The Mech Debate!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Post by Mekanta »

Five Civilized Nations wrote:Right... GINNs are actually also really bad...
LIES!! You dare knock the l33tness of the GINNs?

The only thing cooler than them are the ones that are developed later in the war.

... Or Astray Gold Frame Amatsu...
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Post by Five Civilized Nations »

Or my Iron Fist, my White Knight, and my other suits...
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA
Founding Member of the IADF (Dissolved)

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error."--Benjamin Disraeli
Siesatia
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Unified Worlds of
Name: Siesatia

DO YOU WANT TANK PWNAGE? DO YOU WANT MECHA?????

Post by Siesatia »

Front mission IV is the way for you. Customizable Mech, FF tactics moving style. Plot. And best of all... Tank Pwnage.
Dear god... No more 5 year old Signature...

Proud ESUS Member since '04
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

One thing: Good gravtanks are also air units, which gives them a large advantage over mechs in city enviroments.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Siesatia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Siesatia »

Actually, I hate mecha, and use hovertanks myself, but it is a great game to watch tank pwnage.

Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Re: DO YOU WANT TANK PWNAGE? DO YOU WANT MECHA?????

Post by Mekanta »

Siesatia wrote:Front mission IV is the way for you. Customizable Mech, FF tactics moving style. Plot. And best of all... Tank Pwnage.
Heh. I remember the first Front Mission game. ^_^

That was good. Very good.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:One thing: Good gravtanks are also air units, which gives them a large advantage over mechs in city enviroments.
Not really. A gravtank that had the armor to survive on the ground would have signifigantly more mass than an equivelent gunship or fighter. That means that its going to be slower, which means that any form of good AA weapon can take it down with a minimum of effort. As a result, your 'advantage' is actually a liability. You don't want tanks to fly because they are totally unsuited for that type of duty.

Plus, a tank that can fly like that suffers from 'jack-of-all-trades yet master-of-none' syndrome. Like a swiss army knife, your tank can do lots of things, but it can't hold a candle to something specifically designed for a task. Ex: Many swiss army knives have screwdrivers. Now lets say you have to unscrew something inside cramped quarters, like the inside of a computer. The purpose built long neck screwdriver is better here because it's thin, allowing access to places that the comparatively short and thick swiss army knife/screwdriver can't access.

In a similar vein, that's why mechs are valuable. They compliment tanks, getting in the proverbial holes that tanks can't reach. They do not replace tanks. Tanks have their uses, as do infantry, fighters, and mechs. Combined arms is the key to victory, and anyone who faces my military once I've rebuilt it after the invasion will learn this all too well.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Yes, but then the tank can get on top of buildings for an ambush
:lol:
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:Yes, but then the tank can get on top of buildings for an ambush
:lol:
You can't be serious. That's even less intelligent than mechs using jumpjets to leap onto tall office buildings. The tank becomes fodder for just about any aspect of any decent combined arms force. Infantry destroy the tank easily. Gunships or anti-tank planes stomp the tank so easily it isn't even funny. Even low flying fighters destroy the tank with virtual impunity! Hell, even most mechs could destroy the tank easily!

Flying tanks are a compromise situation between tanks and planes that are surpassed in every meaningful area by helicopter gunships.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Siesatia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Siesatia »

Code: Select all

Other than chryssalids, is their any other critter in sci-fi that regularly rapes tanks to death with its armor piercing wang? 
Yes, otillary.