My motherboard is dead

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

My motherboard is dead

Post by Jordaxia »

just in case anybody ever thought it a good idea, my ASUS p5k se lasted about 2 months before breaking. now it just gets to the screen after it shows me a big ASUS logo, and crashes, without letting me do anything that might help the situation, like ACCESS THE BIOS. even resetting the CMOS won't help. Fucking fuckers. So yeah, whilst I've no motherboard, the writing I was working on I can't get easy access too, and I cannot play ANY of my videogames at all, so I am really, really bored. it's doubly disappointing, as the 'krotsemid' post I left in interstellar incidents I hadn't abandoned, there's a quite lengthy post sitting on my now inaccessable hard drive that I'd been beavering away on, whenever I managed to figure out how to write something so it didn't sound like primary school level fanfic. (how the hell do you introduce a character arriving into a scene anyway? "and then a woman opened a door and seen our hero and walked up to him and said hello" sounds a bit 'fucking dumb' if you ask me.

Anyway, moral of the story. don't be surprised if you get an ASUS mobo and it fucks up soon after you buy it.
"Don't imitate anyone, even if they're admirable. When things lose their individuality, they descend into chaos. The thing you should fear most is the loss of your individuality. Disregard advancement. Live by your own truth. Preserve what is genuine within yourself."
-Guo Xiang.

I hate ST warp core drives! They're like; "hi, I'm basic physics. Care to FUCK ME IN THE ARSE?" -Me.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Re: My motherboard is dead

Post by Kanuckistan »

Oh fuck, you scared me!

At first glance I read the thread title as "My mother is dead"

:shock: :oops:

:lol:
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

My ASUS board has lasted fairly well, and that's with a heavily (30%) overclocked processer inside it. I've even blown up the on-board soundcard with a 15A input from an electric amp (to a 5mA line-in). It started smoking, but it's still fine.

What do you think cause the death?
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Damn, that sucks. (so far) In my experience it's always been the hard drives which spontaneously die on you, though I've had the fortune of having "long" hard drive deaths of gradual deterioration of performance and functionality over "lol game over" burnouts. I am really quite surprised that the processor in my laptop, considering the forge-like temperatures it worked itself up to under stress, has held out as long as it did (though my laptop had a sound card failure which necessitated a replacement of the whole motherboard, all courtesy of Dell <3, which gave me a brand new old processor). The terrible thing about motherboard death I think would be that you would just about *have* to buy the same motherboard from the same manufacturer to get things up and running again, whereas a dieing HD means that you have to back up files in a hurry, but then have your pick of newer (more) dependable hardware; that is, assuming you don't get a new computer entirely and assimilate the old hardware into it, and considering the hassle of installing a motherboard (especially one that might randomly explode again someday), that may be the best option for preserving your sanity.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

Arizona Nova wrote:"lol game over" burnouts
Happened to me once, on my old desktop. Middle of playing RTW or some shit, a processing unit in my harddrive CAUGHT FIRE
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Trailers wrote:
Arizona Nova wrote:"lol game over" burnouts
Happened to me once, on my old desktop. Middle of playing RTW or some shit, a processing unit in my harddrive CAUGHT FIRE
Sweet zombie Jesus. I think I only avoided that fate with my laptop by basically sitting it down in permanent positions on the desktop and having a foot wide desk fan blasting away on the motherfucker if I did anything more advanced than word processing.

I had a very noisy college life.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

I did the same thing. I had overclocked the processor and the videocard, so I took off the side of the CPU and set a box fan next to it. :3

result: fire
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Only computer failure I've had, save a power out killing my modem, has been waking up one morning to discover my old pentium 100 sitting in a pool of battery acid, aparently having bled to death in the PSU; that stuff was everywhere inside it.

Think it was about two months later I bought my current computer.