I'm considering switching FTL

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.

Should I make the switch?

Total votes: 0

Klonor
Prefix: The Imperial Regency of
Name: Otagia

I'm considering switching FTL

Post by Klonor »

It's not definite, but I'm considering switching from Sub-Space to Hyperspace. But not the Hyperspace you're thinking of. Oh, no. This is the original Hyperspace. I'm serious, I'm considering switching to the Hyperspace that Isaac Asimov uses in the Foundation Trilogy and the Empire Novels which was the first ever use of Hyperspace.

Here's how it works. Travel is instantaneous. It doesn't matter whether you go half a light-year or several million, you blink out of space at point A and blink back into space at point B at nearly the exact same time. No more power is required for huge leaps than for the tiniest of hops. Now, you're probably all thinking "Wow, what a Godmod!" However, you can almost never travel in a straight line. Like the Star Wars Hyperspace that you all thought I was using when you first sarted to read this post (Don't deny it, you know it was true!) the gravity of huge masses (Stars, planets, black holes, etc.) drastically effect Hyperspace. You need to travel around all the large stellar bodies in the Universe and, considering that (even with the advanced computing we have in the distant future) it takes hours to compute each specific jump, the multiple jumps needed to circumvent all the obstructing objects take up much time. Therefore, though actual travel in Hyperspace is instantaneous, voyages from one Stellar System to another will takes hours or days or even weeks (The time is greater the greater the distance since more hops will be needed to corcumvent obstructions).

Any input?
Last edited by Klonor on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official ESUS Spam-shaped Random Jackass
Klonor Small Nation Store
Klonor Weaponry Store
Klonor Defense Force
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Why? Is subspace not cutting it? ;)
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Klonor

Post by Klonor »

Well.....no, it's not. Don't get me wrong, I love Sub-Space and will continue to love it till the day I'm DEAT'd, but I need more! I need room to grow! Klonor can't be confined to a bare few systems, and Sub-Space only connects to a limited number of systems! I'm being smothered
Klonor Weaponry Store
Klonor Defense Force
DemonLordEnigma
The Mindset's Bitch

Post by DemonLordEnigma »

Hmm. There are several problems with it, such as the fact my FTL engines pretty much make it useless when you are around more than one of my ships, and the calculations alone are immense.

I would suggest a third backup, that being not based on subspace or hyperspace.
Blademasters
Site Admin

Post by Blademasters »

Sounds fun. I'm all for you developing it and me stealing the technology =D. Just kidding, my FtL is shibby.
"The Avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
-The Vorlons

"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
-Albert Einstein

"Few people realize that the line between sanity and insanity is actually made of cheese." -Anonymous

"If you need a subspace transceiver to radio your engine room, you might be wanking"
-Capsule Corp
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

I actually have three functional FTL drives and a 4th in late-stage development.
Klonor

Post by Klonor »

I think I phrased my opening incorrectly.

I'm not considering switching completely to Hyperspace FTL with nothing else in use, but rather as making Hyperspace FTL my primary FTL. Not my only one. I already use two different varieties (Sub-Space and a Gravity/Time Distorter) and would simply use this new one where the other two are either unavailable (Since Sub-Space only works in a few key systems) or inefficient (Since the G/TD's are relatively slow).
Klonor Weaponry Store
Klonor Defense Force
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Torontonias »

This is very Similar to my Foldspace Drives, probably because the places I derived it off most likely derived it from Mr. Asimov's work
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Except, after a while, most routes are mapped so all travel in your own territory is instant.. Go for it! lol.
The Silver Turtle

Post by The Silver Turtle »

Well, I like it. But I got the impression from the Foundation novels that the max. range of the jumps was limited, although it could just be confusion due to the necessity for repeated jumps since a single one's out of the question due to intervening objects.
If we do not live another day,
Say this over our pyre:
They died like High Guard Lancers
With their faces to the fire.

Regimental Hymn of the 13th Imperial Lancers