ESUS Map

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

ESUS Map

Post by The Mindset »

http://map.esusalliance.co.uk/index.php?x=503&y=502

This is what the ESUS spacemap looks like. You can claim sectors here - the coordinates are in the format (xxx,yyy). (500,500) is the center of the map.

And because I know you'll moan, here's a list of things it will not do, and will never do:

1. Zooming in. The map is a dynamically generated image, and zooming in would require a complete rewrite. It's not going to happen, don't even ask.
2. Absolutely nothing on the map represents distance. Nothing. The grid? It means nothing. The map only represents relative location and connections to other systems. Nothing else. It isn't possible to represent galactic distances on such a small scale.
3. The connecting lines between systems can mean whatever you want them to mean. There are two types of line: a white one and a gray one. They're entirely optional.
4. At the moment I have absolutely no plans to include solar systems, space stations, planets etc. Too much work.

What I am working on:

1. You'll eventually be able to enter your own data. You'll be able to select a location on the map, place a system there, name it, choose a colour to represent it, and draw lines between it and any other system you want.
2. Maybe other stellar phenomena can be represented by glyphs. Something on the scale of solar systems - black holes, nebulas etc.
3. At a click of a button, you'll be able to download a map that includes all solar systems (not just through that small portal - it's small to save on bandwidth and processing cycles).
4. That's it.

The data on the map so far is for example purposes only, so you can claim areas that already have stuff on it. Give me the X,Y coords you'd like (claim as many as you like) and a list of those you want connected together. Be specific - list two systems, and say explicitly that you want them to be connected. Tell me the colour you'd like your systems to be in HTML hex code (the post editor on these forums has a colour chart to the right) and the colour (white or gray) you'd like the connections to be.

As a useful feature for roleplay, I may also consider the ability to note where your fleets are located, but not at this point in time.
The Mindset

Re: ESUS Map

Post by The Mindset »

Okay, some progress has been made The map now features an overview of the galaxy, which you then click on to go down to the sectors. You can also place fleets within sectors.

Sometime this week you'll be able to place your own system data.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

I'd like Sol positioned on the galactic map for reference. Also, doesn't it make more sense if fleets reside within a system? I mean, unless your entire race is nomadic, I would think that would be the case.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

Good idea. Also, yeah, that does make more sense, but at the moment there's no system-level view (I'll get around to that eventually).
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Sskiss »

Also, how exactly do you claim sectors? How many can you claim, within reason and how do you place your systems?

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Sskiss wrote:Also, how exactly do you claim sectors? How many can you claim, within reason and how do you place your systems?
You do realize that one sector probably contains thousands of stars, yes? :P
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Sskiss »

Arizona Nova wrote:
Sskiss wrote:Also, how exactly do you claim sectors? How many can you claim, within reason and how do you place your systems?
You do realize that one sector probably contains thousands of stars, yes? :P
Probably millions actually. However, Mindset seems to have abstracted everything so its hard to tell.

The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

The map has 230,400 sectors, each with 144 spots that can be claimed. In total there are 33,177,600 possible system locations. You can claim as many as you want.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

The Mindset wrote:The map has 230,400 sectors, each with 144 spots that can be claimed. In total there are 33,177,600 possible system locations. You can claim as many as you want.
Just you wait until IRON gets their hands on the map though!
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Sskiss »

The Mindset wrote:The map has 230,400 sectors, each with 144 spots that can be claimed. In total there are 33,177,600 possible system locations. You can claim as many as you want.
Okay, once you place Sol on the map, I'll claim my sectors.