I have a fairly radical suggestion

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Neo-Mekanta
ESUS Cummycow
Prefix: The Galactic Hegemony of
Name: Neo-Mekanta

Re: I have a fairly radical suggestion

Post by Neo-Mekanta »

Actually, I can't see one single event outside the individual nations tearing the Extra-Solar Union of Systems apart, even a civil war.

So, why not invoke Murphy's Law many times over, for each nation?

Rather than one big epic RP, the end of ESUS would take place in a bunch of little short stories or RPs, negating the need to rely on the lazy among us to pull it off. As for what would rip us apart, disaster, mistrust, civil war, any number of things could happen.

By splitting things up, we avoid the lazy ESUS member problem (by letting everyone work at their own pace using fractal time) and can make things suitably epic in scope.

... I'm going to rape you all so hard your various orifaces will be an unending river of blood, and when I'm finally done with everything from your eye sockets to your arsehole, I'm going cut new holes to use...
-Classic Quote
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Neo-Mekanta wrote: By splitting things up, we avoid the lazy ESUS member problem (by letting everyone work at their own pace using fractal time) and can make things suitably epic in scope.
Elaborate? What sort of murphy's law things could we do?
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:But I think we could overcome this laziness for a suitably epic RP. As to what could possibly be so epic - I dunno.
1) A mysterious and unexplained outbreak of Solar Flares wrecking havoc through many systems (if you ever played an old game called Starflight, you'll know what I mean)

2) A chronomancy accelerating the ETA for the Big Freeze (I know it's a LOL idea)

My own fall is already... subtlely being built, and can be seen even in some of the writing tests I posted to join ESUS (A mysterious nanoplague wiping out every non Bioconservative in an entire inhabited Moon...)
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

I have no problem with the dissolution of the ESUS, except for the whole "OOC community falls apart" argument, which I wouldn't have thought would be a problem unless someone mentioned it. The Mindset is right about it allowing its members to roleplay against eachother more and allowing new power to come onto the intergalactic stage.

If there is opposition to the alliance's outright non-existence, then perhaps the organization can come to a point, as it logically would, where its bylaws aren't followed anymore. A "Nation A goes to war with nation B and nobody cares" kind of thing. If it's made clear that it's an alliance in name only with its former unified commonality gone, maybe it will foster what The Mindset hopes.
Penguenia
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Post by Telros »

Can you explain what you mean Penguenia?
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Balrogga »

I would like to point out there is absolutely no reason in the ESUS Constitution we cannot fight. Nothing in there prohibits members from blowing the shit out of each other and as a matter of fact, there is a provision that allows the other members to not join in with the fight.
§5.2 - It is established that a declaration of war between two or more member states shall nullify §5.1.
It has been this way for years and if I remember correctly, it was changed to allow our civil war to happen. Using the excuse of breaking apart so we can fight each other is not valid for the option already exists in the ESUS Constitution.
Celestial Seibutsu
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Incorporated States of
Name: Miskonia

Post by Celestial Seibutsu »

Balrogga wrote:I would like to point out there is absolutely no reason in the ESUS Constitution we cannot fight. Nothing in there prohibits members from blowing the shit out of each other and as a matter of fact, there is a provision that allows the other members to not join in with the fight.
§5.2 - It is established that a declaration of war between two or more member states shall nullify §5.1.
It has been this way for years and if I remember correctly, it was changed to allow our civil war to happen. Using the excuse of breaking apart so we can fight each other is not valid for the option already exists in the ESUS Constitution.
The idea is so that other people war with us, not so that we can war with each other. Breaking the ESUS would make people a bit more interested in possibly waring with nations of the ESUS.
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

*cough Temporal crusade*
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Metallinauts wrote:*cough Temporal crusade*
*Cough TIMECRUSHERS cough.*
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Metallinauts
Prefix: The
Name: Metallinautsi Federation

Post by Metallinauts »

Tis the point I am making good sir. As Arizona put it, that battle would be Ragnarok.

Why would we let the ESUS, mightiest of all alliance go out into the whimper of decay and individualistic disarray when we could have intergalactic Armageddon? Well not literal Armageddon but you know what I mean.

The one issue that would polarize us is Temporal technology.