The LOPEL System

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

The LOPEL System

Post by The Mindset »

The LOPEL System
Low Profile Electromagnetic Launch System.

Premise
The Mindset has always been one to innovate: our faster than light drives and power systems are second to none. Our defences are unparalleled. We stand on the precipice of a sixth renaissance. Under the strong leadership of the Most Glorious Prime Nurik Dancos, we have rebuilt our ailing military, soon to be pushed into the throats of our enemies. Our time draws near… We shall prevail. Centuries of mismanagement left our military in a state of complete disarray. Would you trust your children’s future to weapon systems over three hundred years old?

No.

Why should you be expected to? It is the duty of the Prime to ensure the safety of the populace, and maintain the glory of the Empire. What Empire? Five farming worlds?

Pathetic.

Whatever happened to the days of imperial expansion and exploration? The days where it took six weeks to traverse Mindsettian space at 100c. No more. Gone, But not forever: we present, for the glory of the Empire, the LOPEL system.

How it Works
The LOPEL system was designed as a lightweight, low profile, cheaper and more practical alternative to hundred-meter long linear accelerator weapons. These weapons can also be aimed without turning the entire ship, and with enough power, several hundred can be fitted to one craft. How does it work? It is actually rather simple.
  1. The internal tubing is a vacuum, cooled via efficient thermal exchanges to 14K. It is also virtually frictionless, though this matters not, since the projectiles are suspended above it upon magnetic forces.
  2. Projectiles are are iron-core neutronium pellets, 1mm^3.
  3. Magnets are monopolar. This means they do not have a "north and south" end, rather only a south. This results in constant movement of the pellet, since the front end if the pellet is attracted to the magnetic forces ahead of it, whilst being repelled by those behind.
  4. Pellet can be accelerated to the desired speed.
  5. Sliding barriers channel the accelerated pelled out the launch tube, and pellet is fired at desired target.
(See diagram below)

This system allows for very high speed magnetically accelerated weapons to be fitted in relatively small craft.

Advantages: Small, lightweight, can be aimed, can be fitted on small craft, can be fitted in series with other LOPELs.
Disadvantages: As with all electromagnetic systems, the power requirements are very high, even more so with this system due to extensive cooling. Also, since the pellet is constantly changing direction whilst being accelerated, the LOPEL system is significally less efficient than a linear accelerator, and hence its power requirements (not including cooling) are much higher.

Naturally, all relevant Mindsettian craft will be taking advantage of this new innovation. It may be for sale soon.
(yes, the name on the image is wrong)
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet *Salivates*
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

:(
Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Post by Mekanta »

Nice. ^_^
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

After actually reading it properly this time, I can say that I'm impressed.
The weapon is very funky as well.
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.