Ships are going and new ones are coming in!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Mekanta
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Eternal Empire of
Name: Jordaxia

Post by Mekanta »

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:Also, once I add the 'tentacles' and finish it up, it will have more guns, and be slightly more tactically flexible. I'm not stupid.
You fucker! That's MY domain!!
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

Mekanta wrote:
Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:Also, once I add the 'tentacles' and finish it up, it will have more guns, and be slightly more tactically flexible. I'm not stupid.
Yeah. But I'm bigger :P

Also, to CF, melting missiles and the like is useful, and a melted slug splays off and deals little or no damage upon impact with a shield.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
DemonLordEnigma
The Mindset's Bitch

Post by DemonLordEnigma »

That ship still has weaknesses, and I think I just figured them out. But, I want to wait for actual ship stats to confirm whether or not I'm right.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

One thing with the render you might want to try, for the really big pieces, you should increase the density of the textures. I accidentally discovered that one day and it makes the bigger chunks look much nicer.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Arizona Nova wrote:One thing with the render you might want to try, for the really big pieces, you should increase the density of the textures. I accidentally discovered that one day and it makes the bigger chunks look much nicer.
How do you do that?
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

CF is my saviour!
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:
Mekanta wrote:
Yeah. But I'm bigger :P

Also, to CF, melting missiles and the like is useful, and a melted slug splays off and deals little or no damage upon impact with a shield.
Melting missiles I can see, but melting a slug isn't going to work. Because conservation of momentum says that the now liquified slug is still moving at the same speed it was before it was liquified. With railguns and other kinetic kill weapons, it's the projectile's momentum that does the damage, not how concentrated it is.

Although to be fair, a .65c slug will do more damage than a .65c puddle, mainly because the slug has a better chance of penetrating due to its smaller surface area. But really, when your projectile is going at .65c, it doesn't really matter if you shoot a slug or even a frozen turd.

The kinetic energy of the slug/puddle/turd in question is what's going to be doing the damage here, not any warhead in the projectile itself. Or, to put it another way, it doesn't matter if you get slammed with a rock, a slug, or a dounut.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

However, reflector shields are none to be least potent against piercing weapons, shot at the any spaces where the shield is less smooth and more jagged. With not piercing ability, the projectile would splatter off. Also, static fields need to have gas released from the ship to work, so you get air resistance. The flatter the particle, the faster the slowdown when it stops going through near vacuum, and hits air.

CF is my saviour!
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Jangle Jangle Ridge wrote:However, reflector shields are none to be least potent against piercing weapons, shot at the any spaces where the shield is less smooth and more jagged. With not piercing ability, the projectile would splatter off. Also, static fields need to have gas released from the ship to work, so you get air resistance. The flatter the particle, the faster the slowdown when it stops going through near vacuum, and hits air.
So, slug comes in at mid-cee, hits air; it's in the static feild so breifly that virtually no energy is transfered as designed, but that doesn't matter at this point, because the slug was moving so fast that the air might as well have been a brick wall, and you've now got what amounts to a cee-fractional shaped nuclear blast inbound on the tail of a rapidly-ablating but still fairly intact KE-kill slug.

This is probally not a good thing.
Blademasters
Site Admin

Post by Blademasters »

Yeh... not good for him, fun to watch for us.
"The Avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
-The Vorlons

"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
-Albert Einstein

"Few people realize that the line between sanity and insanity is actually made of cheese." -Anonymous

"If you need a subspace transceiver to radio your engine room, you might be wanking"
-Capsule Corp
Wormia
Uber-Ancients
Prefix: The Grand Imperial Dominion of
Name: Penguenia

Post by Wormia »

DemonLordEnigma wrote:Easy. Small ships are much harder to hit. You keep them distracted with something bigger and badder, like maybe a fleet or a massive destroyer.

It's a question of what you are going to pay attention to. Most people are not going to pay attention to that one fighter.
I beg to differ... only because, this is true only in modern tech. When you RP as space tech, weapons travel the speed of light and faster. Targeting computers are RIDICULOUSLY fast. There is, according to ever statistic in the book, no way that you are going to get missed, small ship or not.

That's why I don't use fighters... because in an age of c and >c weaponry, they're nothing more than cannon fodder. You're going to get hit, accept it. The tactic is who can build the ship who can take the most hits.
The Federated Stellar Republics of Wormia
Chancellor George Thomas IV
View Wormia Here
Wormian Military Craft and Technology Specifications

"Nations have no friends, only interests."