Äußer-Kern Arms releases SIR-25 into ESUS test markets!

Buy, sell, trade, barter technology, resources, ships, weapons and goods; commission flags, designs, etc.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Äußer-Kern Arms releases SIR-25 into ESUS test markets!

Post by Arizona Nova »

Äußer-Kern Arms [AKA], recently revived under the auspices of King Kemelzar's reconstruction efforts, has completed design and trials of its new assault rifle for Arizona Novanian regular forces. Dubbed the SIR (Standard Infantry Rifle)-25, it is the latest in a long line of assault weapons that this company has historically been famous for. However, this latest model, unlike previous ones, has also been designed for export as well, marking the first venture of the corporation into the international market.

The SIR-25 is designed with durability and firepower in mind. Sporting, like its predecessors, two main firing modes - i.e., an <30mm autocannon, coupled with a high-powered particle beam cannon - and three secondary firing modes - i.e., the traditional automatic, semi-automatic, and single-shot.

The autocannon uses an innovative new design - using a pack of EM-shielded nanorobots, the main firing chamber of the gun can be reconfigured virtually instantaneously by the nanorobots to switch up for different calibers on the fly, giving the rifle unparalleled ammunition versatility, without relying on more complicated and less reliable mechanisms. Its underslung particle cannon also offers enormous stopping power for its size, wreaking havoc on shielded and soft targets alike.

Its secondary characteristics are no less impressive - built for durability, both temporally and in terms of abuse, the gun's internal works are constantly maintained by its nanorobots, which only require annual refills during normal use; native nanotech technology can even be adapted by those already inside, assuming that their levels have not fallen to critical lows. The rest of the gun's construction is made out of commonly available materials, that are no less durable owing to the gun's compact and solid design. While designed to be fired without any accessory, the gun nonetheless sports two sets of rails for the mounting of bayonets, flashlights, or laser sights as needed. The trigger, though designed for "clench" firing by gloved or armored hands, is nonetheless sensitive enough to respond to finger-pulls as well.

In light of exceptionally promising trials, wherein, among other things, a crate brimming with them was dropped from high-orbit onto Ondataru VIII's surface, then unpacked and fired, Äußer-Kern Arms has already geared up a number of factories across Arizona Nova for mass production of the rifle, in anticipation of home guard use as well as in terms of demand elsewhere, and has also already released the design specifications for foreign purchase.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Re: Äußer-Kern Arms releases SIR-25 into ESUS test markets!

Post by Arizona Nova »

. : ooc : . [spoiler]Just some flavor.[/spoiler]

[center]** TRANSCRIPT : AUDIO BUG LOG : FT VERDEGRIS MARINE BARRACKS - LOUNGE 5 : FOR YOUR EARS ONLY **[/center]

"So how was it?"

*metallic clanking* "Not too bad, actually."

"Really? The suit didn't wire bullets into your Gee-M-Ae-Cee while you were out on the range, did he?"

"No you ass," *scraping of a chair* "It's actually not that bad."

"Not that bad how?"

"Well in comparison to what commands currently doing, digging up some rusty old Sornei shit and foisting it on the greenhorns and telling us to go hog wild with it. Ignorant fucks don't even know what the hell half of it does or was intended to do. This thing, it's pretty damn obvious."

"That can be damn funny though. Remember when Eddy got his first issue? Took the thing out range and started pulling the trigger, and just sat there for five minutes trying to figure out why the damn thing wouldn't fire; turned out it was a laser beacon, and it was backwards, and was aimed at the colonel's office, and out he comes, bitching Eddy out for nearly blinding him."

"Not so funny if you're in a drop zone and it switches into some elf dialect or some shit and starts firing flowers or whatever the hell. Goddam Sornei kit. This SOB fires lead and c-frac particulate, and thats all it fires, and thats all I want it to goddam fire."

"Suit was going on about that 'magazine versatility' and shit, does that actually work?"

"It's weird as hell, but yeah, it does. With its standard issue mags, the thing clicks in like normal, so I tried sliding up the mag from my pistol in there too. It's weird; at first it feels like you just stuck the end up into silly putty for like a half second, but then it freezes up in there solid. I waved it around, didn't move at all. Fired like it was made for it. When the magazine was out, it just dropped back out without me even touching it. Nanos is weird shit."

"But did it hit anything?"

"Can't have everything," *chuckling* "I set the sec-mode to automatic first thing, and the suit started getting real nervous, saying it'd be better to get the feel for it's semi mode first. But yeah, you ain't winning Marksmanship C with this thing."

"Ah well, not like we snipe much in this business anyway. Leave that shit to General Corps and their camospooks; we'll kick ass and take names on-ship."

