Defence Against Telepathy

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Defence Against Telepathy

Post by Torontonias »

After some information gathering, I have come out with a small device used to mask one's mind from the Intrusive probe of a Telepath.
Although not many in this Alliance have large populations of Telepaths, or any at all, I have created this for the event I encounter some sort of nation or person who belives telepathy can be used as a weapon or Psycological paranoia.

Personal Teledefence Implants
These are the ones being mass produced, after many years of research, this implant was deemed plausable, and thenceforth tested and produced. It operates by seting up a "Mask" over the mind much like a Proxy Server or Firewall would. Since most telepathy involves "tuning into" a mind's natural frequency, it masks this frequency and renders the Telepath unable to access the targets mind. As another blanket of protection, it brodcasts mental white noise which scrambles any freqencies that do escape the sheild and turns it into incomprehensible static. Although this can all be broken through like any traditional defence, by the time the Telepath is successful, the target it bound to notice. However, it works both ways, if the implantee is also Telepathic, they are rendered unable to use their powers of the mind either.

Personal Teledefence Devices
Only afforded to the wealthiest of the wealthy, it works the same way as the implant with the exception that it is not an implant, simply a device which sticks behind your ear and projects a bubble around the head.

The Implants are self powered and need to be replaced every fifteen years.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Balrogga »

It would also involve the strength or skill of the telepath.

If they were strong your device would not slow them down. The use of the Babylon P-Scale in an example of strength of the Telepath.

The skilled telepath would be able to slip inside the mind of another telepath without them noticing. A non telepath would not have the chance to notice someone sneaking about in their mind unless they "trip" or make themselves known because they are not attuned to their mind like a Psionicly Endowed being.

Also, there are many other skills of the Psionics than Telepathy. A cyberpsi would be able to link up to the implant itself or other electroic device.

A Psychokinetic would just pick uo the one with the implant and throw them across the room (Jean Grey, AKA Pheonix from X Men). Remember the little girl from the Stephen King movie/novel who could toss around fire? This is an example that not all Psi abilities target the mind.

For your information, my nation has a 30% active Psi ratio. I use GURPS Psionics as the basis of abilities. This allows 100+ different abilities in 10 different classes such as Anti-Psi, Telepathy, Biokinesis, Psychokinesis, ESP, Healing, ect...

Your device would only protect their mind. It is a technological equivelent of the Telepathic ability called Mind Sheild.

I accept this as a distinct possibility and will not contest you in it's use. I just wanted to point out there are more things out there than just Telepathic abilities to defend against.
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Torontonias »

Yes, I know, that is why I stated at the topic that it is against Telepathy, it worded it this way because I recognise that there is a whole field of that kind of stuff. However, at this moment, I have only been able to come up with an intrument which protects the users mind, which to me needs the most protection.

I am looking into a way to dampen a Psionics mental powers, but all tests and simulations run have resulted in the device basically frying the brain of whoever enters the field.

And yes, I do achnoledge that it would not protect against everything, only attacks aimed at the mind. Secondly, yes, someone mentally powerfull enough could bypass it, but they would need to be Very skilled in their task, this Implant works in tangent with other devices that have been in use for years, other implants which monitor brain functions might be able to detect a spike in activity, if confirmed it was a telepathic invasion, corrective action would be taken.

I never, ever claim any technology I come up with is perfect, but it is the best I can come up with at this moment, and I do belive that this does offer moderate defence, which, from a see from the Majority of ESUS members, is more than adequate. I thank you for your imput however.
CorpSac
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by CorpSac »

mmm.....some Psi can produce an EMP field of some kind, fry electronics etc i take it that this device is protected from such things?.Also what would it cost to buy production rights to the implant? sounds like a neat way to control rouge Psi and protect high ranking Offical.
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Torontonias »

Yes, it has base sheilding against Magnetic waves, as all implants I produce do. As for Production rights, I will withhold them for now, although I am more than willing to ship you orders of them.
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Balrogga »

Please do not misunderstand me. I was agreeing with you.

There is a whole system of rules and guidelines for Psychotronics (pages 56 to 76 in the GURPS Psionics book). If you want to get some tips, see if you can borrow a book or something to use as a guide. I know you want to develop your own tech but it would be a start...

Out Of Character I support your R&D.

In Character I know nothing about it.
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Torontonias »

Thanks, I appreciate your support, I'll look into it, although I am very busy at the moment.
Wormia
Uber-Ancients
Prefix: The Grand Imperial Dominion of
Name: Penguenia

Post by Wormia »

Balrogga wrote:It would also involve the strength or skill of the telepath.

If they were strong your device would not slow them down. The use of the Babylon P-Scale in an example of strength of the Telepath.

The skilled telepath would be able to slip inside the mind of another telepath without them noticing. A non telepath would not have the chance to notice someone sneaking about in their mind unless they "trip" or make themselves known because they are not attuned to their mind like a Psionicly Endowed being.

Also, there are many other skills of the Psionics than Telepathy. A cyberpsi would be able to link up to the implant itself or other electroic device.

A Psychokinetic would just pick uo the one with the implant and throw them across the room (Jean Grey, AKA Pheonix from X Men). Remember the little girl from the Stephen King movie/novel who could toss around fire? This is an example that not all Psi abilities target the mind.

For your information, my nation has a 30% active Psi ratio. I use GURPS Psionics as the basis of abilities. This allows 100+ different abilities in 10 different classes such as Anti-Psi, Telepathy, Biokinesis, Psychokinesis, ESP, Healing, ect...

Your device would only protect their mind. It is a technological equivelent of the Telepathic ability called Mind Sheild.

I accept this as a distinct possibility and will not contest you in it's use. I just wanted to point out there are more things out there than just Telepathic abilities to defend against.
I disagree. It's like radio. A dampening field sort of thing. If that's established, communication in the standard way will not function, no exceptions. I feel that telepathy is not exempt from physics, and that it isn't magical or supernatural in any way, even in NS, is explainable biologically and thusly can be hindered via technology.

Just my two cents.
The Federated Stellar Republics of Wormia
Chancellor George Thomas IV
View Wormia Here
Wormian Military Craft and Technology Specifications

"Nations have no friends, only interests."
CorpSac
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by CorpSac »

Wormia wrote:
Balrogga wrote:It would also involve the strength or skill of the telepath.

I disagree. It's like radio. A dampening field sort of thing. If that's established, communication in the standard way will not function, no exceptions. I feel that telepathy is not exempt from physics, and that it isn't magical or supernatural in any way, even in NS, is explainable biologically and thusly can be hindered via technology.

Just my two cents.
depends on what Psi rules you use, i use cross between Babylon 5 and other RPGs ive played, hell ive even be considering makeing myself a Cybergen type thing....mmm tho that something completely different.
to lazy to put name in wrote: Yes, it has base sheilding against Magnetic waves, as all implants I produce do. As for Production rights, I will withhold them for now, although I am more than willing to ship you orders of them.
meh i think i will pass on that, Production rights a cheaper in the long run for my growing population.
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Torontonias »

Suit yourself. I just want to keep a grip on this blossoming Technology, besides, as stated before, my Government is a Corporate Monopoly, they don't want cheap knock-off's flooding the market now do they? They want the citizens to keep mindlessly buying the implants and premium prices.