Wettic Confederate Marines

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Wetland
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Wettic Confederate Marines

Post by Wetland »

After decades of development, Wetland finally has been able to make a massproducable weapon and armour for our marines.

Armament: AR-1 ‘Grinder’. The Grinder is an automatic rifle capable of firing 800 rounds per minute and has a magazine capacity of 50. It fires kinetic rounds with an Astorium tip but doesn’t use a bolt to ignite the propellant. Instead a small electrical jolt is used to ignite the propellant and expel the bullet. The electricity is provided by a small ZPE core which is also the only electrical component in the rifle.

It doesn’t have a sight and that is not important since the rifle was meant to be used in close quarters like a ship or a city anyway. It is however very durable and will still fire even after taking a lot of abuse. The rifle can be set to full-auto, semi-auto or single rounds.

Armour: The standard armour of any confederate marine is the ‘Rattleback’ suit. It provides complete BC protection as well as give the user added strength and speed. Of course it does add to his/her weight and make him less manoeuvrable but that is why the suit is also armoured. The armour itself isn’t Astorium but Plastinium, a plastic. This armour doesn’t deflect kinetic rounds but absorbs them, thus protecting the wearer. Energy attacks are stopped in a similar matter.

This armour is used because it is cheaper and very light although there is the problem that when it is vaporized, toxic fumes are released but that is why the marines have gasmasks. Power is provided by a ZPE core, but not directly. The power generated isn’t enough to power the suit under combat conditions so instead the power is transferred to batteries that store it and then release it as needed. The batteries can provide power for 3 hours before completely depleting their energy reserves. The helmet has an in-built radio as well as giving the wearer the capacity to see infrared, amplified light and targeting assistance.

Here you can see two Confederate Marines wearing Rattleback armour and carrying Grinder rifles in an exercise.
Fear me, if you dare!
And read my story on fanfiction, please.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

You put a ZPE core in a...rifle!? :shock:
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Wetland
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Wetland »

Yep, but when you make such a small core you don't get any meaningfull amounts of energy so there is barely enough power to ignite the propellant.

The one in the suit is larger and already provides many times more power then rifle core but it is still not enough for the power hungry suit.
Fear me, if you dare!
And read my story on fanfiction, please.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

I'm just saying that you could use a cheaper power source and cut mass production costs drastically. I mean, you could go with a high density battery. No need for a whole ZPE module that will probably cost more than the gun itself. (Although a ZPE for the armor is fine, if you don't mind the armor being incredibly expensive compared to normal power armor.)
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Yes, NASA, instead of using rockets to power your spacecraft use these Ion drives!!

Maybe he hasnt invented these things yet, considered that? People who are going to use bulky and expensive stuff etc, so on so forth, have my respect for realism.

Even if it wasnt intended. :twisted:
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Arenumberg wrote:Yes, NASA, instead of using rockets to power your spacecraft use these Ion drives!!

Maybe he hasnt invented these things yet, considered that? People who are going to use bulky and expensive stuff etc, so on so forth, have my respect for realism.

Even if it wasnt intended. :twisted:
Wait a second, you're telling me that he has a Zero Point Energy module, and he doesn't have a high density battery? The problem here is that a ZPE unit is really complicated and expensive to make. It produces power out the wazzu, but outfititng the technology to ships alone bankrupts most small to midsized space nations!
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

How do ZPE modules work?
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Basically, they don't. It's sci-fi blubbage to make creation of huge amounts of energy without a lot of technobabble. Literally, they pull energy our their ass.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

The Mindset wrote:Basically, they don't. It's sci-fi blubbage to make creation of huge amounts of energy without a lot of technobabble. Literally, they pull energy our their ass.
Bingo. It's just that common sense dictates that such a device would have to be complicated and highly expensive, otherwise it is incredibly godmoded.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

I dunno, nukes are expensive, but pretty damn simple.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!