Gods and Things

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Derscon
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Amaranthine Imperium of
Name: Derscon

Re: Gods and Things

Post by Derscon »

Kanuckistan wrote:Well, I have a god - former Prime Minister, ascended unwillingly to divine status over a few centuries by faith and the machinations of certain unnamed parties, then named God Emperor by popular acclaim. It's left him a somewhat traumatised recluse, but has resulted in a verifiable afterlife and helped unify the nation.

He's also in denial, and somewhat ironically, a firm believer in universal equality and the democratic process.

So not really suited for participation here, I think.
I disagree. I think that makes him excellently suited for participation. :D
Of course, all this begs the question - just what is a god? The answer, AFAICT, seems rather subjective. I mean, in RL mythologies, gods have been killed, afterall, and iirc they're not always particularly impressive, just 'better than us' in some capacity, and generally more powerful.
It totally is subjective. Defining an actual pantheon isn't the goal; it's just a cycle of stories of gods interacting with other gods and beings in a vague attempt to be pop-philosophical, and show that not all good character-type RPs have to degenerate into Sollite Smut. ;)
We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France. ~ Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
"Everywhere you prod it, even with the shortest stick, the established system isn't simply corrupt, it's unequivocally putrescent. The law is created by demonstrable criminals, enforced by demonstrable criminals, interpreted by demonstrable criminals, all for demonstrably criminal purposes. Of course I'm above the law. And so are you." (L. Neil Smith) "
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Derscon wrote: I disagree. I think that makes him excellently suited for participation. :D

It's more the fact that he doesn't want to come out, really.

Afterall, if you have a pet god, you kinda need to build in some IC reason that it won't go all "RAWR!" *SMITE!!* if someone with the means decides to raze your nation.
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Kanuckistan wrote:I mean, in RL mythologies, gods have been killed, afterall, and iirc they're not always particularly impressive, just 'better than us' in some capacity, and generally more powerful.
Yes, All gods are Elves.

The end.
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Post by Telros »

Lol Aren.

Yes, Kanuck, that is true. I do that by having the gods having to work through certain means, having the SG rule of not being able to intervene unless another deific being is involved, and that the ultimate god who created them won't allow them to just RAWR SMITE.
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Balrogga »

I never said that was the way it was, I said that is what the Ta'nar believe is true. Of course it will not match up with anyone elses belief systems because they are all different. If you choose that to be incorporated into your mythos it is your right to or not to. I merely stated what they believed, so it is not a Godmod.

What is a God? Someone that can do stuff that is unexplainable to your culture. Someone with "powers" gained through mundane or supernatural sources that you do not possess. Toss a WH40K soldier in their power armor here in the 1500's and he would be worshiped if he wished to be. Convince enough people you are divine and they will make it so, look at our real life regigeons. They are all hearsay since none of us were around when the events happened to view it ourselves yet they are all about deities of some sort or another which Humanity believes in.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Arenumberg wrote:
Yes, All gods are Elves.

The end.

For some reason I'm suddenly reminded of all those plots I've toyed with over the years for turning a foreign population into furries...

Balrogga wrote:I never said that was the way it was, I said that is what the Ta'nar believe is true.

Ah, good.

That is what I hoped, but it easily reads the other way.
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Balrogga »

Nobody can dictate what another nation believes unless the other player wishes to allow it. A good example was the noob that Mekanta had to deal with who had a "Goddess" that if you killed her the fundemental flaws of the universe would cause it to end. We all laughed at them and went on our merry way. Perhaps we should have suggested naming her the "Goddess of Delusional States".

Speaking of Mekanta, don't forget about his All-Consuming Goddess. He has stated it is only a title but should be mentioned at the very least.
Chronosia
ESUS Cummycow

Post by Chronosia »

That was the newblet for whom I designed the all-consuming Toothed Phallus cosmic horror, which burrow-rapes through universes to sodomise-consume faux-goddesses and ting.
Chronosia wrote:MalkavianDelirium: "You are a divine woman, but nevertheless a woman and like every woman cruel in love" says:
I just silenced Central Facehuggeria with a toothed penis.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Arenumberg wrote:Already made a pantheon and started emigrating to heaven kids.
"And lo, was the golden city corrupted by the sins of mages! The maker cursed the fiends, tainting them and casting them back to the Earth. These were the first darkspawn, and they became a blight upon the land."
Why get unreliable human intermediaries?
Because God isn't in it to win, he's in it for the lulz. Same reason you play, oh, I don't know, Dwarf Fortress.
That was the newblet for whom I designed the all-consuming Toothed Phallus cosmic horror, which burrow-rapes through universes to sodomise-consume faux-goddesses and ting.
You bastard! I JUST STOPPED HAVING THE NIGHTMARES!
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:"And lo, was the golden city corrupted by the sins of mages! The maker cursed the fiends, tainting them and casting them back to the Earth. These were the first darkspawn, and they became a blight upon the land."
The Tevinter Imperium is and was hardly pro-elf now dear, dont confuse selfish human sins with the glorious ascendancy of their betters.