyways. It's cheaper than my standard diamond-obsidian.

I said it'd have SPACE for 20,000 civilians. This is a military craft through and through. That space would be used if I had to, say, evacuate a planet that the Juggernought was guarding.

And may I remind you that the Kanuckistani battleplate is smaller than this craft, yet holds MORE crew.
Nations drown in turmoil
As blood is set upon soil
Peace is a lost dream
My sword is a merciless reality

The enemy creeps in darkness
And dwindles my people
My enemy turns worlds to deserts
With the heat of his enmity

Crimson seas call my name
Caves of death beckon me
The worlds have been doomed
Time has set itself against us

The redemption of my era
Will be brought about by fire
For I am the messiah of my age
Forgive me for the heavens torn asunder
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Feazanthia wrote:Alright, alright. I'm new to designing these things, so I'll go with this.

So far you're the only one who thinks I have too many missiles AFTER I editted it (tis only 7 million launchers now)

The phasers are Metallinauts' type XXI, FAR more powerful than anything ever fielded in the ST universe. For example...the phasers on the Enterprise-D (TNG) are type X. XI phasers produce 115% as much energy as their predecessors. The XI produces a maximum single discharge of 620 MW. Now, if each subsequent variant produces 15% more power (which is probably being conservative) then the type XXI are more than capable of providing point defense and "tenderizing" blows.
They're just PD weapons then. Thanks for clearing that up.
Feazanthia wrote:The MACs are based on the MAC weaponry surrounding Reach and Earth in the Halo novels. Now, these were written by Eric Nylund (with the exception of The Flood, which was written by William C. Dietz and was, in my opinion, substandard). Eric Nylund has a Bachelors in chemistry and a MASTERS in physics. These weapons were, therefore, desinged by him. It's logical to believe they're realistically sound. Maybe the speed is a tad high, though. I never actually read how fast they go. I'll bump it to 1/2.
I wasn't questioning the technology behind the MAC (The halo books are amongst my all time favorites :)) but rather I was questioning the speed and size of the rounds that these guns shoot. IIRC, the largest shell fired in the book was a 100 ton shell from the Super MACs in orbit of reach. And those needed a whole darned planet's worth of reactor complexes to keep em firing.

And they don't fire a signifigant fraction of c, otherwise the Covenant craft would not be able to survive even one hit from the MAC rounds. (Seeing as how in TFoR a covenant frigate managed to take two MACs. I'm basing that opinion on that Covenant plasma weapons are not particuarly powerful, shown by the fact that they repeatedly fail to destroy capital ships with low meters thick titanium armor in one blast. See: The pillar of Autumn, the Gettysburg (I think that was it. The TFoR frigate that the Spartans rode on to get their original Mjolnir armor.)
Feazanthia wrote:And may I remind you that the Kanuckistani battleplate is smaller than this craft, yet holds MORE crew.
I wasn't aware of that. I've never seen hard stats on a Kanuckistani battleplate, IIRC.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Feazanthia

Post by Feazanthia »

I'm holding TFoR in front of me now, and the MACs surrounding Reach did indeed fire 60,000 ton shots. The Gettysburg, if I recall from First Strike, fired 600-ton shots of depleted uranium. I can reference pages if you want. And I've knocked the speed back to standard 1/2 SoL. And in TFoR the Super MAC guns could each take out even a cruiser with one shot. The reason they lost was because the Covenant had too damn many ships, jumped too close to the planet, and managed to take the reactors on the ground. It was the ship-borne MACs that took two or three hits to kill a Covvie frigate. Also, remember that they were designed to kill unshielded ships. Using the 'Keyes Loop', Captain Keyes took out the shields of three Covenant frigates (IIRC) with a Shiva nuke and the proceeded to pop each one with a MAC round.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nations drown in turmoil
Peace is a lost dream

And dwindles my people

Caves of death beckon me

The redemption of my era
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

You still have not answered my first question.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Okay, page 296 of TFoR states
Eric S. Nylund, Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 296 wrote:"They had one advantage: the MAC orbital guns around reach--the UNSC's most powerful nonnuclear weapon. Some called them 'Super' MAC guns or the 'Big Stick.'

Their linear accelerator coils were larger than a UNSC cruiser. They propelled a three-thousand-ton projectile at tremendous speed"

Emphasis mine.

Edit: Fixed spelling of Cruiser. :P I copied it wrong.

Edit2: Double checked 3,000 ton figure. Yup, it says 3,000 tons.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feazanthia

Post by Feazanthia »

Metallinauts wrote:You still have not answered my first question.
I thought I did. Mindset clarified that automation takes the place of crew in many higher-tech ships. I tend to go for a balance, as automation tends to blow up or something like that.
Nations drown in turmoil
Peace is a lost dream

And dwindles my people

Caves of death beckon me

The redemption of my era
Feazanthia

Post by Feazanthia »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:Okay, page 296 of TFoR states
Eric S. Nylund, Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 296 wrote:"They had one advantage: the MAC orbital guns around reach--the UNSC's most powerful nonnuclear weapon. Some called them 'Super' MAC guns or the 'Big Stick.'

Their linear accelerator coils were larger than a UNSC criser. They propelled a three-thousand-ton projectile at tremendous speed"

Three thousand tons? That's far from the 60,000 ton projectile you were speaking of.
...I stand corrected. Where the hell did I get 60,000 ton projectile? Still...three thousand tons is damn powerful. Edit I will.
Nations drown in turmoil
Peace is a lost dream

And dwindles my people

Caves of death beckon me

The redemption of my era
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

Feazanthia wrote:
Metallinauts wrote:You still have not answered my first question.
I thought I did. Mindset clarified that automation takes the place of crew in many higher-tech ships. I tend to go for a balance, as automation tends to blow up or something like that.
No no no no no no, is the name of the your ship inspired from the song from the matrix.