General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

On the Worldwar Series

Post by Solar Communes »

Because as a fan of WW2 themed stuff, it seems an interesting reading:

Basically, it's about an invasion of Reptilians during the middle of WW2 and the efforts of humanity, with its inevitably ironies of fate, like Nazis and Allies fighting together. Although the premise seems interesting, I still would like the opinion of someone who has read it(Sskiss maybe)?
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Re: On the Worldwar Series

Post by Sskiss »

I've often found such scenerios very unrealistic. Any people that have achieved a high level of mastery over certain natural phenomena (physics etc...) would view WWII technology like we now view swords and spears. A hypothetical invasion by such a power would encounter no serious problems or obstacles in the conquest of Earth and its inhabitants.

The reptilian alien portrayed on the cover does not look much like the Sskiss - too humanoid looking.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

An history about aliens nuking Earth and killing mankind in 1 day isn't fun to write about, neither it is to read.

Plus, the other possibility was already covered by War of the Worlds
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

IIRC, the first book is supposed to be good, tho the series eventually goes down hill, again iirc. The aliens are culturally alien, and the root of their problems in conquest lie therein. I'll say no more lest there be spoilers - all I know I learned by hanging out on the Spacebattles forums.

From what I hear, it'd probably be worth your time - if I happened upon a copy iRL, I'd read it.

Facehugger may know more.
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Indeed, The "Aliens" as such view time differently and act accordingly, that and everyone else theyve enslaved has been so far below them theyve never been spurred to continue development as we have.

That, and when they surveyed us last we were using spears and such.

Either way, i've not read it, Though i'd like to. Mostly going off of indirect and direct fan fiction etc.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Sskiss wrote:I've often found such scenerios very unrealistic. Any people that have achieved a high level of mastery over certain natural phenomena (physics etc...) would view WWII technology like we now view swords and spears. A hypothetical invasion by such a power would encounter no serious problems or obstacles in the conquest of Earth and its inhabitants.

The reptilian alien portrayed on the cover does not look much like the Sskiss - too humanoid looking.
The "Race" from the Worldwar novels are basically stuck at a STL 1960s level of technology, barring cryogenics and perfected nuclear pulse (orion-style) stardrives, AFAIK. Modern Earth would wipe the floor with them.

(Though they had decent hydrogen engines for vehicles, and their stuff was incredibly reliable because it's been perfected over thousands of years. Rather than improve stuff by making new stuff, they focused on making the stuff they have as good as they can make it.)

They are also fantastically, freakishly slow to advance. Their empire has been much the same as it was for the past few thousand years.

The premise of the novels is that they sent a probe, which sent images of knights battling on European battlefields. They then assumed that humanity was like them, and would still be using similar weapons by the time the conquest fleet arrives some five or six centuries later.

Of course, humans being bastards, we advance faster than the poor Sskiss-alikes can possibly comprehend. They arrive during World War II, and it's only through their use of nuclear weapons that they're able to stalemate the numerically and tactically superior human forces.

The Race is freakishly arrogant, but they aren't really 'bad' guys - they were genuinely disgusted at the concentration camps, and stuff like that.

Supposedly the first book was pretty good, but they've been on a steady downhill curve since then, with various illogical politics and random sex scenes that don't add to the story.

It's much better than that filth Freehold, but if you're looking for a good alien invasion novel, you want Niven and Pournelle's Footfall, which is awesome in a can. It features genuinely alien aliens who aren't braindead by writer fiat. They actually use orbital bombardment effectively, but it isn't just a walkover.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Zerstorendar
ESUS Hot Lunch
Prefix: The Mannlich Imperium of
Name: Zerstorendar

Post by Zerstorendar »

I always found the idea of a WWII Earth fighting an alien foe quite awesome, if impractical. Has anybody ever played "Resistance: Fall of Man?" I haven't, but it's a cool idea.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Zerstorendar wrote:I always found the idea of a WWII Earth fighting an alien foe quite awesome, if impractical. Has anybody ever played "Resistance: Fall of Man?" I haven't, but it's a cool idea.
Old, but have you seen this? Truly it embodies everything awesome in that particular example of fiction, and it's only a trailer for a mod.

IT MADE WE WANT TO GET THE GAME JUST TO PLAY IT
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Zerstorendar
ESUS Hot Lunch
Prefix: The Mannlich Imperium of
Name: Zerstorendar

Post by Zerstorendar »

Ah yes, I've seen that. It's excellent, and that's probably the best example I've seen.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

I have to admit, the video looking interesting.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"