Looking for a psi shield for the Dreadnought

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Wetland
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Looking for a psi shield for the Dreadnought

Post by Wetland »

I am looking for a shield to protect the crew of the flagship from psychic attacks and I don't have the tech-base to make it so who wants to sell me one?

Here is the ship in question by the way:

Dreadnought
role: mothership
length: 10 km
mass: 516.1 million metric tons
crew: 1600
power: 3 Mk. I Zero-point energy core
Engines: 8 warp nacelles/16 reactionless drives/jump engines
Speed: 70.000c/0.6c
duration: 48 months
weapons:
30 phased particle beam arrays.
62 12-barreled multi-launchers capable of launching ZPE missiles worth 150 megatons each or FD-1 Bee’s.
The ship carries 7,440 ZPE missiles and 1,488 Bee’s.
250 laser turrets
20 twin plasma cannons
2 soliton wave emitter
80 multibarreled decoy launchers carrying 6,400 decoys.
defense: 15.7 meters of Astorium with multiple layers and polarisation capacity plus a “Interfold� shield generator and several Mk. II “Accumulator� shield generators protecting vital areas.
Carries: 900 fighters, 150 'Alpha' dropships, 300 'Beta' dropships, 4 CW-3 'Battle Crabs', 2,000 CIS-W1 'Gladiators', 600 HT-1 'Dragons' and 15,000 marines.
Cost: 864.3 billion

This is the proposed flagship of the Wettic navy and it is a beast. She carries the same amount of soldiers and equipment as three Jupiter C battleships and even more fighters. Her defensive and offensive capabilities are even more awe inspiring and that is what this ship was designed to do. Not so much a flexible weapon as one that simply intimidates the enemy and hopefully make it surrender before firing a shot. But if anybody is foolish enough to take the Dreadnought on, she can take a lot and dish out even more.

There are of course weaknesses in the design. For one, at sublight speeds she is slower then the latest additions to the navy although she can still keep up with other battleships. Manoeuvrability is poor as can be expected from a ship this big and the belly of the ship is less well armed then the rest of her. But thanks to a new shield technology, thick armour and a decentralised power grid this ship can survive most attacks.

“Interfold� shield
The Interfold shield is a new development coming out of Zehaidran and it works by folding space locally so close that a ‘fold’ is created that protects the ship from harm. Unfortunately it takes a lot of power to establish the shield and it can’t be too small or too big or it will collapse immediately, taking the ship with it. Once the shield is established, it requires little power to keep it up unless it gets destabilised. The shield protects the ship against conventional weaponry as well as gravitational, temporal and spatial based weapons. However every time something hits it, the shield becomes unstable and enough hits will deplete the energy reserves and cause the shields to fail. There is also a time limit to how long it can be operated, which is 3 hours at the moment.

Soliton wave emitter
Actually based on the same principles as the Interfold shield system, this weapon creates an area of spatial turbulence of about 30 million terawatts between the two emitters situated in the prongs of the Dreadnought. Once enough turbulence has been gathered the wave is unleashed at a speed greater then that of light, thirty times to be more precise. Conventional shielding usually doesn’t offer much protection against this type of attack and even other shielding would take quite a beating from this attack.
Last edited by Wetland on Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fear me, if you dare!
And read my story on fanfiction, please.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Damnit, you stole my shields! *attempts to bites own ear off*

Anyway, I don't know much about psi shields, being that we need psykers on the ship in order to set them up. I have some small, computerized psykers, but I don't know if that's what you want.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

We can sell you mind shields. They blank any and all psionic interaction within a limited area. The problem is that they produce a very visible 'blank area' which is very easy to detect by psionic means.

Edit: The price is way too low. A ship like this should cost in the trillions.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Indra Prime
Prefix: The 42nd Itteration of
Name: Indra Prime

Post by Indra Prime »

There is no kind of shielding that can protect from all four kinds of weapons that you described. Especially temporal weaponry. The modulation of temporal weaponry does not get affected by the shielding particles or energy fields that may be emitted unless it is especially designed for defence against temporal weaponry. Despite our most significant advancement in this field, Indra Prime herself has not managed to develop a shield that can withstand both temporal and conventional weapons.
Wetland
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Wetland »

Finally some critizisime on one of my ships! It took long enough.
Now lets see, the ship already costs 6 times more then any other ship in the fleet but you are right, perhaps I should add another 300 billion to the prize.

The shield can stop temporal weapons because space and time are linked. The shield doesn't work with particles or energy but with space itself, it just costs a lot of energy to keep space bend and twisted that way when a weapon hits it. I hope that is a good explanation, and the shield wouldn't be very effective against temporal or spatial weaponry anyway. Those would affect the shield more then other weaponry thus bringing it down a lot faster.

CF: We are very interested in those mindshields, we are only looking for a shield that can protect the crew during combat so the blank area is no problem. It's not like it isn't hard to notice anyway.
Fear me, if you dare!
Indra Prime
Prefix: The 42nd Itteration of
Name: Indra Prime

Post by Indra Prime »

Well, if we followed the general principles that relate Space and Time together, your shielding would technically be something that would warp space but would not stop everything that you say. Oh and btw, spatial is nothing fancy. Its just another word for conventional weapons. For example, torpedoes with a nuclear charge, would merely be spatial nuclear charges. There is not any special thing about spatial except its just a fancy word for space.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Wetland wrote: CF: We are very interested in those mindshields, we are only looking for a shield that can protect the crew during combat so the blank area is no problem. It's not like it isn't hard to notice anyway.
Well, my computerized psykers do much the same, along with a few extras. I'm not trying to compete, just trying to help. Basically, they're processors with a cloned brain of a psyker inside of them. They can shield against other psykers, but can also release a psychic 'scream', a targeted psychic blast, or influence decisions. There is also a short period where full augmentation of a body is possible, by forcing every portion of the brain to believe that it's body is such. However, this effect takes around a day to take effect, unless it is subtracting from the body, or ceasing the function of a piece of the body. This take less time, as little as ten seconds, in the case of a ceased bodily function. This extreme function often destroys the computerized psyker. The drawback is that these will cost more, due to the fact that you need multiple units, and the added features.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Wetland
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Wetland »

Indra: spatial referred to weapons that used the fabric of space itself as a weapon. My own Ripper beam is an example of that. But if you don't accept my shield, its useless.

JJR: That is very interesting approach but I am afraid that the House and the Counsil would go berserk if they learned that we used that in the construction of the Dreadnought.

Until further notice, this project has been shelved after the navy learned that the scientist responsible for coming up with the new shielding system changed his data to make the system feasable. He has been arrested and the system is currently under review to see if it can be done, by a team of scientists this time.

The House has asked some painful questions to the Counsil and the secretary of defense is expected to resign tomorrow.
Fear me, if you dare!