Need Help Breaking the "Third Spanish States Curse"

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Re: Need Help Breaking the "Third Spanish States Curse"

Post by Sskiss »

Magnetic Monopole reactionless drives are feasable if you take into account the theory of magnetic monopoles. Basically a partical (magnet) with only one pole.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

The Laws of Solar Communes Universe.

Blah.
Law of Conservation of Momentum

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3am.html
Note that it is possible to avoid that law with an open system, with something like a solar sail, a spacecraft launched by a mass driver based on an asteroid, pellet-stream propulsion, or a Starwisp. In these cases, the propulsion system is external to the spacecraft, so the system is open and the law does not apply.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

I find myself pondering the implications of a drive that couples to the galaxy's magnetic field to move your ship?

Tho I'm not sure if SLDS breaks physics - it moves the ship, but doesn't impart or alter motion. Inertialess and all that. You'd have to linger in a gravity well to change your actual velocity without another drive to draw on.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

If something is capable of moving Inertialess, it breaks the law of Inertia which is a scientific postulate regarding the motion of objects.
[...](rough translation)moving without motion
ZOMG My brain is seizing again!

Just joking. Also, no offense intended, but the "World War Two in Space" trope is really old and in my personal opinion, over-saturated*

*If that is the primary reason for the "Inertialess" factor.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

I'm a fan of the starship simulator Independence War (aka IWAR), so I stole and tweaked their Linear Displacement Drive System (LDS) - it relocates a ship, oh, probably an angstrom or so, via controled quantum uncertainty, then does it again and again and again, effectively a sort of short-range skip-teleporter that simulates motion, without touching inertia.

It can be used in NS verse, with my tweaks, as a sort of "Slow FTL" drive, and was the precurser to my current primary FTL drive.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

Kanuckistan, are you implying that your primary engine relies on what is technically Faster-Than-Light travel and that there is no backup conventional propulsion of ion/fusion/bussard ramjet/antimatter/whatever to replace them if necessary? Then what happens when an effective FTLi is employed against them?

BTW, I-War is a great game. And anything based on Wing Commander: Privateer is epic.

My propulsion involves blowing up the equivalent of countless Hiroshima nukes in a fraction of seconds to push it forward.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Solar Communes wrote:Kanuckistan, are you implying that your primary engine relies on what is technically Faster-Than-Light travel and that there is no backup conventional propulsion of ion/fusion/bussard ramjet/antimatter/whatever to replace them if necessary? Then what happens when an effective FTLi is employed against them?

For balance purposes, FTLi should only affect it when it's attempting to effect macro-scale FTL. Besides, blocking it's operation should technically screw over everything affected by uncertainty, including the atoms in your body. :mrgreen:

But no, it's general use is as an expensive fast-sublight/slow-FTL drive. It's not actually that common outside the military.

Most sublight uses my Inertial Direct Drive(IDD) tech, which is pretty cheap, but we've already established it doesn't work in your universe.

Reaction drives are virtually non-existent outside things like the Orion StreetLuge.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

All inertia does is to make space battles and space flight last more time because it doesn't make spacecrafts more or less predictable, it just adds an insignificant extra for targeting computers to process. And if this extra time is well RPed, then epicness ensues.

Again, carve a hole in your ship aft and rig an improvised exhaust turning one of your powerplants in an improvised reaction engine. Think outside the box.

8)
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Solar Communes wrote: Again, carve a hole in your ship aft and rig an improvised exhaust turning one of your powerplants in an improvised reaction engine. Think outside the box.

I already told you it wasn't a problem - I'm just trying to figure out what will and what won't work, so I know what the tech issues to RP will be. I do not lack alternative options(although what you suggest wouldn't work anyway, for technical reasons :P ), and have no issue with ICly discovering my stuff doesn't work.

Plus I enjoy talking about this stuff.

Still working out a satisfactory entry vector.

Solar Communes wrote:All inertia does is to make space battles and space flight last more time because it doesn't make spacecrafts more or less predictable, it just adds an insignificant extra for targeting computers to process. And if this extra time is well RPed, then epicness ensues.
???

And this has to do with, what exactly?

I think you've rather misinterpreted my motives. :lol:
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

Kanuckistan wrote:And this has to do with, what exactly?

I think you've rather misinterpreted my motives. :lol:
Likely, I just prefer space flight with at least Newtonian physics unscathed because it's more cool than Star Wars inertialess dogfight BS. Just personal preference.

Although of course, ESUS average technology makes all Star Wars and Trekkie stuff only useful as cannon fodder. I read once in an EPIC LULZ site a claim that a today modern army could defeat the Federation with F-35s, assault rifles and other modern stuff.

*Edit: It's obviously biased, but it's LOL - http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... rison.html