I have a fairly radical suggestion

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

I have a fairly radical suggestion

Post by The Mindset »

I thought I'd post it here to gauge reaction before posting it in the Senate for a vote.

I'm going to suggest the IC dissolution of the ESUS.

The reason for this is that I think we've evolved to become a primarily OOC "country club". The IC restrictions enforced by our constitution only serve to prevent RP between our members, and also makes people outwith the ESUS view it as problematic to engage in RP with ESUS members for fear of our collective wrath.

With the dissolution of the ESUS comes an individualistic chaos that's not been present on NS since 2004. It may even open avenues for new mega-alliances (and the consequential mega-alliance wars) to form.

The ESUS isn't stagnant, it's remained consistently active (within reasonable bounds) since its inception. NS FT RP isn't stagnant either, there's a lot of really good, really young nations out there. I think it just needs to be shaken up a bit, made more interesting, and I think the way to do that is to fundamentally alter the FT landscape. The dissolution of the ESUS is an effective way to do this.

What do you think?
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Re: I have a fairly radical suggestion

Post by Sskiss »

I've been thinking about this same thing for quite some time now. The ESUS IC'ly has become a "monster" of sorts as well as a bureaucratic nightmare, again IC'ly. On an IC level, the Sskiss would like to see the ESUS whole - the reasons are obvious. On an OOC level, it would provide more oppertunities for RP.

How and why (on an IC level) should the ESUS break apart? Those are the real questions.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

That's another level of bureaucracy right there - why should we dissolve ICly? Do we even need a reason?
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

The Mindset wrote:That's another level of bureaucracy right there - why should we dissolve ICly? Do we even need a reason?
So you just want it to go "poof" so to speak and that's that?
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

I feel that the OOC country club would go away if not backed by the IC alliance, and vice-versa. This was discussed on these forums at some point in the past, I think.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Allanea wrote:I feel that the OOC country club would go away if not backed by the IC alliance, and vice-versa. This was discussed on these forums at some point in the past, I think.

Very much a case of playing with fire, aye.

And there's no reason we can't open the forum to non-members - we already do to some extent, just add a forum for ESUS-specific communication, maybe disable posting in it for non-ESUS members. As for war, it's really only a shield against naked aggression, and even then, there are plenty of cases where members decided against asking for help, and it acts as to facilitate interaction between members, and even non-members by opening the door to threads you might not have otherwise had an excuse to enter.

Tho if we really wanted, we could make the ESUS a paper tiger - the ol' Stale-Sandwich-Hunamitarian-Aid loop-hole - and effectively kill the military aspect while keeping the trade and community. It wouldn't be a sudden thing, just the ESUS losing credibility as a military alliance.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

Sskiss wrote:How and why (on an IC level) should the ESUS break apart? Those are the real questions.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... atosPileup

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ngDisorder

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... bleTraitor : That's me : )

Someone just have to throw the first stone...
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Trailers
Take Off Every Zig For Great Justice!
Prefix: The Glorious Hellenic Empire
Name: Trailers

Post by Trailers »

Have we considered a "decline and fall of the ESUS" sort of approach? I mean, there IS a Shivan incursion going on. Seems to me it would be pretty epic to be broken by what made us in the first place.
Traileric Empire

Guide our souls to the Elysium Fields
Bear us home upon our shields
Lay coins across our brows and sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
And when our sons and mothers lay us upon the funeral pyre
Tell them we died Hellenic soldiers with our faces to the fire
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

Solar Communes being completely isolated from ESUS through a Warp Storm and having to fend itself again, without any aid, against the hordes of the Chronosian gods. And add an actual sort of cataclysm of the same scale of the "Eye of Terror" in another galaxy, provoked by far away starfish alien* species being decadent and hedonistic(ehm, I don't want to think about the details) which would fuck up Special Relativity and every known Physical Law in some portions of their universe twisted by the Warp, drive tragic consequences related to psychics and also isolate Gliese 581 from the rest of the human systems, including Sol.

If they impede fascism and theocracy from rising after all of that, then they truly deserve freedom.

*There is no sentient alien species anywhere in Solarian Universe that is humanoid besides humans. Or that evolved a brain-equivalent which thought and logical processes are compatible of human ones, and which thus would allow them to communicate with humans. The consequences of such fact are that there is only one practical way to communicate with aliens in Solarian Universe.

*Edit 1: And add to all of that an unpredicted situation that'll force them to fight by their own and risk their lives again rather than resort to humanoid combat robots to do it.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Jangle Jangle Ridge
Pseudo-member

Post by Jangle Jangle Ridge »

I mean, I still pop on here every now and then even if I don't really RP anymore.
'Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one' Albert Einstein, man of the big brain.

I'm the ESUS member most capable of ingesting a sock! Weeee!

ThePsychopathicOddling@gmail.com

CF is my saviour!