But seriously, Dragon Age: Origins.

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Re: But seriously, Dragon Age: Origins.

Post by Telros »

Yeah, I found out about Wynne, especially when I accidentally kinda turned her into electrified giblets. >->
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

I prefer to wait for Age of Decadence release on Thursday. It's good for ESUS as a whole there are so few CRPGs and newer games I consider decent enough to play, in a manner, because then, rather than playing them, I'll be RPing here and in NS and being more active. Thank Bethesda, Bioware, the DECLINE OF PC GAMING and Halo with its crappy regen health concept ruining the FPS genre forever for the fact I ever bothered with NS.

[/rage ends here]
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Post by Telros »

*looks at another rage rant by SC on TEH EBUL CRAPPEH VIDJA GAMEZ*

*rolls eyes and goes back to playing*
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

I dunno, DAO is definitely an RPG, and a pretty good one to boot. It has actual consequences for your choices, a top-down perspective, and an interesting and well-developed universe.

We aren't talking about Bethout 3 - Immershun here.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Re: But seriously, Dragon Age:Origins.

Post by Solar Communes »

From seeing some let's play threads, I concluded DA is a sort of game that gives the impression it is a very good game at the beginning compared to what Bioware usually delivers, but quickly devolves into something else, as in a new EA "Hey focus all your efforts on the beginning so you give the player the delusion the entire game is awesome, and add some filler through mid and end-game so nobody will complain it is too short" policy for CRPGs. And of course, considering how the Evil Alliance is, it won't be long before ridable horses DLC become available for $5.00 :facepalm:
Chronosia
ESUS Cummycow

Post by Chronosia »

As opposed to actually playing the thing and making up your mind for yourself. You could try forming your own opinions based on actually interaction rather than spewing pre-packaged tripe about the "evil empire".

Just an idea.
Chronosia wrote:MalkavianDelirium: "You are a divine woman, but nevertheless a woman and like every woman cruel in love" says:
I just silenced Central Facehuggeria with a toothed penis.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

I have been sufficiently disappointed with games that I expected to be good, and having not much time available, I can't afford the luxury of trying everything that comes up without having the second-hand opinion from cynics, specially as I am a jerk regarding games who really is difficult to please, specially regarding next-gen console games ported to PC which almost always are bland and dull to me.

So what? The $5.00 DLC isn't tripe, it's a hypothetical example over a fact, because there are enough imbeciles to waste their money on things like that.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Re: But seriously, Dragon Age:Origins.

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Solar Communes wrote:From seeing some let's play threads, I concluded DA is a sort of game that gives the impression it is a very good game at the beginning compared to what Bioware usually delivers, but quickly devolves into something else, as in a new EA "Hey focus all your efforts on the beginning so you give the player the delusion the entire game is awesome, and add some filler through mid and end-game so nobody will complain it is too short" policy for CRPGs. And of course, considering how the Evil Alliance is, it won't be long before ridable horses DLC become available for $5.00 :facepalm:
From actually playing it exhaustively for several weeks, I have concluded that DA is the sort of game that's very good for all but the last fifth of the game, where it feels relatively rushed, but still worlds ahead of any RPG in the last five years that doesn't have "Witcher" or "Mask" in its name.

On a related matter, LPs are a terrible way to get acquainted with a game. The LPer can make an awesome game seem like crap, or a shitty game seem like gold depending on how they slant things. For instance, I remember an LP over on Stardestroyer.net which made Star Wars: Empire at War seem awesome when it's at best passable if you squint right.

But yes, the DLC is rather bland. Well, the Watcher's Keep is. The item storage is useful, but in the end, I don't think it's worth the $7 they're asking. Mainly since you can beat it in an hour if you've done it before, and since they don't let you back into the castle you just reclaimed.

The other DLC, The Stone Prisoner, though? Easily worth the money. When they say "a new NPC fully integrated into the game" they mean it. Party banter, subquests, new dialog options in certain situations (esp. Dorfland), equiptypes, the works. And the character itself is quite interesting. On the other power-armor gauntlet, I think TSP comes free with all copies of the game, or at least it used to.

Also, DA was done on the PC first and then ported to consoles, and it definitely shows.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

worlds ahead of any RPG in the last five years that doesn't have "Witcher" or "Mask" in its name.
Doesn't Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden count? :(
Kostemetsia
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Commonwealth of
Name: Kostemetsia

Post by Kostemetsia »

Hey SC, I'm happy for you and ima let you finish, but Jack Thompson was one of the best misguided videogame reviewers of all time.
[center]Image
God hasn't played dice with the universe since that fateful drunken night when he lost classical mechanics to the devil at craps.[/center]