Application

This subforum is for passed applications past.
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Application

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

That's right. Another newbie wishing to join your ranks. I've lurked enough that I have managed to figure out that this application test will be good for me, whether it is a success or a failure.

Now for some quickly-written info on my nation, to make things a little bit easier on whoever comes up with the scenarios:

1: Ground Forces
Employs drones to act as the bulk of the infantry and to be used as shields for powered battle armor-wearing human infantry, or the occasional mech. The battle armor and mech forces are mostly based on stuff found in a game called Shogo:MAD. (It's a fairly old game, so just think "FPS Mech-genre game") There's an emphasis on mobility over armor and firepower, and the used of hit-and-run and guerilla tactics are emphasized.

2: Space Forces
Use of drone fighter pods in large numbers, backed up by fast anti-capital ship frigates based from a carrier group. Generally prefer quick, hit-and-run strikes on enemy supply lines, merchants, and pretty much any weak point in the logistical structure of an opponent. Relatively poor when faced with a defensive role or when they are outnumbered/ambushed.
The capital world has three, six-kilometer-long warships orbiting it, though loss of technical knowledge during some internal conflicts has resulted in these craft not being able to be reproduced, or moved using their now run-down jump drives.

3: Political Structure
Led by an "Observer" council, called that due to supposed abilities to sense occurences within the universe. All are rather potent psykers, though they are a bit less trained in their abilities than individuals with similar gifts in other nations might be. This council serves as a national government over many democratic republic-type local governments across the one star system under the nation's control.

4: Political Climate/Large Details on the Capital System
Protecting the system is a number of anti-FTL barriers and a energy shield network, with a set of six gates (lined up on the three axes with the star) providing access. This system has been in place since before the founding of the Cerberus Alliance, and a lack of knowledge of how to operate or repair the system could lead to the protection it provides to fail at any time. Considering this, it is a wonder that the council waited until now to begin breaking with isolationist policy.
Also, it is seen by many that, by beginning diplomatic relations with other nations, the technology might become available once more to maintain the barrier system, as well as to get the three juggernauts moving again (and perhaps begin building more of them).

5: Brief Background
The Procrastinating Protectorate was established after a unification war among numerous space pirate groups based out of the Cerberus system resulted in the council-run Cerberus Alliance rising as a new state. It was during this time that much of the information on the defense systems such as the barrier network and the contruction techniques used on the three juggernauts was apparently lost, and that the system became strictly isolationist. A long time later, after many social reforms, the Protectorate has chosen to emerge from hiding, reforged into a new entity that does not resemble the groups that it was originally created from in any way other than military tactics.

Yeah, I just wrote a lot of that off of the top of my head, so I'll be sure to be a bit more careful when I'm responding to the scenarios.

Anyway... let's get this started.
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Sorry for the delay...

Test 1: A self-replicating industrial nanobot designed to repair rust damage and small fractures in iron objects by use of a thermite-weld has somehow been released into the general population's water supply (or equivalent thereof.) The nanobot is solar powered and activates when in the presence of iron oxide (such as that found in blood), resulting in a condition whereby individuals combust horrifically when exposed to certain spectra of light – including sunlight, and most indoor light sources.

Role-play your government’s response to the outbreak.
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

Damn... that's a toughie. What's the maximum length that this forum allows for each post? I've got something written now that's about four pages long in MS Word.
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

I think one of mine was 10 pages, so that should be fine.

If not you can always just break it into two posts.
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

OOC: I decided to try something with the writing style, and I'm not sure how it worked out. Well, here goes nothin'.
IC:

>>Welcome to the Protectorate News Archive<<
>Purpose for Access?
>>Response: Research
>Define
>>Response: School/Paper
>Desired Action?
>>Response: Find Event

>Retrieving News Files
>>Target Date: 30 AU
>>Subject: Nanobot Outbreak
>>Subject Planet: Cerberus-4 Main (“Sheolâ€
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Test Deux: A nearby interstellar adversary has recently moved against you militarily. The full reasoning behind this attack is unknown; however, it is clearly an attempt at provocation. Despite their hubris, war is unlikely to be advantageous for your nation at this time, and would best be avoided.

With this in mind, role-play the post-attack negotiations between your nations. War is an acceptable outcome of this scenario, however it should be avoided if reasonably possible; you must at least attempt to solve this crisis diplomatically.

The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

OOC: This took me way too long to write. Honestly, I'm going to consider most of what's in the first test's response as canon for my nation. Adds some nice background and weaponry that can be used later on...

IC:

>>>Starboard Station<<<
Another quiet day for the station’s crew. Station’s defense fleet was off doing training maneuvers, so the majority of the dock staff had an unofficial day off. Dock workers for Bay 2 were still hard at work on an engine tune-up for a frigate, so the workers there weren’t so lucky.
Nothing had come up on scanners either. No hostile vessels, space debris, or even the odd bit of human or alien remains were showing up. An unusually quiet, peaceful day.

>>>Protectorate Government Housing Complex A, Cerberus City, Elysium<<<

Observer Icarus. The council must meet immediately.

The message shot through his head almost instantaneously after the worst migraine headache of all time had woken up from a usually peaceful night of rest.
Ra Icarus rubbed his head a little, trying to think through what must have caused his senses to detect something that strongly. It felt like an attack had caused it, rather than a natural disaster or some internal strife. There had been enough time since the last true war involving the citizens of the protectorate that most members of the council, including Icarus, had never known the shock that would be generated by large numbers of lives being lost as a result of combat. He’d only heard about being able to feel these kinds of things, and since that was one of the few issues he had not felt in any of his years of service on the council, he came to a hypothesis.
“Ugh… computer. News. I don’t feel like sensing things right now.â€
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Test 3:

Worst case scenario: your subversive attacks on the aforementioned imperialistic nation have not yielded the results that were intended. Following the chaos of civil strife, a faction in their military seized complete control of the government and has spent the last few months purging out the opposition, as well as commencing a general military buildup. With their internal enemies eliminated, the empire has now turned its sights on you. While your military has increased in formidability somewhat, you are still the underdog in this engagement.

It’s time for war. You may win or lose, just make it interesting.

The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama

OOC: Well, damn. I think I might just have to blow everything up!

IC:
>>>WarShip Argus, in orbit over Elysium<<<

“We have confirmation. Multiple signatures heading for the Scylla gate. ETA three minutes!â€
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Alright then:

Test 1: I quite enjoyed the writing style, as well as the use of what is (and is not) reported in the media to provide an impression of your nation’s politics… could have been longer.

Test 2: It amazes me how when people are told to ‘use diplomacy’ they take it to mean subterfuge, sabotage, and general cutthroatism. Perhaps this provides some insight on modern culture… or maybe not. Don’t worry too much; even I did this on my first test, so I won’t dock you considerably. I could tell you weren’t really into this topic; it translates into a lack of interesting plot development on my end. The beginning is quite good however.

Test 3: I would have preferred it if you had less blatantly ripped-off Star Wars and Homeworld: Cataclysm tech wise, but ultimately that is your decision and irrelevant to the testing process. It’s easily the best written of your tests.

Average: 85

PASS