The Mech Debate!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

I liked the Jaguar mech in E2150, as well as the rocket launcher tiger, because it reminded me of ED209. The spider was too boxy for my liking, so it's not a favourite of mine. The ED was my favourite side, mind. Orbital plasma cannons and meteor showers are all well and good, but come on. Nukes. Also, they have the laser cannon, and for the few levels before you get shields, you become invincible.
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.
Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Post by Mekanta »

But you have to admit that the LC can outmaneuver both sides with those hovercraft. ^_^

The LC is unstoppable on island maps.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Central Facehuggeria wrote: Stability: Err...Did you just say that lasers have recoil!? Lasers shoot a virtually massless beam of photons at a particular target. Recoil isn't even noticable, as far as I know. (Kanuckistan please correct me if I'm wrong! :P) If lasers are defeated by reflective shields, than high yield plasma weapons, particle beams, or just about any other form of decent energy weapon will suffice.
Lasers don't have(noticible) recoil, but plasma and partical weapons do.

Arizona Nova wrote:Dang! My little comment sparked quite the debate! Anyways...

One important consideration to the tank: ammo. If you're packing ginormous 4x120mm cannonz of d00m on your ginormous tank, those four cannons with those huge shells need a lot of space to store a respectable amount of ammunition. The more space it needs to store ammunition, the bigger it gets, the more armor it needs, and the slower it becomes. Whereas, cut to the mech using energy weapons - it might need extensive heat sinks, of course, but as long as the reactor is working it can still shoot. The bigger the main cannon gets, and the less the tank is a tank and it is all the more a mobile artillery piece, which means that it'll get pwned from close range.
Piloting a mech, with the right systems and implants and whatnot, I think would be like piloting a modern jet fighter. Minor AI would control the tedium while the pilot would concentrate on piloting and on blowing stuff up. Y'all need to go and buy a copy of Mechwarrior, jeez.

There you go comparing sci-fi mecha concepts to modern tech tank concepts; you can mount energy weapons on tanks just as readily as mecha, you can stick one guy in a tank with AI support like mecha, and you can redesign a tank's armour scheme to face different evolving threats(it thickening the top armour, etc).
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Arizona Nova wrote:Dang! My little comment sparked quite the debate! Anyways...

One important consideration to the tank: ammo. If you're packing ginormous 4x120mm cannonz of d00m on your ginormous tank, those four cannons with those huge shells need a lot of space to store a respectable amount of ammunition. The more space it needs to store ammunition, the bigger it gets, the more armor it needs, and the slower it becomes. Whereas, cut to the mech using energy weapons - it might need extensive heat sinks, of course, but as long as the reactor is working it can still shoot. The bigger the main cannon gets, and the less the tank is a tank and it is all the more a mobile artillery piece, which means that it'll get pwned from close range.
Piloting a mech, with the right systems and implants and whatnot, I think would be like piloting a modern jet fighter. Minor AI would control the tedium while the pilot would concentrate on piloting and on blowing stuff up. Y'all need to go and buy a copy of Mechwarrior, jeez.
Yeah... but then, instead of mounting a conventional cannon on my tank, I mount it with energy weapons. I mean, really. I don't have to put conventional cannons on a tank, it's just what happens today.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Skeelzania
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

Post by Skeelzania »

The problem with energy or railgun weapons in general though is that you can't shoot over the horizon, which DOES support the mech argument, since their horizon IS a little farther. Of course, conventional artillery or missiles on a tank is both cheaper and more efficent.
"Emperor of Skeelzania, Grand Prince of Solomon, Champion of the Guards, Defender of the Race, Lord of Hosts, and Heir to the Great Bad Skeelz."

Official title of the ruler of Skeelzania
Underwater Asylum
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Underwater Asylum »

Well, if you have mecha, give'em an arced fire solid shell cannon. Works like a railgun, in principle, but is more clumsy. Make the shell go real quick and... Ouch.
Leader of the SCC. I also command a legion of monkeys.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Underwater Asylum wrote:Well, if you have mecha, give'em an arced fire solid shell cannon. Works like a railgun, in principle, but is more clumsy. Make the shell go real quick and... Ouch.
That ouch was the mech falling over, for all you listeners out there...
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Underwater Asylum
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Underwater Asylum »

'bout right, JJR. However, if you could stabilise said mech..
Leader of the SCC. I also command a legion of monkeys.
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Post by Five Civilized Nations »

Like having four legs instead of two...
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA
Founding Member of the IADF (Dissolved)

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error."--Benjamin Disraeli
Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Post by Mekanta »

Ultimate compromise: Somethin' like the Sentinals (Squiddies) from the Matrix. (Which my Akujin are loosely based on.)

They have a reletively low target profile, they're stable, they can pack serious heat, (Hey, those lasers were still pretty primative. They took up a lot of space.) and they can fight melee. Something tanks can't do.