Ectoplasmic Torpedos; Armour Obsolete!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Kanuckistani scientists, while conducting research into electromagnetic feilds as part of an initiative to create a new, cheaper type of 'energy' sheild, stumpled upon something.. interesting.

And now, we present the finished product; the Ectoplasmic Effector, avalible as a missile add-on. The principal if deceptivly simple; elaborate electromagnetic feilds alter the natural forces that repell atoms and prevent inter-penitration of two objects, similar to certain phenomena attributed to the Hutchison Effect discovered accidentally by John Hutchison during attempts to study the longitudinal waves of Tesla back in 1979.

The result is a device that allows solid matter to pass through solid matter with minimal resistance; there are some limits - energy sheilds will still stop them - and side effects - a missile should be solid-state to prevent varrious parts interpenitrating(so it would kill people exposed to it) - but in the end, it is a valuble addition to any naval commander's arsenal.

Current price tag is looking to aproximate $1 million USD per missile add-on.

An armour add-on is currently on the drawing table that would protect against this device, but is currently on hold pending the evaluation of interest in the missile add-on.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

If this is serious: My respect for you just went down by a notch or two.

If this isn't serious: Oh yeah? I have nanites the size of planck's number! B33t that!
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

What you describe, it seems to me, would merely cause the missile to slow before impact due to the repelling force. It would not cause ease of penetration. Heheheh, I said ease of penetration. :lol:
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Crystal Palais
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Re: Ectoplasmic Torpedos; Armour Obsolete!

Post by Crystal Palais »

Kanuckistan wrote:Ectoplasmic Torpedos; Armour Obsolete!
I ain't afraid of no ghosts. 8)

But in all seriousness, uh.. wouldn't the torpedo either kind of keep going through the ship all the way, or would the parts inside that have to remain solid and separate from each other get stuck on the hull, and the rest of the torpedo goes flying through the armor while leaving said parts on the outside?
Wars are not fought over starships, nor are they fought over meaningless regions of interstellar space. They are fought over planets and territory.
The destruction of enemy forces is only a means to an end, and if it were possible to hit strategic targets without having to fight your way through opposing forces, any intelligent military commander would do it.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:If this is serious: My respect for you just went down by a notch or two.
!
How so? It's not really 'ectoplasmic', if that's the issue; that's just a name.

And I'm semi-serious; I'm examining the issue, but it's actually very realistic tech.

And it's not only useless against energy sheilds, but I already know how to armour against it, so it's hardly 'uber'. It even has several draw-backs.

Unlike, for example, phase-cloaked or multiphasic torpedos, a missile with the ectoplasmic effector can still be detected, shot at with energy weapons, and stoped cold by any energy sheild.
Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:What you describe, it seems to me, would merely cause the missile to slow before impact due to the repelling force. It would not cause ease of penetration. Heheheh, I said ease of penetration. :lol:
Read up on the Hutchison Effect; this is an extension of the 'fusion of dissimilar materials' phenomena.

Here's a quote, even, takin from here:

"The fusion of dissimilar materials, which is exceedingly
remarkable, indicates clearly that the Hutchison Effect has a
powerful influence on Van der Waals forces. In a striking and
baffling contradiction, dissimilar substances can simply "come
together," yet the individual substances do not dissociate. A
block of wood can simply "sink into" a metal bar, yet neither
the metal bar nor the block of wood come apart. Also, there
is no evidence of displacement, such as would occur if, for
example, one were to sink a stone into a bowl of water."

Crystal Palais wrote:
Kanuckistan wrote:Ectoplasmic Torpedos; Armour Obsolete!
I ain't afraid of no ghosts. 8)

But in all seriousness, uh.. wouldn't the torpedo either kind of keep going through the ship all the way, or would the parts inside that have to remain solid and separate from each other get stuck on the hull, and the rest of the torpedo goes flying through the armor while leaving said parts on the outside?

The idea is to fly through the ship and detonate inside; a warhead delivery system, not a kinetic kill missile. It's also a feild, so the entire missile, and parts of the ship that the missile passed through, would be affected.

And that's why the missile has to be solid-state; all parts fused together, lest it come apart when it tries to correct it's course. True, this could be mittigated by only engaging the feild moments befor impact(and would greatly simplify the issue of designing a missile drive system), but the fact that there is some resistance encountereed during interpenitration means that components merely screwed or bolted in place will come apart.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Kanuckistan wrote: How so? It's not really 'ectoplasmic', if that's the issue; that's just a name.

And I'm semi-serious; I'm examining the issue, but it's actually very realistic tech.

And it's not only useless against energy sheilds, but I already know how to armour against it, so it's hardly 'uber'. It even has several draw-backs.

Unlike, for example, phase-cloaked or multiphasic torpedos, a missile with the ectoplasmic effector can still be detected, shot at with energy weapons, and stoped cold by any energy sheild.
Okay. I was mistaken. I thought this was like one of those wanky 'transphasic' or 'chronoton' or 'fuckton' torpedos that all those trekkies fire in droves, you know the ones that can magically pass through armor, shields, and damn near everything else?
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Using this, the missile would have to be chemical. Anything mechanical simply wouldn't work. It could also be "blocked" by simply running a light electric current across the armour of the ship, causing the electron bonds of the atoms in the hull to move about more readily, and hence block more of the incoming atoms by simply being in the way. The more energy you supply to the hull, the less atoms gets through.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

CF, my people have Chronotronic torpedoes. However, normal temporal shields are effective against them, and no, we do not fire them in droves ;)
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

The Mindset wrote:Using this, the missile would have to be chemical. Anything mechanical simply wouldn't work. It could also be "blocked" by simply running a light electric current across the armour of the ship, causing the electron bonds of the atoms in the hull to move about more readily, and hence block more of the incoming atoms by simply being in the way. The more energy you supply to the hull, the less atoms gets through.
I think you missinterpret what I ment by resistance; it's not atoms in the way, but because the feild doesn't completly inhibit which normally prevent interpenitration. Yes, some resistance would come from such, but it would be negligible unless they were using an obscenely dense armour.

As for warheads, well, anti-matter would be touchy but probally the best bet. I've also devised a conversion bomb what would work. You could even do kinetic kill by having the generator engage just befor hitting and burn out after a few dozen meters.
The Silver Turtle

Post by The Silver Turtle »

So neutronium armour would stop this then?
*thinks*
*realises this is a silly question, of course it would*
If we do not live another day,
Say this over our pyre:
They died like High Guard Lancers
With their faces to the fire.

Regimental Hymn of the 13th Imperial Lancers