Ideas: a whole bunch of them

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Ideas: a whole bunch of them

Post by Allanea »

I've been having a set of diverse ideas for 'objects' I want to introduce in my nation's military, objects developed by DREAD – my nation's DARPA, if DARPA were run by bona-fide mad scientists. Here are the objects, all of which I plan to use in RP at some point. Input appreciated, especially on the issue of whether they constitute gamebreakers:
  • Object 'Lamprey' – a small droid, perhaps a dozen yards long at the most, the 'Lamprey' is entirely unarmed. The drone is deployed in massive amounts – possibly by the thousands. The Lampreys attach to a target item – a space station, a small asteroid or an STL ship. Once attached, the Lampreys will go into foldspace or hyperdrive and take the object with them. They are not reuseable in any way, shape, or form. Purpose unknown.
  • Object 'Casing' – a generator, based essentially on the Telrosian psyk-out bomb, capable of cutting off connection to the warp or the use of Chaos powers to a small area – the size of a small room. This will prevent the use of psyker powers, demon summonings, and make demons or chaos beings already in the area rather uncomfortable.
  • Object 'Justikar' – essentially, a miniature, disposable flamethrower the size of a large pen or a zippo lighter. To be utilized at a range under two meters, the 'Justikar' will douse the target in promethium and ignite it. It is not clear for what possible purpose the device has been created by the Department.
  • Object 'Nobility' – for all appearances, a thin, silvery glove, this object operates similarly to a full-scale powerfist. When wielded by an appropriately-trained individual, the Object can shatter bone and even light armor.
  • Object 'Passado' – a hand-grenade that triggers a bright flash. Unlike regular flash-bangs, it makes absolutely no sound, yet the flash imitates natural Terran sunlight in every way, shape or form. Purpose unknown.
  • Object 'Uppercut' – a hand-grenade for dealing with magic-users.It is loaded with dweomerite, an anti-magic metal. Beings with dweomerite in their system will be unable to utilize their magic abilities until the items are removed, nor can their injuries be healed through magic.
  • Object 'Hook' – yet another hand-grenade, when thrown, activates a gravitic field which allows it to hang in mid-air, at about the altitude of a grown man's chest. When personnel approach within the grenades kill-range, the munition detonates. Purpose: pursuit deterrent.
  • Object 'Mini Lamprey' - a device similar to Object Lamprey in action, but sized to fit in a man's palm. Uses gravitics or magnets to clamp on to objects (to be attached by hand by personnel). Upon the accumulation of sufficient Mini Lampreys the item enters foldspace and goes to a preprogrammed location. Devices not reuseable.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Re: Ideas: a whole bunch of them

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Allanea wrote: [*]Object 'Lamprey' – a small droid, perhaps a dozen yards long at the most, the 'Lamprey' is entirely unarmed. The drone is deployed in massive amounts – possibly by the thousands. The Lampreys attach to a target item – a space station, a small asteroid or an STL ship. Once attached, the Lampreys will go into foldspace or hyperdrive and take the object with them. They are not reuseable in any way, shape, or form. Purpose unknown.
Small and "a dozen yards long" do not belong in the same sentence. :p

Besides that, I'm wondering how you're going to cram an FTL engine capable of pulling an entire space station or ship into a small drone and powering it too. Unless it takes a whole lot of lampreys to pull something into FTL. But that has some serious practicality issues.

This would end up being awfully expensive when you could just use missile swarms. Or, if you're more interested in the civilian applications of such a thing, a tug of some description. These lampreys would probably be a lot more complex and expensive compared to a simple ugly tug.
[*]Object 'Casing' – a generator, based essentially on the Telrosian psyk-out bomb, capable of cutting off connection to the warp or the use of Chaos powers to a small area – the size of a small room. This will prevent the use of psyker powers, demon summonings, and make demons or chaos beings already in the area rather uncomfortable.
Sounds good to me. Those are even 40k canon, I believe.
[*]Object 'Justikar' – essentially, a miniature, disposable flamethrower the size of a large pen or a zippo lighter. To be utilized at a range under two meters, the 'Justikar' will douse the target in promethium and ignite it. It is not clear for what possible purpose the device has been created by the Department.
Sure, but it's going to have terrible endurance. Then again, I'm relatively sure real 40k has promethium based flamethrowers that fit in rings and such, albiet with only one shot.

