Test 18: Penguenia

This subforum is for passed applications past.
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Test 18: Penguenia

Post by Five Civilized Nations »

Here's your test, Penguenia...

Scenario 1: One of your warships recieves two distress calls at the same time, both ships are in dire emergency. One of the ships is a pleasure cruiseliner with 5,000 civilians on board along with the Nazi leader of Central Facehuggeria and the other ship is a Five Civilized Nations warship, the CNSS-1950 Pheonix, an assault cruiser of the Kazansky class, is under attack from Shivan ships that are attempting to make a catastrophic break through our lines.

RP out the situation, and RP what you do about it. You do not have time to save both ships.
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA
Founding Member of the IADF (Dissolved)

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error."--Benjamin Disraeli
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

--------------------
Rearguard, 3rd Shivan Defense Picket, Belial System
--------------------

The Ensign Matthew Hawthorne and the Commissar Grahm Norington had never been on good terms with each other, ever since the academy they'd been less than friendly rivals. Norington, the arrogant son of a noble family had nothing but bitterness for the son of a commoner whom was allowed into the Naval Officer Cadet Corps. Hawthorne however was a very passive young man at the time, and didn't think much of Norington's hate, dismissing it as jealousy. During their third year, fate seemed to favor them both. Norington was sent to the Commissar Cadet Corps while Hawthorne being sent to learn advanced tactical actions and command etiquette. They both thought they'd never meet again. However the luck they both thought they'd been struck with diminished 4 years later and the two were forced to live, eat, and perform their duties as loyal officers of the Penguenian Navy aboard the newly commissioned Sabbat Class Destroyer, the Teutonic. On top of that, Hawthorne was senior officer, while Norington was to perform the disciplinary and political duties of a commissar. In some ways they both envied each other, Hawthorne the bravado that came with being a commissar and Norington the heroics and praise that the ship's captains received.

"What the hell do you mean we can't assist the 5CN situation?" Hawthorne questioned impatiently as the black uniformed Imperial Commissar closed the office door. "Our mandate states we are to lend any help requested by an allied vessel against a Shivan aggressor! We cannot stand by and let the Great Enemy pass through a defense picket under the watch of an obviously infe-" Norington cut the Ensign off mid sentence.

"This is a delicate situation, Captain, and I am sure there will be no disciplinary actions taken against you for disobeying mandate to rescue the leader of Central Facehuggeria. Do you want to be known as the captain whom let him die? Whom let a noble ally die?" Norington added to antagonize his old rival. There was a tense pause in the small office. Ensign Hawthorne stared angrily at the gaunt, condescending commissar.

"I will not let the enemy break through," Hawthorne snapped in reply, his voice full of spite. He picked up the commlink off his desk and disrespectfully turned his back to the commissar. "Deck, this is Ensign Hawthorne, set course for-"

*click*

"As the political and disciplinary officer of this vessel I am overriding your authority over this ship and her crew. By the powers invested to me by the Inquisition of Penguenia I charge you with treason to the Empire and sentence you to death."

"You're relishing this moment aren't you, you arrogant swine"

"Oh more than you will ever know, peasant."

Commissar Norington smiled as he began to squeeze the trigger, "Now you die, Matthew."

Hawthorne had to think fast. In a fraction of a second the young man realized his only chance. He spun, kicking over the desk, knocking the pistol out of the commissar's hand, then lunged at him. Norington clawed and flailed all he could with the wiry Hawthorne sitting on his chest. He cried out, but the Ensign reached for the knife on his belt, still holding the Norington down with one hand, then slashed the Commissar's throat.

"Goodbye, Grahm."

Three minutes later, in a fresh white uniform, Ensign Hawthorne emerged on the command deck. The crew stared as he strode from the corridor to his captain's chair. They'd listened to the beginning of the seemingly trivial quarrel between the two officers before they had taken it to Hawthorne’s office. "Set course for the interception coordinance the Phoenix sent us... also, Commissar Norington died in the drawn out battle against the Shivan Menace, and will be cast off under the flag of the Empire with the honor of a hero." The crew stopped staring and went about preparing for the battle ahead; the white clad naval personnel had no love for the black clad commissar corps and didn't give a second thought to the pompous Norington.

