Timeline/year insanity!

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Timeline/year insanity!

Post by Arizona Nova »

Well sort of. Some time ago Mindset opened up a can of cthonic worms regarding a standard timeline, here: http://wiki.esusalliance.co.uk/index.ph ... _System.3F

It ended in bitter failure. So foolishly we decided to tackle the issue again, and tonight it merely ended in madness, but from this madness was born a revelation:

The timeline you use - i.e., AD, ACE, MY - is only the "gun," as it were. The "bullets" are years, and specifically, how long the most basic unit in that year is, and how that relates to an absolute standard.

So on the one hand you can sort of explain away discrepancies between counts on account of using a different standard for a year - i.e. it's 6000 in AA and 2000 in BB because AA uses a year which passes 3 years in the time it takes BB to pass 1, due to the planet's revolving around its sun.

To put it another way, the Solar year is one caliber of bullet, and say, a Midna year, which passes 2.9 years for every Solar year, is another, and putting one year-caliber in a timeline-gun it's not chambered for from the outset CAUSES CATASTROPHIC EXPLOSIONS.

So the question is, what is it like, fluid time adherents, having fluid time and thus, no history or progression outside of vague events floating loose and meaningless in time? :twisted:
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Re: Timeline/year insanity!

Post by Telros »

..wut?
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Re: Timeline/year insanity!

Post by Arizona Nova »

Are you confused about the gun analogy or my assault on the farce that is fluid time? Fluid time is a lackadaisacal and lazy way of doing things that just cherry picks dates for historical events that sound nice but are in fact, 9 times out of 10, a completely unrealistic round number, when dates are even accounted for at all. Static - but what I like to call progressive, as it actually accurately tracks progress - time is that used by industrious indivuals who keep an accounting of what they've done and where they've been. Which one are you, rogue?

EDIT: Not on the drugs, just the sleep deprivation
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}