The Mech Debate!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Underwater Asylum wrote:I use the classic Evangelions. Can we say, AT field?
Why are AT fields so special? Didn't a 400gw positron beam rifle penetrate one? I mean, 400gw is like one of my light mecha mounted lasers!
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Aegeus

Post by Aegeus »

plus, AT fields are actually of a religious origin. if you watched all the series, they spoke about how an AT field is actually the barrier between your soul and everything else's.

now, JJR. first of all, how efficicent would you be if you had to drive something forward whislt aiming the huge guns on the top of it, moitering the engine, and making sure your ammo doesnt jam. now, try driving a mech in a VR suit that mimics natural motions. the only thing you'd need is a HUD, and you wouldnt need to have any special equipment. Its true you'd need a good computer, and big leegs for your motion, but somone proved another point, you can use generic grav-defiers (repulsor lifts etc) to help keep your mech's mass off of the ground.

another thing ide like to point out is your saying you CANNOT have a mech operate for it's relative mass for its construction mterials. One word: Nachtium.

anywho, i pride myself on my uber-huge groundbased Titans and my supirior troops and personel armor. how many of you have a 6 million man standing army?
Theology:
Quitters never win, winners never quit,
but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.
-Aaron
------------------------
Jordaxia:
War was good until you Yanks came along with your aircraft carriers and broke it.

Jordaxia:
"sir, there's a tank column approaching!"
Doesn't matter, I'll use my carrier!
*Carrier fucks tank column over*

Aegeus:
OMGNOEEEZ!
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

You claim nachtium is the result of molecular compression. This would mean your mechs would weigh million of tonnes. They wouldn't be able to move at all, nevermind lift a limb to fire at something.
Aegeus

Post by Aegeus »

Yeah, sorry for double post, but it wouldnt let me edit it again for some reason,

anyway, but we are operating in space physics here, so for instance, all you yamamoto users or people running off of the yamamoto principle, ALL YALL WOULD BE FUCKED if we were running normal pysics. firstly, there is no reason why a magentic field will form a cylinder without an outside stimulus, and no reason why it shoudl taper to a point, now if any of you had even thought about a yamamoto focuser (which is a totally different device than a magfield generator), you wouldnt be as badly.

next example, fusion power. how exactly do you intend to start a small star, and dont give me the tritium bullshit, tritium is just funky hydrogen, there is no reason it would form a star, it'd just blow up real big.

next, anti-matter. how do you propose to make anti-matter in the quantities everyone does? how do you intend to store it? how do you intenend not to blow the shit out of yourselves every time you use your FTL.

netx again, and this is last cause im outta time. Uber-massive space ships hyperspacing. A huge gravimetric body randomly apearing in space would cause all of the atoms in that area to compress then explode, because the psuo-equilibrium generated by the protons and electrons would be shattered, and before it had time to re-balance, the atoms would blow apart. now, every time you warp your ubership around, it blows up. Not very helpful huh?

anywho. this is just a fictional story, and you dont need to argue about which are better. OMHO i think mechs are far superior to tanks. deal. with. it.
Theology:
-Aaron
------------------------
Jordaxia:
War was good until you Yanks came along with your aircraft carriers and broke it.

Jordaxia:

Aegeus:
OMGNOEEEZ!
Aegeus

Post by Aegeus »

sorry again, couldnt edit, but 3when i use nachtium for armor on non-massive ships, i use it in measures of molecules. like, the armor on the yggdrasil is only 3 molecular sequences wide, and ive done the math with avigadros number, i dpont have it here, but ill put it up when i get home.

(finnaly edits are working)

after all, i can put it on in molecular sized layers, after all, i have to build it atom by atom. (well, more like molecule by molecule)
Theology:
-Aaron
------------------------
Jordaxia:

Jordaxia:

Aegeus:
OMGNOEEEZ!
The Silver Turtle

Post by The Silver Turtle »

• Real World
    • Modern
      • Mechs=barely do-able
      • Tanks=decades of advancement behind them
      • Result: Tanks pwn mechs
    • Future
      • Mechs=do-able, but without uber-advanced tech currently only sci-fi, they're still bad in actual combat
      • Tanks=still immense
      • Result: Tanks probably still pwn mechs.
  • Nationstates
    • Modern
      • Mechs=barely do-able as modern-stuff is known and you can't get away with raping the laws of physics
      • Tanks=decades of advancement behind them+enhancement from iffy physics
      • Result: Tanks pwn mechas
    • Future
      • Mechs=easily do-able with raped physics and sci-fi materials
      • Tanks= basically the same as now except with badder guns and the occasional ability to fly
      • Result: Can go either way, depending on the precise details of mecha and tank. Overall though mecha can and should pwn tank.
Edit: Also note that with my physics-raping GFG every argument relating to inertia/mass meaning difficulty in movemen is erased due to the inertial dampening effects...
If we do not live another day,
Say this over our pyre:
They died like High Guard Lancers
With their faces to the fire.

