New Computer...

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
The Othranar
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Re: New Computer...

Post by The Othranar »

Kanuckistan wrote:I imagine a carrier would be, ya know, rather stable. And that a laptop would be stowed when not in use anyway.
'nuff said...
It's not a cookie. It's art.
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Incorporated States of
Name: Miskonia

Post by Celestial Seibutsu »

The Othranar wrote:
Kanuckistan wrote:I imagine a carrier would be, ya know, rather stable. And that a laptop would be stowed when not in use anyway.
'nuff said...
Find a pic of a Nimitz class carrier doing that. Then we'll talk.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

It still does, I should think. And not all the carriers in the US Navy could be Nimitzes... that'd be like having an entire fleet of Hyperions or something. It'd be insanity!

I envy less the people who fly the planes, though - it's like, not only do you get the wonderful dangers associated with takeoff and landing, but now the airfield is pitching up and down and side to side the whole time while steadily moving in a different direction. AWESOME.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Arizona Nova wrote:It still does, I should think. And not all the carriers in the US Navy could be Nimitzes... that'd be like having an entire fleet of Hyperions or something. It'd be insanity!

Well, there's the Kitty Hawk, which is about to be decommissioned(iirc left Japan to return home to start the process last month), and the Enterprise, plus 10 Nimitz class, including the George H. W. Bush, which is currently finished but not yet commissioned - I think it's on sea trials or something.

So, yeah, they're pretty much all Nimitz class.
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Arizona Nova wrote:It still does, I should think.
Not really, there's far too much mass of the ship to turn up that much. Far more of the ship sits below the waterline so there's a lot more mass holding it in place. Yea, there's a bit of a pitch when do a 180 but not that much.
Arizona Nova wrote:And not all the carriers in the US Navy could be Nimitzes... that'd be like having an entire fleet of Hyperions or something. It'd be insanity!
You think we're not that crazy? Oh and to add check out the Ford Class. :P
Arizona Nova wrote:I envy less the people who fly the planes, though - it's like, not only do you get the wonderful dangers associated with takeoff and landing, but now the airfield is pitching up and down and side to side the whole time while steadily moving in a different direction. AWESOME.
The new JSF and current F-18 take of automatically (the pilots have to put their hands on their head during launch as to not mess anything up) and during landing the computer matches the pitch and roll of the ship with the pitch and roll of the aircraft so it's supposed to be like landing on a ground airstrip.
Kanuckistan wrote:Well, there's the Kitty Hawk, which is about to be decommissioned(iirc left Japan to return home to start the process last month), and the Enterprise, plus 10 Nimitz class, including the George H. W. Bush, which is currently finished but not yet commissioned - I think it's on sea trials or something.

So, yeah, they're pretty much all Nimitz class.
The USS Washington was the last non Nimitz class carrier in service. It started the decommissioning process two weeks ago. Dunno about the USS Enterprise, but I'm pretty sure it's been modified to become damned close to Nimitz class.

Oh and the USS George H. W. Bush is set to be commissioned on the first of next year from what I heard.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Celestial Seibutsu wrote: The USS Washington was the last non Nimitz class carrier in service. It started the decommissioning process two weeks ago. Dunno about the USS Enterprise, but I'm pretty sure it's been modified to become damned close to Nimitz class.

Oh and the USS George H. W. Bush is set to be commissioned on the first of next year from what I heard.
You're thinking of the aformentioned USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) - USS George Washington (CVN-73) is replacing her on station in Japan, and was Nimitz #6.
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Kanuckistan wrote:
Celestial Seibutsu wrote: The USS Washington was the last non Nimitz class carrier in service. It started the decommissioning process two weeks ago. Dunno about the USS Enterprise, but I'm pretty sure it's been modified to become damned close to Nimitz class.

You're thinking of the aformentioned USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) - USS George Washington (CVN-73) is replacing her on station in Japan, and was Nimitz #6.
Err yea, I think I merged two thoughts there and it came out in a jumble.