Bolo, Bolo, Bolo...

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Bolo, Bolo, Bolo...

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Facehuggerian R&D resources had been taxed as of late. Most of the skilled engineers and scientists had been killed in the invasion, leaving a dearth of new and wholly necessary weapons systems. One project that did manage to survive, however, was the Bolo super tank project. The first Bolo Mark I prototype was testing on Opterra when the invasion happened, and most of the researchers involved with the project were on Opterra overseeing their baby. Now, the Bolo was almost ready for field testing, and what better field-test than attacking the Facehuggerian mainland?

"Professor Titus, what is the meaning of calling me down here at this hour? And don't say that it was urgent. In all my years of dealing with you scientist types, it's never urgent." General Bates asked as he walked down the halls of Camp Laputa with an elated Professor Anthony Titus at his side. Titus was the head of the Bolo project, fortunate enough to be away from home when the invasion hit, and doubly fortunate enough to have no surviving family in Facehuggeria at the time of the invasion.

"Oh, but it is urgent, General! Come and see for yourself!" Titus replied, unable to keep his enthusiasm to himself.

Titus threw open the doors to a secluded observation post. Far below the tinted window of the observatory was a single object, massive in every sense of the word.

"This, general, this is the Mark I prototype Bolo. He's the weapon that will win Facehuggeria back for you." Titus said, completely confident in the capabilities of his creation.

"He? This thing has a gender?" Bates asked, incredulously.

"But of course! One of the primary advantages of the Bolo here is its sentient AI core. He chose his own gender. Officially his designation is unit FNK, but we’ve taken to calling him Frank.” Titus replied, his voice full of pride in his creation.

“We shall see whether your obvious and overbearing pride is justified, won’t we Professor? Begin the tests.” The general replied. He was skeptical in the extreme.

“Yes general. Unit FNK, please begin.” Titus said, before speaking into a small microphone mounted in the observation post.

I suddenly felt power running through my veins, coursing through my tertiary power outlets. I felt alive. I heard something, it was my creator, Professor Titus speaking to me through a narrow band transmission. I knew what I must do. My task and purpose was clear…

“You see general, the first test is one of simple speed. The highest we’ve clocked him is 60 MPH on rough terrain. Let’s see if he can beat that, now that he knows who’s watching.” Titus commented to the still skeptical general.

I knew that the General was watching, I could see him on my thermal sensors. I was fully aware of the implications of his presence, and that knowledge incited me to push myself even harder. Forty miles per hour. Fifty miles per hour. Sixty miles per hour. I pushed myself harder than I ever had before; passing seventy miles per hour, settling into a seventy six MPH flank speed…

“Amazing general! That’s almost as fast as one of your mechs! And with the much greater firepower Frank carries, I think it’s fairly obvious what’s going to happen to your mecha arsenal…” Titus’ ego was growing even larger.

“My ass it will. Unit FNK, this is General Bates, please begin the weapons test.” Bates replied. He had a soft spot in his heart for mecha, and seeing them threatened by an overgrown tractor wasn’t exactly a situation he relished.

I heard the General’s order, although I was somewhat surprised at its source. The General was actually ordering me personally. I complied with the order, turning my Shiva cannons and repeaters on the prearranged targets ahead of me. They exploded with amazing fury, shrapnel pinging harmlessly off of my armor…

“Amazing” Titus muttered half to himself.

Bates merely shrugged and ordered Unit FNK to initiate the defensive test.

I heard and complied with the General’s order, although I do not relish being shot at. It is my duty however. I stoically moved into a clearing, waiting for the inevitable bombardment. It came seconds later in the form of light weapons, mere 450mm accelerated anti-tank auto cannons. My defensive screens merely shrugged these off; they didn’t even reach my armor. The bombardment then changed from kinetics to energy weapons. Lasers and Plasma. My screens had been specifically designed to defeat these attacks, shrugging off much of the energy. My absorbent armor captured the rest of the energy, feeding it directly into my tertiary power capacitors, my stomach. Then came the missile locks. They were large missiles, most likely nuclear based on the neutrino emissions. My point defense cannons tracked them effortlessly, blasting each missile from the sky in a symphony of light, relativistic flechettes, and superheated plasma.

Total elapsed time: .06 seconds.
Total damage: Forward defensive screen slightly depleted. Regeneration initiated
Targets destroyed: 665…

“See that general? Frank was unstoppable! We’ve run a simulation and I am supremely confident that he can win back our homeland.” Bates said, his pride coating him like a beaming, gleaming cloak.

“Bah. Your toy shows promise, but I highly doubt it is up to this monumental task. This task that my infantry, Bioroids, and mecha have proven unequal. You’ll get your field test, and then we shall see once and for all the flaws in this unit…” Bates replied, his voice laced with venom…

So...How about some comments?
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

Wow, it's like tech and RP in one wholesome whole.

I mean....
Dontcha think Andrew would have been a better name?

On a more serious note, bolo looks like a load of laughs.
Seems like he might have a bit of that ol' firepower, and he's certainly quick.
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.
CorpSac
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by CorpSac »

the name bolo reminds me of ebola
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Your general is an asshat... :lol:
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Post by Mekanta »

Nice. ^_^
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:Your general is an asshat... :lol:
Care to explain why you think that? Or is it just that you don't like a character who thinks that mecha are better than tanks?
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Klonor
Prefix: The Imperial Regency of
Name: Otagia

Post by Klonor »

CorpSac wrote:the name bolo reminds me of ebola
It reminds me more of that primitive weapon called a bolo with two rocks tied to opposite ends of a rope and thrown at people.

Anyway, it looks like a nice little tank. I'd love to see it in combat.
Official ESUS Spam-shaped Random Jackass
Klonor Small Nation Store
Klonor Weaponry Store
Klonor Defense Force
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Klonor wrote:
Anyway, it looks like a nice little tank. I'd love to see it in combat.
Ohh, don't worry. You will. If you read any of the Bolo books, you'll know where I'm going to with this 'character.' And believe me, it isn't going to be pretty.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:
Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:Your general is an asshat... :lol:
Care to explain why you think that? Or is it just that you don't like a character who thinks that mecha are better than tanks?
It's just that he starts bashing the tank before he even looks at it in action.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!