Anime Suggestions

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Siesatia
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Unified Worlds of
Name: Siesatia

Anime Suggestions

Post by Siesatia »

I'm in need of a new Anime, I'm a big fan of space based series, space opera aren't bad, but the closest I'll get to mecha are Macross Variable fighters.

I just finished Macross and Starship Operators... any other suggestions?
Dear god... No more 5 year old Signature...

Proud ESUS Member since '04
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Re: Anime Suggestions

Post by Sskiss »

I enjoyed an anime called "Laputa, castle in the sky".
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

Phallusmon

It's like pokemon, only all the little monsters are cocks. :D
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Otagia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Otagia »

Could try Outlaw Star. Spacedy comedy show.
Stercus stercus stercus Moriturus Sum
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Oh, if only Kressh or Otagia were here. In his stead, I recommend:

Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Wolf's Rain
Ergo Proxy
Death Note
Trigun
Record of Lodoss Wars
FLCL (not for the intolerant of absurdity)
Ghost in the Shell (haven't fully seen, but what I have caught is usually pretty awesome)

Technically few of the above are technically scifi, but anime has never been a particular stickler for observing strict conventions, in my experience, and mixes sci-fi, drama, and fantasy with aplomb.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Hmm. Urotsukidoji is always a classic. You should also go with Urotsukidoji: New Generation, too. The artwork is inspired. It's really the standard by which all of its genre is judged.

Inchoyuu is also good if you're into the above.

Bible Black and Bible Black: New Testament are good if you're into the whole 'magic in a modern setting' motif.

Magical Girl Ai isn't really sci-fi, though it does include robots and lots of awesome scenes. Not quite as good as any of the above, though. Similarly, La Blue Girl is an anime series that's getting a bit on in its age. I've never really liked it all that much, since it focuses on Ninja and magic (I'm a Pirate-Technologist, myself, so I fall on the other end of the divide), but a lot of people like it.

If you're like me, you'd like Those Who Hunt Elves. It's basically the story of a band of misfits (actress, boxer, crazed military-girl, and tank-spirit) who drive around a medieval world in a tank, hunting down elves for their skin. Despite that summary, it's actually quite lighthearted and fun.

If variable fighters don't bother you, you might want to look at Eureka 7. The main character is a bit of a whiny bitch, but the world is genuinely interesting, and you don't often see mecha that are actually alive and wearing armor, rather than pure mecha. (Outside of Eva at least.) Plus, it's a sweet little love story punctuated by mecha that fly around on anti-grav surfboards.

I've heard Code Geass isn't all that bad, and it's certainly got a unique premise (Britain takes over the world... How often do you see that in anime, eh?), but I've not seen it myself.

Ah! I've forgotten. Tenga-Toppa Gurren Lagann. You MUST see this anime. Yes, it revolves around mecha. It revolves around mecha powered by awesome. Later, the mecha are big enough to use galaxies as shurikens, and they do! But the characterization is also top notch, and you really grow attached to everyone.

If you've not seen Eva, I guess you should just so you can say "I've seen Eva. And I don't understand it." The main character is lovable, even though he's a spineless child who masturbates to comatose girls. Though, to be honest, I think some of the fanfics, most especially Shinji and Warhammer 40,000 and Once More, With Feeling are much more satisfying than canon Eva.
Full Metal Alchemist
Yeah, FMA is grand. It gets massively darker as you get further into the series, though.
Death Note
Death Note is wonderful. I haven't seen all that much of it, but what I have seen is great.
Record of Lodoss Wars
I don't particularly like their art style in that one. I mean, the elf ears are even more rediculously huge than in normal anime. You could probably use them as bladed weapons, if you wanted.
Ghost in the Shell (haven't fully seen, but what I have caught is usually pretty awesome)
GiTS in general is superb, though I've found that Stand Alone Complex (and its second season, SAC: 2nd Gig) is the best.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Siesatia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Siesatia »

I finished and liked FMA a while ago... forgot to mention it. I have to say though, if you havn't seen Space Operators, give it a try, episodes are on youtube. Final episode is incredibly well done... No fillers, no flashbacks, no hackneyed plots aimed at explaining the backstory but only confusing you more, only nitty gritty real as anime can get, mixed with some truly well thought out battle plans.
Code Geass
Been recommended many times, might have to look into it.
Trigun
I disliked it, almost as much as I disliked the Dragonball series.
Those Who Hunt Elves
...Tank Spirit?... This I might just have to see...
Tenga-Toppa Gurren Lagann
I'll look at it too...
If you've not seen Eva, I guess you should just so you can say "I've seen Eva. And I don't understand it." The main character is lovable, even though he's a spineless child who masturbates to comatose girls. Though, to be honest, I think some of the fanfics, most especially Shinji and Warhammer 40,000 and Once More, With Feeling are much more satisfying than canon Eva.
Still didn't explain what the anime is about...

I know space opera are a hard to find genre, but any others?

Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Siesatia wrote:
Those Who Hunt Elves
...Tank Spirit?... This I might just have to see...
It's some sort of demon cat thing that possessed the tank.
I'll look at it too...
It's awesome. Probably not your cup of tea, since it's a super robot anime, but it's still great.
Still didn't explain what the anime is about...
That's because nobody actually knows what it's about. :P

Seriously, though, the premise is that a group of godzilla-size aliens called "Angels" are attacking Earth, and Tokyo in particular. To defend Earth from the Angels, humanity forms NERV, an anti-angel organization which uses its knowledge to construct the Evangelion units - sixty meter tall war cyborgs. These Evangelions then do battle with the angels. Young Shinji Ikari (the wuss I mentioned earlier) is forced to pilot one of these. Only he and two others can do it, for reasons that are massively spoileriffic and also extremely fucked up on a psychological level.

But all is not as it seems! Ancient conspiracies are afoot, and what awaits humanity is a formless nightmare waiting to be unleashed on the planet! Also: Strange christian symbolism ahoy! (When angels die, they explode in giant crucifixes. Longinus in this universe was the most badass Roman ever. You'll see why later.)
I know space opera are a hard to find genre, but any others?
Uh...

Vandread is a space opera show that I've heard is decent.

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars is also supposed to be good space opera, but I don't like the progatonist species. The fucking Abh are like space elves. The show goes out of its way to portray them as superior, and then expects us to like them even when they act like fascists.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

Well, let's see...

Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 are pretty good, though they are pretty mecha-heavy. Only 6 episodes each, but badass enough that I've managed to watch both all the way through in one sitting, and enjoyed it. Hell, I've started working some stuff from these two into my nation...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is something that gets heavily suggested by almost anyone who I've talked to that has seen it, and has shown up as a common suggestion on /m/ on 4chan. I don't have the patience or time to sit through a 110+ episode series, but you might enjoy it. Space opera, absolutely no giant robots (as far as I know). I say it fits your criteria.
This won't end well.
Siesatia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Siesatia »

The Cerberus Alliance wrote:Well, let's see...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is something that gets heavily suggested by almost anyone who I've talked to that has seen it, and has shown up as a common suggestion on /m/ on 4chan. I don't have the patience or time to sit through a 110+ episode series, but you might enjoy it. Space opera, absolutely no giant robots (as far as I know). I say it fits your criteria.
I head about it, but there's no English Version, and I've heard about forty people say there are glaring mistranslations in the subtitles that fuck certain aspects of the plot over, and its incredibly hard to find, but its definatly on my TO GET list... considering I'm going to Otakon, I might be able to find a copy...