I'm considering switching FTL

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.

Should I make the switch?

Total votes: 0

Klonor
Prefix: The Imperial Regency of
Name: Otagia

Post by Klonor »

"....but space-travel was all one whether one travelled half a million miles, or as many light years."

-Gaal Dornick, Page 4, Foundation

"Through hyper-space, that unimaginable region that was neither space nor time, matter nor energy, something nor nothing, one could traverse the length of the Galaxy in the interval between two neighboring instants of time."

-Gaal Dornick, Page 4, Foundation

There's also more technological descrptions of Asimovs Hyperspace, but those specific materials are unavaibale to me at this moment in time (I'm at college, they're not)
Official ESUS Spam-shaped Random Jackass
Klonor Small Nation Store
Klonor Weaponry Store
Klonor Defense Force
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Well, range for individual jumps would be inherently limited by your sensors' ability to gather sufficently detailed and recent information to make the navigational calculations, unless all applicible hazards have already been maped with the requisite degree of acuracy needed to allow one to calculate one's jump from map refference alone.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

It's just so... cumbersome. It's original, and sort of cool, but weird at the same time. Bah, whatever, go for it dude...
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Klonor
Prefix: The Imperial Regency of
Name: Otagia

Post by Klonor »

Logically, not all navigational hazards have been tracked and registered, but the major ones have long since been recorded. We're talking stars, planets in heavily trafficed systems, etc. It's like most modern day Country-wide maps, interstates are marked clearly but the tiny back roads aren't that well drawn. However, just like you can by a local map for 5 bucks at a gas station, you can spend a little time scanning the immediate area and locate the large asteroids and such that might interfere with your jumps.
Official ESUS Spam-shaped Random Jackass
Klonor Small Nation Store
Klonor Weaponry Store
Klonor Defense Force
Crossman
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Re: I'm considering switching FTL

Post by Crossman »

Klonor wrote:It's not definite, but I'm considering switching from Sub-Space to Hyperspace. But not the Hyperspace you're thinking of. Oh, no. This is the original Hyperspace. I'm serious, I'm considering switching to the Hyperspace that Isaac Asimov uses in the Foundation Trilogy and the Empire Novels which was the first ever use of Hyperspace.
I have those books. Very good, though I have yet to finish the series.
When life hands you lemons, throw them back screaming, "I said LIMES dammit!!!"

Member:
ESUS
NWO
GAPTS (Founding Member)
Crossman
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Crossman »

It does sound very interesting. In fact, this is making me think about looking into my own FTL tech. I've never really thought about the tech other than "Ooo look at me, my ships are fast! They go zoom!". But whatever works for you, go for it.
When life hands you lemons, throw them back screaming, "I said LIMES dammit!!!"

Member:
ESUS
NWO
GAPTS (Founding Member)