Probably worth a look.

Access to this forum is restricted to ESUS members only. It contains sensitive records pertaining to ESUS actions past.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Balrogga wrote:Two other holes in their plan are:

A

The nature of the Temporal Anomoly. What parcular defensive abilities does it provide?
Indeed.

B

The target being the first planet they come across. What if their path doesn't provide a collision with a planetary body? Space is huge and planets are small. If it was that easy to hit a planet then every comet would have hit Earth long ago. It's not like they can make course corrections while in Hyperspace at those speeds. They would be through the system before they blinkes so there is no timing involves, just incredible blind luck.
If they knew what they were doing, they'd observe the system from afar first and time it so that their ships hit a given planet. But they don't know what they're doing.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

Again, my previous point. If they just aim a ship with no safety overrides at a far distant system, what keeps those ships from running into a rock or debris..or hell a fucking star..between jump point and planet-smash
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

It all sounds like what I like to call a "cheap shot". That is, if such a thing were applied against me, I would simply ignore it as I generally ignore anything that's on the godmod side of things.

Its things like this that negates (or attempts to) good ol' fashioned mass fleet combats, good stratagies and tactics. This character also does somthing else I loathe..... He cherry pics techs and races from over half a dozen sources. For goodness sake use your damned imagination!
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Trailers wrote:Again, my previous point. If they just aim a ship with no safety overrides at a far distant system, what keeps those ships from running into a rock or debris..or hell a fucking star..between jump point and planet-smash
Mapping? And I don't think he plans to launch it from very far away.

Sskiss wrote:It all sounds like what I like to call a "cheap shot". That is, if such a thing were applied against me, I would simply ignore it as I generally ignore anything that's on the godmod side of things.
It could be, but it really depends on the kind of damage he's expecting to do.

Now, smuggling a few kilos of harmless superconducting dust into an enemy planet's atmosphere, that 'just happens' to be paired to part of a missile via high-order CTE, then lobbing that missile into a star... THAT, is a cheap shot. :P
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

[quote="Kanuckistan
Mapping? And I don't think he plans to launch it from very far away.

[/quote]

D'oh. Good point.
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Godular
ESUS Wanktacular Specimen

Post by Godular »

Y'know... I was thinking about something.

Sort of an answer to the whole infinite energy release thingie resulting from a c+ vessel smacking into a normal object. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that in such a case the c+ object is essentially non-interactive with normal matter, as it is at the same time in front of and behind the object and generally behaving in a manner that normal matter would refuse to recognize.

Tachyonic speeds and all.

Offending ship would get obliterated as a result of the collision, but the body itself wouldn't even know it had been struck...
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

I'd just say that you get no more energy out of FTL ramming than the FTL drive put into the ship. So max reactor output or something.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Trailers wrote:Again, my previous point. If they just aim a ship with no safety overrides at a far distant system, what keeps those ships from running into a rock or debris..or hell a fucking star..between jump point and planet-smash
Absolutely nothing prevents them from hitting space-crap. :)

Though I'd think that they could avoid stars simply through proper aim. It's not like they really move much. :P
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Godular
ESUS Wanktacular Specimen

Post by Godular »

Kanuckistan wrote:I'd just say that you get no more energy out of FTL ramming than the FTL drive put into the ship. So max reactor output or something.
Y'know... I like that. Simple and relatively easy to quantify...
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Balrogga »

The real ironic thing is this Thread is more active than the Copen~ Thread.

It is also full of more origionality too.