Request for ideas...

It's what you think it is.
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Request for ideas...

Post by The Mindset »

I require ideas on what to include in the SpaceEconomy calc. I already have ideas to include modifiers such as number of systems under your control, etc.

I need usable formulas. For example:

If (Inhabited Systems > 5) then corruption = (inhabited systems * civil rights) + 0.05

etc.
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

A 10 or so choice of tech level within space tech, for example, nanites, FTL, FTLi, etc.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

Mindset, I can't give you any formulas (I kinda lost track of all that after grade 6) but I honestly find your calculator favors capitalist/democratic types as well as machines. By the way, "machines" is not really a government or a "mentality", it's more of a biological state or lack theroff. I would simply list various governmet types (forms) and give various modifiers for them, kind of like they did in Master of Orion II & III.

Also "political and social" freedoms are relative - especially if you are dealing with alien races in general.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Or brutal nazi regimes which use mind control to maintain discipline in the populace...

Each government form has it's pros and cons.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Sskiss »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:Or brutal nazi regimes which use mind control to maintain discipline in the populace...

Each government form has it's pros and cons.
That's another good point. I liked the way the Master of Orion series handled it. I would use something like that as a base, and build on it.

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Torontonias »

What about Temporary Modifiers, for example, Metallianuts Civil war, perhaps the formula would be to set the economy six times below existing.

Ex. If Civil War, economy=Frightening it is reduced to "Good" This would reflect that in Civil war, most of the industry either shuts down, or starts contributing to the army (Armour, Weapons, Etc.)

This is the only one I can think of at any rate.
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Sskiss wrote:Mindset, I can't give you any formulas (I kinda lost track of all that after grade 6) but I honestly find your calculator favors capitalist/democratic types as well as machines. By the way, "machines" is not really a government or a "mentality", it's more of a biological state or lack theroff. I would simply list various governmet types (forms) and give various modifiers for them, kind of like they did in Master of Orion II & III.

Also "political and social" freedoms are relative - especially if you are dealing with alien races in general.
Machines will always be more efficient at regulating themselves than a classical government type, and Mentality (now renamed Government Type) is a way to tip the scales in their favour in that direction.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Sskiss »

The Mindset wrote:
Sskiss wrote:Mindset, I can't give you any formulas (I kinda lost track of all that after grade 6) but I honestly find your calculator favors capitalist/democratic types as well as machines. By the way, "machines" is not really a government or a "mentality", it's more of a biological state or lack theroff. I would simply list various governmet types (forms) and give various modifiers for them, kind of like they did in Master of Orion II & III.

Machines will always be more efficient at regulating themselves than a classical government type, and Mentality (now renamed Government Type) is a way to tip the scales in their favour in that direction.
I simply do not believe that. If the "machines" are all like the borg, yes, I would agree with you. It all sounds like a "stereotype" to me at any rate.

You also did not address my other concerns, as well as CF's. Different races, social structures etc...may have their own motivations and reasons for being what they are. Not everyone may be motivated by the same things and as a result may have developed different methods for achieving different ends.

I still say your modifiers more heavily rewards, and hence favors, low taxes, democratic/capitalist type governments and social structures. While penalizing just about everything else. Which I do not particularly think is fair, and is rather bias.

For example, as a fairly accurate calculation, my people end up with a heavy -25% penalty (a quarter!) to their modifiers. Which means we are quite an inefficient race/government/culture etc...which simply isn't the case.

The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Of course it is based upon stereotypes, there are simply too many variables to realistically include if it was not. However, I'd appreciate it more if you suggested values for modifiers rather than say it is biased. It is biased towards capitalist societies because it is those societies that tend to have the most powerful economys (again this is a stereotype.)
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Sskiss »

The Mindset wrote:Of course it is based upon stereotypes, there are simply too many variables to realistically include if it was not. However, I'd appreciate it more if you suggested values for modifiers rather than say it is biased. It is biased towards capitalist societies because it is those societies that tend to have the most powerful economys (again this is a stereotype.)
But what if your race has no real ecomony, or needs one? What about other modifiers? I think Master of Orion II & III had some good ones. Maybe some of your modifiers would not apply to certain races or social conditions.

If some of us will "lose" using your methods, then we must "gain" elsewhere.