General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Re: On Inflated Populations

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Arenumberg wrote:
Central Facehuggeria wrote: But just saying "I have a quadrillion people" and not adding any plausible reason for why the absolutely enormous resource difference isn't being used to casually crush your enemies like cockroaches breaks suspension of disbelief.

So my opinion is thus: Yeah, I'll buy it if there's a plausible reason for those numbers to not factor into gameplay.
Central Facehuggeria wrote:The industrial resources necessary to keep that many people fed, much less enjoying a decent standard of living are so huge
Hurrrrr.
Exactly the point, my dear. The whole reason behind contriving a way to avoid applying those numbers to the game itself is because otherwise those numbers would provide a tremendous advantage. You can't really have X quadrillion people without the requisite method of feeding them, clothing them, providing them with shelter, etc. The industry necessary to sustain a civilization of that size is enough to bury a NS-stats nation completely, hence why I brought it up.

Therefore, for a population of quadrillions to maintain any legitimacy in mine eyes, there has to be some IC way for that industrial and population base to not apply in the course of general RPing, since otherwise it would be too overpowering. It'd be like dropping a blue whale in a swimming pool.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Neo-Mekanta
ESUS Cummycow
Prefix: The Galactic Hegemony of
Name: Neo-Mekanta

Post by Neo-Mekanta »

Solar Communes wrote:I don't think Solarians could keep 10 billion elves under control unless they unleashed EXTERMINATUS, for otherwise I'd go for it. :twisted:
Popping six worlds like grapes does wonders for getting the seventh to shut up and step back into line.
Central Facehuggeria wrote:You can't really have X quadrillion people without the requisite method of feeding them, clothing them, providing them with shelter, etc.
Why the hell not? "Look, there's a tree. Hide your naked ass under there if it rains. Food? There's plenty of food on the damn trees! EAT THAT!"

... Nation idea...

"Enough monkeys with enough typewriters would eventually reproduce Shakespear's plays. Double that number and fudge the dice rolls God makes for the universe a bit, and they'll blunder their way onto the intergalactic stage in no time. Then exit stage right when they start throwing relativistic poop at space marines."

Or, putting it another way...

"OOK OOK, BITCHES!!"

... I'm going to rape you all so hard your various orifaces will be an unending river of blood, and when I'm finally done with everything from your eye sockets to your arsehole, I'm going cut new holes to use...
-Classic Quote
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

The Point was TFU maintains a standard of living where even the poor are well, not poor. Thus it could be argued that the massive industrial requirements to maintain peoples cushy lives (which many would not want to give up to go get shot at) is also a legitimate reason.

Not that I care.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Arenumberg wrote:The Point was TFU maintains a standard of living where even the poor are well, not poor. Thus it could be argued that the massive industrial requirements to maintain peoples cushy lives (which many would not want to give up to go get shot at) is also a legitimate reason.

Not that I care.
Not legitimate enough. If you got each citizen to give up one dollar-equivelent of their personal savings, you could bury a NS nation in money! Imagine some evil alien warleader being crushed to death by paper Federal Spacebucks!

The disparity is so huge that a "normal" NS nation's entire GDP is a rounding error in the quadrillion man empire's budget. A war between said empire and a normal NS nation (barring a legitimizing factor I mentioned earlier) would be like the might of NATO going to war against an African villiage. The costs would be so low, proportionally speaking, that you'd spend more on rank lapels for your military than you would on the war.

Aren, I don't think you comprehend just how huge this disparity is here. It's understandable, since there's never been a situation remotely equivelent to this in real life. But think about it. Unless TFU is completely without a military and completely without excess industrial capacity to make a military, and is unwilling to siphon a tiny portion of the industrial base supporting the people into creating a military, a quadrillion-man TFU empire could crush any "normal" NS nation barring extremely exceptional circumstances with casual ease.

Again, all that's needed is to tax each TFU citizen one dollar equivelent to get a quadrillion dollars of defense budget.

Which is why for the sake of my sanity, I personally require such an "exceptional circumstance" in order to consider such claims of population legitimate.
Why the hell not? "Look, there's a tree. Hide your naked ass under there if it rains. Food? There's plenty of food on the damn trees! EAT THAT!"
Mekantans: terrible ranchers in the universe, or most terrible ranchers in the universe?

:P
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

I'm well aware of the disparity, im also well aware that many things in NS are attributed to ridiculously flimsy pretenses in the first place.

Its also why I dont care, so giving me answers to a subject I have no interest in isnt really getting anywhere.
Derscon
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Amaranthine Imperium of
Name: Derscon

Post by Derscon »

Arenumberg wrote:I'm well aware of the disparity, im also well aware that many things in NS are attributed to ridiculously flimsy pretenses in the first place.

Its also why I dont care, so giving me answers to a subject I have no interest in isnt really getting anywhere.
So...stop posting in this thread if you don't care.
We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France. ~ Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
"Everywhere you prod it, even with the shortest stick, the established system isn't simply corrupt, it's unequivocally putrescent. The law is created by demonstrable criminals, enforced by demonstrable criminals, interpreted by demonstrable criminals, all for demonstrably criminal purposes. Of course I'm above the law. And so are you." (L. Neil Smith) "
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Okay!
The Fedral Union
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Terran Alliance
Name: The United Terran Alliance

Post by The Fedral Union »

Well I have revised my population to about 308 billion now its much more reasonable :P Yay post scarcity.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

So where is this thread about the topic?
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

I don't mind inflated pop numbers, as I don't mind other forms of wank.

However: 1. As all wank, its use is contingent on the roleplayer being reasonable.

2. If you wank a giant population in a war witth me, I will helpfully agree. Because it meens my troops get epic, epic kill counts.