What to do with a frakton of negative mass?

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Re: What to do with a frakton of negative mass?

Post by Kanuckistan »

Otagia wrote:On the subject of BEC laser-slugs, mind if I market a weapon using the tech? I'll give you credit, and 60% of the profits off any of the things using it I sell.
Sure. Licensed through Uniphase Armouries Interversal on behalf of a third party.

Just keep me apraised of what you do with it. Always like to see others playing with my toys.
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Incorporated States of
Name: Miskonia

Post by Celestial Seibutsu »

Kanuckistan wrote:in addition to the ability to cancel/nullify normal mass.
Ok so my physics understanding is no where near what it most likely should be, but that right there screams explosive to me.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

I'm having problems grasping the concept of negative mass. I mean really, can one own -5 apples?

EDIT: Visual overload, giving me a headache!
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Please for the sake of god lose the background. I like my president too but please for the sake of my eyes get rid of it.
Hyperspatial Travel
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Aleph-Null Cardinality of
Name: Hyperspatial Travel

Post by Hyperspatial Travel »

Y'see, now I just wish McCain had won. Mindset wouldn't have done this for him.

(though I'm somewhat surprised that the shirtless beach picture isn't gracing the ESUS site right now)
It's amazing how a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of hungry wolves.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Please don't spam general, SC.

Thank you.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

Celestial Seibutsu wrote:Please for the sake of god lose the background. I like my president too but please for the sake of my eyes get rid of it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Celestial Seibutsu wrote:
Ok so my physics understanding is no where near what it most likely should be, but that right there screams explosive to me.
You're thinking matter/antimatter. Those are different forms of energy, they just don't get along.

Negative mass isn't antimatter, it's what you get when you take 0 apples, and split it into piles of 5 apples and -5 apples; combining the two gets you zip. Or you dig a hole to get some soil for your garden - the hole is, thermodynamically, akin to negative mass.

Sskiss wrote:I'm having problems grasping the concept of negative mass. I mean really, can one own -5 apples?

Think of it as digging a hole in thermodynamics. Or in terms of debt - you 'borrow' 5 apples from the universe, so you get your apples, but also have a debt of -5 apples, and as with debt, you can move it around change it's form, etc., but can't get rid of it without paying it back in some form.

To reiterate, physics is weird.
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Kanuckistan wrote:
Celestial Seibutsu wrote:
You're thinking matter/antimatter. Those are different forms of energy, they just don't get along.

Negative mass isn't antimatter, it's what you get when you take 0 apples, and split it into piles of 5 apples and -5 apples; combining the two gets you zip. Or you dig a hole to get some soil for your garden - the hole is, thermodynamically, akin to negative mass.

Sskiss wrote:I'm having problems grasping the concept of negative mass. I mean really, can one own -5 apples?

Think of it as digging a hole in thermodynamics. Or in terms of debt - you 'borrow' 5 apples from the universe, so you get your apples, but also have a debt of -5 apples, and as with debt, you can move it around change it's form, etc., but can't get rid of it without paying it back in some form.

To reiterate, physics is weird.
But if you can take negative mass and add it to positive mass which in turn destroys the positive mass, then why not make a weapon of some kind to disperse it on your enemies?
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Celestial Seibutsu wrote: But if you can take negative mass and add it to positive mass which in turn destroys the positive mass, then why not make a weapon of some kind to disperse it on your enemies?
Because it nullifies at a 1:1 ratio - one kilo eats a kilo of enemy armour, and that's it.

You might as well use antimatter instead, then you have one kilo of projectile eating one kilo of enemy hull and spitting out 45 megatons TNTe of energy, point-blank.

:(