Kostemetsia

This subforum is for passed applications past.
Kostemetsia
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Commonwealth of
Name: Kostemetsia

Kostemetsia

Post by Kostemetsia »

Greetings.

I've heard excellent things about the Extra-Solar Union of Systems, and I know a couple of role-players from here. In every situation in which I've encountered them, they've shown themselves to be excellent in every respect. I was wondering if I might be admitted to these hallowed halls.

To summarise my nation:
Kostemetsia is a democratic republican commonwealth, not attached to any larger body. Mainly, its citizens value civil rights and political freedoms, sometimes not caring about the economy. To that end, our tax rate is de jure 100% (although since this is ICly due to a paperwork snafu, the de facto rate is 20%). They also have a great sense of patriotism, and are, as a general rule, willing to challenge those who demean them.

Diplomatically, Kostemetsia is xeno-friendly, and generally shies away from war, although will enthusiastically come to the aid of an ally in distress. Cloning hasn't been considered as a military option, generally because it would be unneccessary and there is no popular interest in it, and artificial intelligences make up a significant portion of the Armed Forces' planning staff.

As in most nations, there's an assortment of agencies which will take care of those matters which might be embarrassing to the public. However, these agencies are rarely called into use, due to a strong sense of honour and a tendency to be altruistic on behalf of the government.

There's quite a bit more information if you want it, but I don't want to drone on too much in one post. Thanks for allowing me to apply.

Edit - removed malfunctioning emote.
[center]Image
God hasn't played dice with the universe since that fateful drunken night when he lost classical mechanics to the devil at craps.[/center]
Capsule Corporation
SHINY
Prefix: The Raysian Incarnation of the
Name: Capsule Corporation

Re: Kostemetsia

Post by Capsule Corporation »

Greetings, Representative of Kostemetsia.

While Raysia is in no position to mark you qualified or otherwise on your application to join us, we thank you for applying to this great union of those who have chosen to leave Earth.

Our nation is driven by technology, and we are constantly seeking new fundamental-theorem technologies. We are curious what kind of technologies you possess. Anything of note? What got you decided to leave Earth? How did you accomplish the move? Do you have anything cool or special or original? Because we would love to learn about it :)

Feel free to explore our ESUS WIKI for information on our nations and technologies.
DESTROY US ALL!!! DESTROY US ALL!!! DESTROY US ALL!!!
Zerstorendar
ESUS Hot Lunch
Prefix: The Mannlich Imperium of
Name: Zerstorendar

Post by Zerstorendar »

Welcome. It seems ESUS is getting busy these days. Good times!
Kostemetsia
ESUS Spambot

Post by Kostemetsia »

Zerstorendar, thanks for the welcome. ^_^

Raydan, thanks for posting. We use a Clayton drive (a renaming of a drive adapted from Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga). Basically, it's a ship-portable temporary wormhole transit system.

We left Earth as colonists, and fully separated through a revolution. As far as cool stuff, we're developing telemotech at the moment - teletech is artificial telepathy, emotech is affecting the emotions with technology, and telemotech is a combination of the two. We're also refining wearable computing with transmitter/receiver equipment in clothing.
[center]Image
God hasn't played dice with the universe since that fateful drunken night when he lost classical mechanics to the devil at craps.[/center]
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

Kostemetsia wrote:Basically, it's a ship-portable temporary wormhole transit system.
So there're actual names for those?! And here I was just describing what my ships did for FTL. I should have looked for an easier way!
This won't end well.
Kostemetsia
ESUS Spambot

Post by Kostemetsia »

It's an old piece of Australian slang. Claytons means "the <object> you're having when you're not having a <object>". So Clayton drive is the FTL you're having when you're not having an FTL.
[center]Image
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

I wasn't aware logical paradoxes=FTL o0;
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Kostemetsia wrote:So Clayton drive is the FTL you're having when you're not having an FTL.
I think you'll find that most FTL drives 'shortcut' and never actually send the ship FTL - hyperspace, wormholes, warp, even probability teleport.
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

The time dilation would suck if you actually went FTL..

So would the fact that actual literal FTL travel takes an infinite amount of energy and an infinite amount of mass.
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Hyperspatial Travel
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Aleph-Null Cardinality of
Name: Hyperspatial Travel

Post by Hyperspatial Travel »

Tests, old chum. Now, while I'm posting these tests, I can't mark them, as we're affiliated. Bias, and whatnot. So Trailers or Otagia might mark them, I'm not entirely sure who.

Kindly note that these tests do not have to be considered part of your nation's canon, and most nations tend not to include them in their history. You may, however, include them if you so desire.

Test #1: A invariably deadly, quick-killing, highly infectious disease has taken hold of your nation's capital city. In response, your government has ordered the lockdown of the city, and designated the entire area quarantined - no-one gets in, no-one gets out. Anyone who attempts to escape is shot on sight. Write from the viewpoint of a citizen who has recently lost his/her family to the disease, and how they deal with the situation.

You may decide whether your character ends up living or dying, however, no cure to the disease may be found.

Test #2: The ESUS ambassador to Kostemetsia was assassinated, and a large political faction on your planet are claiming responsibility, having decried the attempts to join the ESUS. In a following diplomatic snafu, a major ESUS fleet is dispatched to your home planet, far too large for you to deal with militarily. Write from the viewpoint of a president, diplomat, or military commander using diplomacy in order to deal with this problem. You may decide how this test ends - whether the diplomacy fails or succeeds has no bearing on the mark of the test.

Test #3: A major trade route/trading partner falls through, and it seems a full-blown depression is in the making. Protestors march in the streets on a regular basis, your nation's legislative body regularly calls for votes of no confidence in your president, and it seems only a matter of time before full-blown riots break out, heralding, no doubt, the end of your government.

Write from the viewpoint of a supporting politician (IE, not your president or highest official), detailing your efforts to try and retain the present government. Whether you succeed or not has no bearing on the test.

- - - -
It's amazing how a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of hungry wolves.