On Inflated Populations

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Naggeroth
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Empire of
Name: Naggeroth

On Inflated Populations

Post by Naggeroth »

Several RPer's and I have recently been having an argument with TFU over what counts as an acceptable inflation of the NS population for fluff reasons. There were several suggestion's thrown around and then suddenly TFU throws out one whopper of a number.

18,950,100,223,751,000 Sapient People.

Now there has been some fairly major argument over this since that number is exceedingly high. Like "Holy Shit I can't see anything up here" high. However I decided that since me and a few people on MSN are not the authority of acceptable behaviour on NS, I figured I'd ask around and see what other people believe are acceptable levels to inflate one's population for a nation which will be in 'general play(IE: not ascended beings who have all sorts of rules for interacting with lesser beings, but a nation which pretty much is part of the general political scene.).'

What say you ESUS?
Chronosia
ESUS Cummycow

Re: On Inflated Populations

Post by Chronosia »

I say, my population is as it is and that's all that it is!
Chronosia wrote:MalkavianDelirium: "You are a divine woman, but nevertheless a woman and like every woman cruel in love" says:
I just silenced Central Facehuggeria with a toothed penis.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

Like Chronosia, I use my population as it is. Anything over that is godmod unless everyone within the NS FT community agrees with it. I once proposed an one order of magnitude increase in population for NS FT nations, but even here, I knew that everyone had to agree on it for it to pass.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Post by Telros »

I agreed with it for the limited idea of having it for "fluff" or story purposes, but keep your NS population for military and stuff. But now, I see no point. Just keep your pop since there are enough problems with them and I see it as just adding something else to remember and do.
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
The Fedral Union
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Terran Alliance
Name: The United Terran Alliance

Post by The Fedral Union »

Look, I think its fine if I do this, I am not using inflation to win, to give me any advantage to do any thing of the sort and I still use NS page numbers for my military , but come on give me a brake, I want to rp my nation a certain way, I want to rp it as big, with a-lot of tech but that doesn't mean I will crush you, for fucks sake why cant numbers just not be mentioned and if we ever fight we assume our populations are sort of the same to balance things out if you do not agree. but in reality I'm not using this to win I want to do something with it, you keep saying oh your tech is wanky or stupid , or to much. I know you are trying to help but who thinks a ring world is stupid if someone wants to rp that way huh? What is wrong with you know allowing free form to be FREE FORM. I have been trying as much as I can to give my nation a certain image, a ring world and population like this helps, and frankly there are other post scarcity nations around, you keep going on and on about how you would have to ignore me and shit if I am post scarcity, guess what I'm post scarcity . To hell with winning NS to hell with specs I'm here to write and have fun end of story to hell with any one who wants to try to make my inflation or the way I use my tech as a way to win against any one, ITS NOT NOR WILL IT EVER BE, I refuse to go back in to my cesspool days, I wont be delgated to n00b any more, I will never again be that old TFU.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

I capped my population which should be at about 1 billion now, and for worse, humans are still a minority but fortunately they are growing as [spoiler]disguised ethnic cleansing like what the Australians did with Aboriginals[/spoiler] liberal policies on interracial relationships between humans and elves ensure the ubermensch genome shall prevail against the unterelfen genetic code in the future generations to come.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Neo-Mekanta
ESUS Cummycow
Prefix: The Galactic Hegemony of
Name: Neo-Mekanta

Post by Neo-Mekanta »

I mostly take a "NS Population = Nation's Population" approach to FT. The thing is, though, that Mekantans are, and always will be, Mekantans.

My nation has a population of about 12 billion Mekantans. My nation also encompasses many fully populated star systems, rendering the actual sapient population well above twelve billion. But that is not my population, I do not claim that as my population. I simply have that many people because of the Mekantan diet. Those extra people aren't people, they're cattle. But numbers matter, and I RP the Hegemony as if that number is 100% accurate. (Also, that the cattle aren't very happy about being cattle, making it a disadvantage.)

The thing about throwing around a number like nineteen quadrillion is that you can't separate that number from the power of your nation. The industrial base that kind of population would give you aside (since there are more than enough post-scarcity nations present here), you'd basically have infinite capacity to replenish your forces after a catastrophic loss. "Oh, carrier down, all hands lost? It's cool, dawg, we gots 196 trillion more, we good."

I'm not saying you committed a grievous sin and must be executed, Rob, but "no advantage" is pushing it.

... I'm going to rape you all so hard your various orifaces will be an unending river of blood, and when I'm finally done with everything from your eye sockets to your arsehole, I'm going cut new holes to use...
-Classic Quote
Derscon
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Amaranthine Imperium of
Name: Derscon

Post by Derscon »

Personally, I treat any inflation like I would treat a large fleet or a large amount of drones.

To a point, hyperinflated populations are fine if RP'd correctly, as in manufacturing, you just have a lot of organics rather than a lot of drones.

However, these laborers are likely to be of poor quality, much like, say, ships.

Also, as we all know true post-scarcity is logically impossible, with umpteen quadrillion people, there will be resource strain. Period. TFU is not going to be a host to luxury goods, nor will it have a particularly high standard of living, meaning people are going to be generally discontent with life.

But Mekanta is right. To have that many people and claim no advantage is silly. You're gonna have to take some losses, post-scarcity or not.
We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France. ~ Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
"Everywhere you prod it, even with the shortest stick, the established system isn't simply corrupt, it's unequivocally putrescent. The law is created by demonstrable criminals, enforced by demonstrable criminals, interpreted by demonstrable criminals, all for demonstrably criminal purposes. Of course I'm above the law. And so are you." (L. Neil Smith) "
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
The Fedral Union
ESUS Teletubby Fan
Prefix: The Terran Alliance
Name: The United Terran Alliance

Post by The Fedral Union »

*sigh* I am post scarcity and that many people could be supported on it, hell its NS... people play as they want. Post scarcity in my nation is due to energy to matter fabrication, dimensional and atomic cloning mumbojumbo. To be fair I just want an environment nothing more.
Derscon
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Amaranthine Imperium of
Name: Derscon

Post by Derscon »

The Fedral Union wrote:*sigh* I am post scarcity and that many people could be supported on it, hell its NS... people play as they want. Post scarcity in my nation is due to energy to matter fabrication, dimensional and atomic cloning mumbojumbo. To be fair I just want an environment nothing more.
Sure, lots of ways to produce goods and what-not. My point is nothing is 100% post-scarcity, even though your society is as close as mortal imperfect beings can get, so may as well be called post-scarcity.

I get that it's an environment, but you have to make your trade-offs unless you have other motives. I RP as a god-like but non-interventionist society because I don't like war RPs and don't really want to invest that much time in NS. If you keep high involvement, but create a post-scarcity economy with basically unlimited manpower, you have to take losses somewhere else.
We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France. ~ Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
"Everywhere you prod it, even with the shortest stick, the established system isn't simply corrupt, it's unequivocally putrescent. The law is created by demonstrable criminals, enforced by demonstrable criminals, interpreted by demonstrable criminals, all for demonstrably criminal purposes. Of course I'm above the law. And so are you." (L. Neil Smith) "
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.