"Suits will probably give camos and the like their own shiny toys anyway. This thing is just a means to fill space and get us all on common kit while they get down to figuring out a way to make a gun for every scenario that you can still swap parts around for."

[center]** END OF LOG **[/center]
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I assume the slug thrower is a chemical firearm? Is the firing chamber armoured to protect the user if said chamber explodes? Is it reinforced to handle, *ahem*, "enhanced" propellant? Say, antimatter-spiked chemical propellant?

What about antimatter-enhanced dragon's breath rounds? :D

Particle cannon is kinda ill defined.
Arizona Nova wrote: The autocannon uses an innovative new design - using a pack of EM-shielded nanites, the main firing chamber of the gun can be reconfigured virtually instantaneously by the nanorobots to switch up for different calibers on the fly, giving the rifle unparalleled ammunition versatility, without relying on more complicated and less reliable mechanisms.

But nanites are about as complicated as you can get(and that response time is pretty ubertech) - if you'd be willing to hire Kanuckistani consultants, I'd suggest replacing it with, say, electrically variable memory alloy parts, or something like that.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Post by Arizona Nova »

Kanuckistan wrote:Not bad. Not bad at all.

I assume the slug thrower is a chemical firearm? Is the firing chamber armoured to protect the user if said chamber explodes? Is it reinforced to handle, *ahem*, "enhanced" propellant? Say, antimatter-spiked chemical propellant?

What about antimatter-enhanced dragon's breath rounds? :D

Particle cannon is kinda ill defined.
Thanks! The idea behind the autocannon is that, if you can jam a magazine into it, any caliber up to 30mm should fire, if it's normally designed to fire out of a man-portable rifle. In terms of the rifle's robustness - well, it's designed to get dropped in crates out of high orbit into live combat zones and still work, so I'd hope so. XD The particle cannon is basically the ToY definition thereof. I should probably include that. >_>

Kanuckistan wrote: But nanites are about as complicated as you can get(and that response time is pretty ubertech) - if you'd be willing to hire Kanuckistani consultants, I'd suggest replacing it with, say, electrically variable memory alloy parts, or something like that.
Well, I've used nano-tech as long as I've been in FT; since I met Mekanta, in fact. It was from him we bought our first batch. :D Anyway, it's fairly common, to the point we have two types:

Nanites: i.e., the kind people have nightmares about, miniature hard drives that more often than not go rampant and eat planets. Used to make digisape avatars; incredibly expensive.
Nanorobots: Industrial nanorobots with much less sophisticated processing. Extremely cheap and used in very wide application, from factories to armor to these guns.

Wasn't thinking when I did the write-up, which I'll correct.

Using parts, in our mind, defeats the purpose; then you need to ring up a factory somewhere for replacement parts. Nanorobots are the new omniwidget; basically refill this rifle's tank and the nanites inside will assimilate the added model to work in the rifle (and yes, there are safeguards to keep them from assimilating not-nanites or escaping the rifle; you'd have to go out of your way to introduce an invasive model of nanites to cause damage).
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Arizona Nova wrote:In terms of the rifle's robustness - well, it's designed to get dropped in crates out of high orbit into live combat zones and still work, so I'd hope so. XD

Different forces differently applied to different parts of the weapon. Much different.

And the gun probably won't be dropped out of orbit too often(and is in a crate), while in combat, or even just training, it'll run through alot of ammo.

Arizona Nova wrote: Using parts, in our mind, defeats the purpose; then you need to ring up a factory somewhere for replacement parts. Nanorobots are the new omniwidget; basically refill this rifle's tank and the nanites inside will assimilate the added model to work in the rifle (and yes, there are safeguards to keep them from assimilating not-nanites or escaping the rifle; you'd have to go out of your way to introduce an invasive model of nanites to cause damage).

Even simple and robust nanotech is fragile and (generally)expensive compared to almost everything not particularly exotic(afterall, fabricating lots of nanites is alot harder than making just about anything else not both atleast similarly complex and nano-scale, so if you can do that cheaply, you should be able to make most other things, too, even cheaper).

But I think you misread me - I didn't say scrap the nanite maintenance and repair system, just the nanotech quick-reshaping(or scale it back). If you want a simple and robust weapon, basing it's key feature on inherently fragile ubertech seems kind of silly when there are alternatives.

And when I said parts, I was referring to the different aspects that have to change size - barrel, chamber, feed, etc. It can all be one solid state chunk and nano-maintained/repaired.

It's also nice from a fluff perspective, as you're not leaning too heavily one any one technology.

(not trying to pressure you or anything silly like that, of course, just explaining my point of view)