The PHALANX Project - Guaranteed to revolutionize combat

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Feazanthia

The PHALANX Project - Guaranteed to revolutionize combat

Post by Feazanthia »

Since nearly the dawn of time, mankind has sought more efficient ways to anihilate one another. Such is true amongst many of the myriad races of the universe. As technology reached into the stars, battlefield tactics began whittling down to strength in either the physical or numerical sense. In today's battlefield, massive dreadnoughts trade broadsides with squadrons of frigates. Fighter squadrons disintigrate each other with reckless abandon. In the end, it is the fleet with more strength that wins, as opposed to military guile.
The PHALANX project was begun to make up for Feazanthia's lack in both these fields. The technology to implant a capital ship class reactor into a frigate has always existed, it has just been counter-intuitive to do so. To equip scores of frigates with massive reactors would not only be costly, but would provide the vessel with no real advantage. Power is useless with nowhere to go, and smaller vessels simply cannot support a weapon on the scale of a Yamato cannon or heavy MAC guns.
And so, another avenue was sought. Though vessels carry individual shielding, that shielding does nothing to protect a vessel that has, say, suffered a power loss. The PHALANX system rectifies this. Equipped on several of these medium frigates are massive shield arrays. These arrays cover the frigate themselves, but also project a shield outwards from the ship in the forward direction. When used in groups, PHALANX frigates can use their onboard A.I.s to "SmartLink" and combine the energy of their CapShip reactors. Because the frigate carries only a few phaser turrets for point defense and only a small crew cabin, over 95% of reactor output can be used to power the shield. When PHALANX shields are merged into a larger array, the shield becomes nearly inpenetrable. It is estimated that even the "Super Laser" of the Sith Death Star would only be able to significantly damage the shield.
When an allied fleet ship fires, the A.I. aboard the PHALANX vessel supporting that portion of the shield will open a gap just wide enough for the shot to bass through.
The disadvantage of this system is that the shield is largely ineffective against shielded fighters. Even a weak deflector shield will allow a vessel to pass through. Care must be taken to keep the lightly-armored frigates from being destroyed by enemy fighters.

Without further ado, the PHALANX.

Length: 520 meters
Width: 120 meters
Height: 42 meters
Power: 2 ArTek SC class AQS reactors
FTL Propulsion: SFTE Mk. 2
SL Propulsion: 4 Solar Ionization engines
Armament: 6 type XXI phaser turrets
Defense: 20cm Titanium-A, PHALANX shield emitters
Nations drown in turmoil
As blood is set upon soil
Peace is a lost dream
My sword is a merciless reality

The enemy creeps in darkness
And dwindles my people
My enemy turns worlds to deserts
With the heat of his enmity

Crimson seas call my name
Caves of death beckon me
The worlds have been doomed
Time has set itself against us

The redemption of my era
Will be brought about by fire
For I am the messiah of my age
Forgive me for the heavens torn asunder
Feazanthia

Post by Feazanthia »

No comments?
Nations drown in turmoil
As blood is set upon soil
Peace is a lost dream
My sword is a merciless reality

The enemy creeps in darkness
And dwindles my people
My enemy turns worlds to deserts
With the heat of his enmity

Crimson seas call my name
Caves of death beckon me
The worlds have been doomed
Time has set itself against us

The redemption of my era
Will be brought about by fire
For I am the messiah of my age
Forgive me for the heavens torn asunder
The Silver Turtle

Post by The Silver Turtle »

It's a bit big for what is basically a shield projector.
The armour, is that 20cm titanium (ie the A standing for "armour") or some strange uber-form of titanium? 'Cos if it's not an uber-form then it's also very lightly armoured even for a firgate.
Nice pic though.
If we do not live another day,
Say this over our pyre:
They died like High Guard Lancers
With their faces to the fire.

Regimental Hymn of the 13th Imperial Lancers