Regimental Hymn of the 13th Imperial Lancers
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Aegeus wrote:plus, AT fields are actually of a religious origin. if you watched all the series, they spoke about how an AT field is actually the barrier between your soul and everything else's.

now, JJR. first of all, how efficicent would you be if you had to drive something forward whislt aiming the huge guns on the top of it, moitering the engine, and making sure your ammo doesnt jam. now, try driving a mech in a VR suit that mimics natural motions. the only thing you'd need is a HUD, and you wouldnt need to have any special equipment. Its true you'd need a good computer, and big leegs for your motion, but somone proved another point, you can use generic grav-defiers (repulsor lifts etc) to help keep your mech's mass off of the ground.

another thing ide like to point out is your saying you CANNOT have a mech operate for it's relative mass for its construction mterials. One word: Nachtium.

anywho, i pride myself on my uber-huge groundbased Titans and my supirior troops and personel armor. how many of you have a 6 million man standing army?
Look, you could have a HUD for the tank too! It's not like you don't have to drive the mech, or shoot in it, or watch the radar. You need to do those things in a mech too! Also, mechs do NOT mimic natural human motion. They mimic a clumsy private marching, having done so for the last 9 hours straight. Also, gravtech on a mech is quite stupid. A tank can pull it off, because it has a wide base. A mech is standing on two legs, with pads on the bottom.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:
Look, you could have a HUD for the tank too! It's not like you don't have to drive the mech, or shoot in it, or watch the radar. You need to do those things in a mech too! Also, mechs do NOT mimic natural human motion. They mimic a clumsy private marching, having done so for the last 9 hours straight. Also, gravtech on a mech is quite stupid. A tank can pull it off, because it has a wide base. A mech is standing on two legs, with pads on the bottom.
Heads up displays are going to be standard on most civilian vehicles in a few years. Tanks are already starting to use them. HUDs are not really a point of conention here. Tanks have huds, mechs have huds.

Also, a mech CAN mimic natural human movement, if you know your sci-fi tech, wankery, and psuedo physics well enough! You just need a really good gyroscope (or hijack the pilot's internal one, like I do!), an upscaled analogue for human muscles, ie Myomers, and a decent engineering capability to actually make the legs in the first place. Don't allow yourself to be constrained by what a modern tech mech has to be. This is future tech, with different rules.

Gravtech on a mech can work. It just has to partially counteract the effect of gravity working on the mech. This effect should prevent the mech from sinking into any non reinforced materials, as it would do without such a technology.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
CorpSac
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by CorpSac »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:
Underwater Asylum wrote:I use the classic Evangelions. Can we say, AT field?
Why are AT fields so special? Didn't a 400gw positron beam rifle penetrate one? I mean, 400gw is like one of my light mecha mounted lasers!
no the reason the Beam rifle penetrated the At field is cos Eva's produce an AT field and well the Eva's field and Angel field Caneul(?) each other out, and im shore it wasnt 400gw but i might be wrong since they where useing the entire power from the whole of japan.
Skeelzania
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

Post by Skeelzania »

I think we're ignoring a crucial element: airpower. No matter how much Uber-AI you stuff in a mech, its not going to be able to shoot down every projectile lobbed or dropped on it, and it won't be able to block lasers fired from aircraft (unless it has some sort of shield or blahdamnium anti-laser armor).

A tank is usually only a few feet tall, your average mech is anywhere between 20 and 60. Ground-attack planes will be able to pwn the much larger and slower mechs. All those times in MW where you shoot planes out of the sky with popguns: those planes were flying ridicously slow and low to the ground. Your not going to be able to knock out a B-52 at 50,000 feet before he knocks you out.
"Emperor of Skeelzania, Grand Prince of Solomon, Champion of the Guards, Defender of the Race, Lord of Hosts, and Heir to the Great Bad Skeelz."

Official title of the ruler of Skeelzania