This is why we can't have nice things...

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Re: This is why we can't have nice things...

Post by Arizona Nova »

Arizona Nova wrote:STAR TREK: SERIOUS BUSINESS
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

The Mindset wrote:.... 60s idealistic mindset... You say Star Trek is a comment on the times? In its current format, it's unable to do that. It's out of date, dusty, irrelevant. This reboot fixes that
I believe I sufficiently tailored that to make my point... Star Trek is about 60s idealism, about peace and such. This movie is making Star Trek is now Star Wars, action for the sake of action with no substance to the plot. I can't believe that you of all people would advocate explosions for the sake of explosions in sci-fi over commentary on the state of human affairs.
Mindset wrote:You say the rebooted aesthetic is bad? Would you rather they kept the old aesthetic? If so, you're in no position to criticise any kind of design work, because you're blind.
I am not a fan of the TOS Enterprise, but here's the thing. What if Lucas (God forbid) decided to redo the original movies and decided that the Millennium Falcon was not 'modern' looking enough and changed one of the most iconic ships ever to a post-modern piece of shit?
the Mindset wrote:You, and all fanboys, need to let it go
I am no fanboy, fanboys can't criticize their franchise. I am levying valid points, especially on the plot aspect of it.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Saw the preview when I went to see Quantum of Solace.

I'll be going for the pretty 'splosions - anything else is icing on the icecream cake.

That is all.
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

RAGERAGERAGE

It's just a shitty sci-fi movie. We've had 'em since the '50s. ._. So what if it blows xeno genitalia?
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

More one to the list. I never liked either Star Trek or Star Wars anyway. And likewise, the overprevalence of shiny special FX is a common way to disguise a crappy story, horribly-designed characters and a shitty plot, and something that many space operas and sci-fi movies have done because their story was made of fail.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

You've missed my point. My point is that the idealistic 60s mindset of the current Star Trek format no longer reflects contemporary culture. It is too out of date to make any relevant comment on modern times. You have no idea if this is without substance, you've not seen it yet. Upon what do you base your opinion? The trailer? Look at the trailer for the first Star Trek movie. It's exactly the same - effects heavy, low on plot. That's what trailers are!

You're complaining about changing an iconic design? I can see your point, but I think it's irrelevant given what the director is doing with this. It's a reboot of Star Trek designed to strip away the 60s idealism - the shitty design of the original Enterprise is a product of a 60s aesthetic. Just like the content, the aesthetic had to go. It's simply not good enough for today's audiences.
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

I lol'd that people are like "plot sux har har."

Protip: Every Trek plot in the history of forever has fellated Darth Vader's big, black robot penis. The fact that they made Trek finally look cool is enough to make this movie the best thing that's happen in ever.
Penguenia
Otagia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Otagia »

Protip: Every Trek plot in the history of forever has fellated Darth Vader's big, black robot penis.
QFT.
Stercus stercus stercus Moriturus Sum
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

Pro Tip: There were only two good Star Wars movies, the rest were absolute shit that had a high budget, like ST: XI will be.
Zerstorendar
ESUS Hot Lunch
Prefix: The Mannlich Imperium of
Name: Zerstorendar

Post by Zerstorendar »

Professional Piece of Advice: Star Trek plots have always sucked, why is now any different?