Suggestions thread

It's what you think it is.
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Re: Suggestions thread

Post by The Mindset »

Sskiss wrote:I think I would have prefered it that we choose our own stars, planets, moons etc... that make up each of our homesystems. Also, I would prefer a more traditional astronomical depiction of stellar types, such as; M,K,G,F,A,B and O.

Furthermore, all worlds should have a base type (such as terrestrial or jovian, for example) and a more specific type (venusian, martian, terran etc..).
Not going to happen. Systems are randomised because it randomises the resources your nation starts with. If you could select your planets (which I won't ever implement) then invasion or colonisation would be rendered moot since you'd just chose planets that gave you advantageous resources.

On your second point: again, sorry, not going to happen. There are seven types of planets. I won't be complicating the resource system by making more.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

I'm not sure if someone already suggested this for the future of Disunity, and if it's plausible for a web-based game, but it could add some strategic depth is possible. Basically I suggest something I expect to be planned. A system that allows you to send dropships to invade other planets not much different from that Master of Orion one, where the sending of transports from several different planets against the same target gives combat bonuses(+10% for example) because of logistical pluses of invading a planet in a solar system you already got a hold of and of the psychological factor of having no other friendly or neutral planet nearby.

In short: A KISS algorithm for planetary landing and assault, adding a few bonuses to it for strategic superiority in its system.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Warfare in Disunity is exactly the same as in Nationstates - you decide how the war pans out, the game doesn't. All the game does is keep track of your ships, your territory, and the resources/population of your nation. Anything else is roleplayed on the forums.

Since this is the case, there is no need for bonuses (although there will be some things that affect roleplayed warfare, such as the game dictating how long it takes for your ships to arrive at other points on the map). The game operates on an honour system. If you roleplay and lose a planet, then both players involved tell the game so, and it transfers ownership.

It's kinda complicated to explain because I don't really know of any other game that combines the freeform roleplay of NS with functionality like Disunity.

In short, think of Disunity as Nationstates, but more uniform and illustrated.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

Anyway, there are gazillions of space games with hardcoded warfare and diplomacy. Play-By-Forum with a "online rulebook" is always more interesting.

I'm not sure if it's a good comparison, but from your description the software component of Disunity stands as a sort of interactive "rulebook" for the roleplaying, except for not having the "rolling dices" part.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

So does each of these seven planet types possess one of each the resources? While we're on the subject, what are the seven resources? And which planets contain what resources?
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

No, each planet contains a different ratio of resources. There will be crude resources that can be harvested from your territory: unrefined fuel, ore, food and water.

You will be able to build factories (or trade) to create refined fuel, metal and processed food. All in all there are seven resources in the game, but they are not exclusive to each type of planet.

Construction of ships and factories will require refined fuel and metal. Dispatching fleets will require manpower, refined fuel, water and food. The amount of food and water you dedicate to a mission dictates the distance your ships can travel, and the time they can spend away from a home port. Processed food lasts longer than unprocessed food.
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

As Disunity approaches completion (a while off yet), I'm going to redesign and integrate the ESUS forums into it. Don't worry, I have quite a few interesting plans for them.
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

I'm working on a redesign of the Disunity website. What kind of aesthetics would you lot like? I'd like to to be simple, clean, uncluttered and not obviously space-gamey or gimmicky.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

A less dark palette is something I definitively would like and that breaks from the "Spacey" theme. I'm not a fan of dark-colored layouts.
Skeelzania
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

Post by Skeelzania »

Eh, I think white text on black is easier on the eyes myself. Although the diagonal slashmarks seem, I don't know, off.

Its hard to avoid the space-theme when thinking about a space-based game.
"Emperor of Skeelzania, Grand Prince of Solomon, Champion of the Guards, Defender of the Race, Lord of Hosts, and Heir to the Great Bad Skeelz."

Official title of the ruler of Skeelzania