I need YOUR ANTI-NANITE / ANTI-TEMPORAL SHIELDS!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

Humans are also mainly made of nothing, as is everything, atomically speaking.

JJR, it's a disproportionally small force. See, it may be an Earth gravity field, but the force it exerts on you would be far far more than what it'd exert on a nanite. So whilst it wouldn't need a large force, your expensive intense gravity field would only ever exert a tiny force on the minute nanite. And a small gravity field would exert an even smaller field, so you can't get round it with a flimsy field. As I keep saying, a gravity field will work, as long as it's a very strong gravity field.
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Jordaxia wrote:Humans are also mainly made of nothing, as is everything, atomically speaking.

JJR, it's a disproportionally small force. See, it may be an Earth gravity field, but the force it exerts on you would be far far more than what it'd exert on a nanite. So whilst it wouldn't need a large force, your expensive intense gravity field would only ever exert a tiny force on the minute nanite. And a small gravity field would exert an even smaller field, so you can't get round it with a flimsy field. As I keep saying, a gravity field will work, as long as it's a very strong gravity field.
Look, let me give you an example: On Earth, everything falls at the same speed, no matter what the mass. Same gravatic field. This is because the mass of an object, the gravity exertable on an object, and the inertia of an object are all interconnected.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Post by Five Civilized Nations »

I could sell you my Quar SubOne shields for a price. They're capable of lasting two hours in the face of Level Thirteen Temporal weaponry...
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA
Founding Member of the IADF (Dissolved)

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error."--Benjamin Disraeli
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

We have blowdriers available, too, if anyone wants them. Also, antimatter is good against the buggers. You know, the whole radiation thing? And, of course, magnets.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

Wrong. Everything accelerates towards Earth at the same velocity, that of 10ms-2 (or if you prefer the other notation 10m/s/s ) however, their terminal velocities can be quite different. Friction related to air has a profound effect on larger objects, it's why you don't plummet into the ground when you open your parachute. (I know that it's technically 9.8ms-2, but we're not really needing the exact figure.)

Surface area is key in that example, but that's not the point, so ignore it if you want. However, for everything to accelerate towards the surface of the Earth at 10ms-2 they need to be subject to wildly different forces. Your nanite for example, would have a force exerted on it of 0.000001N exerted on it in an Earth gravity field (that's because of W=ma) (I'm assuming it had a mass of 1 microgram) compared to a 30kg mass which would have a force of 300N exerted on it. Quite a difference, no? So if your nanite was flung at a target at say.... a few thousand metres per second, this tiny force isn't going to affect the nanite to any real degree, even if it might be a relatively strong force. Also, sheer electromagnetics would exert a far stronger force on the nanites (coulombs law), so a stream of them would force its way through the gravity field quite simply. (example of this, rocket engine. A rocket pushes itself against an object (the gases exploding behind it) in order to push past a gravity field. It's a rare occasion where you see a rocket splat against Earths gravity.)

Your statement of regardless of mass is completely wrong though. A feather weighs significantly less than you do, does it fall to Earth at the same speed you do? It's terminal velocity is far lower than yours, so its acceleration is balanced out far faster than yours.

Erk. A prize for someone who actually understood that. Not for the physics, that's basic stuff, but my writing was awful. I'm sure I contradicted myself about ten times, even though individually I don't think I said anything wrong....
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.
Shadow Tech
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Shadow Tech »

Yes 5CN but were can I discuss this with you?
Shadow Tech
"We splooge in your gene pool"
"In soviet ST ships choose you."