--------------------
Frontlines, 3rd Shivan Defense Picket, Belial System, Interception Coordinance sent by the Phoenix
--------------------

The Teutonic slowly faded into real space fully cloaked, immediately the sensors picked up closing targets at 12 kilometers. "Looks like we're on time," an enlisted officer commented. Three unidentified Shivan targets at least a kilometer in length each on the heels of a heavily damaged 5CN Kazansky class, which was nearly as small as a Sabbat Class. There were no 5CN fighters intercepting the Shivan aggressors, and few of their mobile suits stationed on the hull, hopefully Hawthorne could position the cloaked Teutonic in time to allow the Phoenix to make her escape and repel the Shivans, maybe destroying one or two in the process.

"Full battle stations, this is gonna be close!" the young Ensign ordered, "I want all four tubes and both heavy beams ready to fire in THIRTY SECONDS. Move to -0828, 1824 and decloak immediately!" He was putting them behind the Shivans, and with luck, they could make this successful. "Fire a volley into the rear of the closest ship the moment we decloak. Send the message that we are here over a secure channel to the Phoenix... make it look like radiation or something..."

Twenty two seconds later the Teutonic was in position, bearing down upon the rear Shivan vessel. "Decloak... NOW!" Hawthorne commanded. Twelve torpedoes launched in rapid succession as they came into visual and sensor view. Soon after the mighty beam cannons began to fire, hitting their target before the torpedoes. Three of the torpedoes missed, but the rest hit dead on, some skimming under the armor before they exploded, creating catastrophic damage. The two unhit Shivan ships began to come about, though the other seemed to be having troubles after being hit. Shivan weapons fire grazed the little Penguenian destroyer's hull, none directly hitting due to the amazing speed and agility of its design.

Adrenaline flowed through Hawthorne’s body, this was the ship's baptism of fire, and he wanted it to be a spectacular victory. "Finish that one off!" The Teutonic focused fire at the rear of damaged Shivan's bridge, decapitating it as the Penguenian ship came within mere yards of it's hull before it exploded, most likely from an auto destruct directive programmed into the AI. "That's one down!" The crew cheered, allowing themselves a moment of celebration, then quickly regained their focus.

A petty officer called across the bridge to Ensign Hawthorne "Sir, the commander of the Phoenix sends that he cannot assist us and that their FTL capabilities are not operational. They have called in more support but it will not arrive for some time. He also sends his thanks."

"Tell them to get as far away from the battle as possible. The priority at this time is that his ship does not take any more damage."

"Aye aye, sir."

The two other Shivan ships were to either side of the Teutonic now. Hawthorne ordered to make for the one to port directly. The Shivans wouldn't dare fire towards each other with their full weapons compliment... would they? Only the moments ahead would tell...

--------------------
Epilogue
--------------------
Ensign Hawthorne and the crew of the Teutonic successfully destroyed two of the Shivan vessels, and held off the third long enough before being destroyed themselves. The Phoenix got far away enough that the reinforcing ships arrived before the last Shivan could catch up. Hawthorne and the crew of the Teutonic would be honored post mortem and forever remembered by the crew of the Phoenix for their sacrifice.

OOC: Sorry for the rushed ending... I just get rather bored with drawn out battles, at least writing one at a single time. It turned out a little longer that I had thought. Hope you enjoyed... lol.
Penguenia
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Now for scenario 2: You are a propaganda agent, and you are trying to convince your civilian population that a giant orbiting battlestation is for civilian purposes. RP how you go about it. Big points for subtley.
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error."--Benjamin Disraeli
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

“Truth Minister Tokarev, speaking,� he said groggily, “who is th-“
“They are asking questions about station twenty-two. Fix it. You have three days. Cost means nothing.� *click*

Tokarev stared at the receiver for a few moments then lay it down on its cradle and powered up the holoscreen integrated into his desk. He began to type, managing several programs at once. Three days meant one and a half in this situation, the first fifty years of colonization and reeducation for an entire race were the most important.

