New defensive addition to armor

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
DemonLordEnigma
The Mindset's Bitch

New defensive addition to armor

Post by DemonLordEnigma »

I haven't really set a price for this yet, but I decided to post the idea anyway.

The region of space my nation is in is plagued with ion storms, one of which actually reached twenty lightyears across and fooled one of my territories into thinking they discovered an alien device that accelerated FTL jumps due to its positioning. Well, I get tired of losing ships to simple storms. So, a little defensive feature is being added to my next generation of ships (the fifth generation, to be exact).

Energy-dispersing crystal matrixes are going to be imbedded in the armor of my ships and, later on, added in with special armor for my soldiers. When hit by energy, it disperses the energy across the entire matrix, in some cases making the energy inherently worthless. Of course, concentrated firing on a single spot will overwhelm the matrix and cause damage in that spot. In addition, the matrix tends to heat up the armor of the ship, but I have found a way around that.

What makes this potentially interesting is a side-effect of it being designed for ion storms means it also works on energy weapons. Suddenly that shot just powerful enough to get past your shields doesn't do as much damage.
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

I like. It's quite interesting, and would likely work well with my armour systems (especially if it was laced through the thermokinetic foam that I use.)

And it isn't some form of extreme technowankage, always the best thing in new technology, when it can be explained in laymans terms. (I take the stolen argument that if Stephen Hawking can explain, in plain English, astrophysics, and all the hard to explain stuff, then it should be a requirement for everyone to do and that the whole "it's impossible to explain without a masters in technobabble-translation" is bull. so yay!

Of course, I could just cut most of this post to the first two words, but never mind.
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Sounds very similar to my electron matrix shielding technology, used on all my ships.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Hmm. Neat. Sounds like the Thermal Diffusion weave that I'm going to start using in armor. Same concept, except that the TD weave only asorbs heat.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."