If it's for spies, though, a small gun would probably be better.
[*]Object 'Nobility' – for all appearances, a thin, silvery glove, this object operates similarly to a full-scale powerfist. When wielded by an appropriately-trained individual, the Object can shatter bone and even light armor.
Another fine one, but how is it going to be powered?
[*]Object 'Passado' – a hand-grenade that triggers a bright flash. Unlike regular flash-bangs, it makes absolutely no sound, yet the flash imitates natural Terran sunlight in every way, shape or form. Purpose unknown.
If you're hunting vampires, you need to take into account which kind you're fighting. Some of them are harmed by mere ultraviolet light (in which case, you'd be better served with a UV laser), while others need something mystical and unique to Sol to die. And still others, like the *spits* Twlight Vampires, aren't hurt by sunlight at all. Sparkly fuckers. :evil:

It'd suck to equip your guys with Passados only to find out that you're fighting Twamps.
[*]Object 'Uppercut' – a hand-grenade for dealing with magic-users.It is loaded with dweomerite, an anti-magic metal. Beings with dweomerite in their system will be unable to utilize their magic abilities until the items are removed, nor can their injuries be healed through magic.
I presume the shrapnel wouldn't be stopped by shield spells or the like?

This one might be getting into a bad place though, because magic is very varied, so a blanket "all magic stops working when exposed to this stuff" is rather godmodish.
[*]Object 'Hook' – yet another hand-grenade, when thrown, activates a gravitic field which allows it to hang in mid-air, at about the altitude of a grown man's chest. When personnel approach within the grenades kill-range, the munition detonates. Purpose: pursuit deterrent.
A bouncing betty would probably end up being cheaper and more effective for this role.
[*]Object 'Mini Lamprey' - a device similar to Object Lamprey in action, but sized to fit in a man's palm. Uses gravitics or magnets to clamp on to objects (to be attached by hand by personnel). Upon the accumulation of sufficient Mini Lampreys the item enters foldspace and goes to a preprogrammed location. Devices not reuseable.
[/list]
This might be useful, but it'd once again take lots of mini-lampreys to use. If you're going to ship goods somewhere, a simple freighter or stargate would probably work better. It might have a use as an escape device for spies, but it'd probably be pretty easy to foil, and I can't imagine that a person would take experiencing a spacefold unprotected particularly well.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Yeah, the Hook is basicly a Bouncing Betty, except more high tech, and it hangs in plain sight to be avoided or preemptively shot. I think you might want something more like a low-profile proximity mine.

I'm also a fan of caltrops. And mono-wire traps.

The Lampreys also kinda remind my of an old idea of my own - a limpet bomb with a plasma bore, attaches to the hull and eats through, plasma being directed into a conversion reactor to power the bore(and survival systems; cammo, shield, PDL, whatever you want to mount - or use the plasma directly via mag containment to create a barrier around the weapon), and rebuild expended fuel-mass for the bomb-mode detonation(dual purpose hawking reactor = bomb, and power to get it there - need more power to deliver the weapon? You'll have less fuel available for the bomb-mode. The limpet can refuel by eating plasmafied armour, and so doesn't have to haul tons of extra mass to the target).

Designed to attack heavily armoured enemies, it eats it's way in and detonates inside.
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

The purpose of the Lamprey is to steal objects, rather than to transport stuff on a routine basis. The idea is to approach an STL ship or a space station, attach them to it, and send it to a system where your people are already waiting.
Then again, I'm relatively sure real 40k has promethium based flamethrowers that fit in rings and such, albiet with only one shot.
The idea is that the Justikar has only one shot. This is primarily for dealing with stobor of various descriptons, rather than war, and for desk personnel rather than operatives.
It'd suck to equip your guys with Passados only to find out that you're fighting Twamps.
Wouldn't Twilight vampires die horribly after having a more regular, say, nuclear hand-grenade thrown at them?
This one might be getting into a bad place though, because magic is very varied, so a blanket "all magic stops working when exposed to this stuff" is rather godmodish.
This is actually intended to stop D&D/high fantasy type shit.
. It might have a use as an escape device for spies,
Again, theft.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

As long as we're all brain-storming, I need to figure a way to pack a micro-singularity into a bullet. :lol:
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Arizona Nova wrote:As long as we're all brain-storming, I need to figure a way to pack a micro-singularity into a bullet. :lol:

Stable or unstable?
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

I'd think that a fusion hand grenade that "triggers a bright flash, that imitates natural Terran sunlight in every way, shape or form" would be more fitting, far more fitting. And it'd work against Twilight fail too.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Kanuckistan wrote:
Arizona Nova wrote:As long as we're all brain-storming, I need to figure a way to pack a micro-singularity into a bullet. :lol:

Stable or unstable?
Goodness, unstable. Don't want it sinking into the core of a planet, just want it to remove a generous chunk of the enemy and then vanish from existence!
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

Solar Communes wrote:I'd think that a fusion hand grenade that "triggers a bright flash, that imitates natural Terran sunlight in every way, shape or form" would be more fitting, far more fitting. And it'd work against Twilight fail too.
I already have fusion grenades. They have their own disadvantages.
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

Besides, why would I want to grenade Twilight-pires?