Code: Select all

GARBAGE DISPOSAL STATION TWENTY-TWO.
After three hours that was all he had come up with, they would tell the people that station twenty-two was a garbage disposal station, nothing more, nothing less. For good measure a request would be sent to planetary contractors for a false hull and industrial grade trash disintegrators. These of course would be sent past the station to be melted down and reprocessed.

Code: Select all

+++TOPIC: REQUEST
+++SEND: PENGUENIAN TRANSYSTEM CORP
+++FROM: SERGEI TOKAREV, TRUTH MIN, NACTAL COLONY
+++ATTATCH: GENERAL ORDER XXXT-55893.DOC

+++You are hereby ordered to follow the instructions in the attachment in concerns to station twenty-two. That is all.

-Sergei Tokarev
Transystem had proven to be difficult to work with in the past, being such a massive conglomerate. They were trusted though, mostly because the Emperor was held the majority of its stock. The next morning something had to be printed in the planetary newsfile. He had had two hours of sleep before the call, now he had been awake for an additional six hours, but he began the article nonetheless.
The most benevolent Empire of Penguenia grants us a more efficient trash disposal system!
- Josef Golden, Nactal Daily

Three months ago, our most gracious and benevolent rulers began construction of an orbital space station to rid our planet of the massive amounts of waste we had built up over the centuries since our idiotic ancestors brought us here without any plan for the far off future.
It would take up a small spot on page three. If the Nactalians questioned any more, Director Yakov would cleanse 20% of the population, along with him. They had better believe this work of fiction, for both their sakes.

OOC: Yeah it took me a long time, and it's probably crap, but I'd usually just say "It isn't a battlestation, move along" :lol:
Penguenia
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Scenario #3: Your sensors indicate an asteroid, about 9 kilometers in radius is slowly approaching your capital world. Roleplay your response. But there is a twist. When your vessels approach the asteroid, it cracks open and some unknown alien race attacks...
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

After much thought, I have decided to ask whoever has any authority over testing (5CN, Senior Directorate, ect) for a new third scenario. I have done Combat and Peacetime tests, but haven't been given a Political test. I think that a political test would be better suited as my third test as I've already displayed my skill (or lack thereof) in combat, and the last test also deals with combat.
Penguenia
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Um... Scenario two was supposed to be a diplomatic school...
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

di•plo•ma•cy n.
1. The art or practice of conducting international relations, as in negotiating alliances, treaties, and agreements.

:lol:

Only problem I've got with the current test is that the asteroid would have been destroyed long before it got close to my capital world, with all possible inhabitants along with it. I know the RP tests aren't cannon in that what happens in them doesn't happen in the reality of NS, but my nation itself is supposed to be the same as it is in NS. If no one will reassign a third scenario I'll just do more thinking and do this one eventually. It's all good.
Penguenia
Five Civilized Nations
Mecha Maniac

Five Civilized Nations wrote:Um... Scenario two was supposed to be a diplomatic school...
I didn't mean diplomatic school, I meant that the second scenario was to be resolved peacefully through diplomatic/peaceful means, i.e. using dissimulation, half-truths, and the other tools of a good, crafty politician.

If you really want, I'll give you a diplomatic conundrum to solve...
Member of the ESUS
Former Member of the GDA

Member of the APTO
Member of the CAP

Member of the OPM
Member of NATO

Member of NWO
Member of the LoD

5CN on Wiki
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

I knew what you meant heh, I was pointing out that diplomacy, by definition, was the dealing with international relations. I think I'll stick with the current scenario, because "conundrum" sounds scary, and hey, I actually feel like RPing today... must be because I woke up earlier than 1:30pm :lol:
Penguenia