GalCiv II

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Re: GalCiv II

Post by The Mindset »

I tried to play it but found it very boring. Playing for an hour to capture one planet isn't my idea of fun.
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

But, Brett, c'mon, think about the depth of play!
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

I think Mindset wasn't using his racial and governmental abilities to their fullest, methinks. I typically go with a combination of industrialist party and speedboost. This way, with a few purchases here and there, I can expand far more quickly than anyone else. Then, once I've got my ground troops up to snuff, I can begin taking others' worlds.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:I think Mindset wasn't using his racial and governmental abilities to their fullest, methinks. I typically go with a combination of industrialist party and speedboost. This way, with a few purchases here and there, I can expand far more quickly than anyone else. Then, once I've got my ground troops up to snuff, I can begin taking others' worlds.
Well, I mean the length of time it takes just to get to a stage where you can produce ground troops. In the first campaign, there's a maximum of three worlds you can colonise (because those shiny blue non-humans colonise the rest much faster than you can), meaning you have limited research capability. If you add up all the prerequisites required for planetary invasion (which you must do), it's going to take 45+ turns before you can take one planet.

Which is stupidly long.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

The Mindset wrote:
Central Facehuggeria wrote:I think Mindset wasn't using his racial and governmental abilities to their fullest, methinks. I typically go with a combination of industrialist party and speedboost. This way, with a few purchases here and there, I can expand far more quickly than anyone else. Then, once I've got my ground troops up to snuff, I can begin taking others' worlds.
Well, I mean the length of time it takes just to get to a stage where you can produce ground troops. In the first campaign, there's a maximum of three worlds you can colonise (because those shiny blue non-humans colonise the rest much faster than you can), meaning you have limited research capability. If you add up all the prerequisites required for planetary invasion (which you must do), it's going to take 45+ turns before you can take one planet.

Which is stupidly long.
It's not nearly so bad when you aren't playing a mission with only three planets. Try playing a custom game with a ginormous galaxy.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Well that's what I'm saying, the campaign is boring, because it's so slow.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

The Mindset wrote:Well that's what I'm saying, the campaign is boring, because it's so slow.
The campaign is more filler/fluff, really. The real meat is in the custom games.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

The real meat is always in the custom games. While I don't doubt the artistry and effort put into campaigns, I can never bring myself around to playing them. I prefer making my own little universe then going about conquering it.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}