On Inflated Populations

General debate and discussion. (OOC)
Balrogga
ESUS Testicle Monster

Re: On Inflated Populations

Post by Balrogga »

A long time ago I also capped my population. Currently I am playing with (aprox) 6 million Ta'Nar, 60 million Childer, and the maximum capacity of 600 million Kythons but I cut back when I do not need them to just what is needed to compose my fleets (2 million) and other structures.

When I encounter other populations, I run it like I do ships, multipliers will bring quality/strength down while running fractions of your NS pop will bring the values the other way. (I am currently running 70 million out of 12.5 billion.) This is to factor in the advantages I get as being Psions and other aspects of my nation.
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

People will be treated according to the quality of their wrriting followed by the number that the game gives me.

Claiming advantages due to having "less than you should" doesnt wash in the equal measure that claiming you have a higher population doesnt. You are what you are. (I am noting that Rob is NOT claiming an advantage, so dont quote that and get all pissy at me.)

If people dont like that, who cares, I don't really RP that much at the moment anyway. Its all a matter of opinion at the end of the day.
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Naggeroth wrote:Several RPer's and I have recently been having an argument with TFU over what counts as an acceptable inflation of the NS population for fluff reasons. There were several suggestion's thrown around and then suddenly TFU throws out one whopper of a number.

18,950,100,223,751,000 Sapient People.

Now there has been some fairly major argument over this since that number is exceedingly high. Like "Holy Shit I can't see anything up here" high. However I decided that since me and a few people on MSN are not the authority of acceptable behaviour on NS, I figured I'd ask around and see what other people believe are acceptable levels to inflate one's population for a nation which will be in 'general play(IE: not ascended beings who have all sorts of rules for interacting with lesser beings, but a nation which pretty much is part of the general political scene.).'

What say you ESUS?
Sure, if he can contrive a way for those people to not matter at all in the scheme of things. Because having quadrillions of people is... You could literally drown any "normal" NS nation in the blood of your defeated soldiery! The industrial resources necessary to keep that many people fed, much less enjoying a decent standard of living are so huge that even a fraction of them devoted to the military could pump out billions of ships! Big ships, at that!

But there are ways to make something like that work. For instance, I once saw another nation who RPed as being this massive empire who owns a whole universe. However, the only forces he had actual access to were a small expeditionary force, with little chance of resupply or reinforcement. The untold bajillions of people in the home universe didn't matter, because he couldn't access them; the empire was basically just a background detail.

The Mekantan method "ie there are X billion Mekantans and untold numbers of sentient cattle who really don't want to be cattle" works too.

But just saying "I have a quadrillion people" and not adding any plausible reason for why the absolutely enormous resource difference isn't being used to casually crush your enemies like cockroaches breaks suspension of disbelief.

So my opinion is thus: Yeah, I'll buy it if there's a plausible reason for those numbers to not factor into gameplay.
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

CF, your second to last paragraph pretty much explains it all. If there were that many Sskiss WE WOULD conquer the galaxy at least.
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

Central Facehuggeria wrote: But just saying "I have a quadrillion people" and not adding any plausible reason for why the absolutely enormous resource difference isn't being used to casually crush your enemies like cockroaches breaks suspension of disbelief.

So my opinion is thus: Yeah, I'll buy it if there's a plausible reason for those numbers to not factor into gameplay.
Central Facehuggeria wrote:The industrial resources necessary to keep that many people fed, much less enjoying a decent standard of living are so huge
Hurrrrr.
Kostemetsia
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Commonwealth of
Name: Kostemetsia

Post by Kostemetsia »

I'm restraining the urge to make a really venomous post here.

And, Aren: your point being?
[center]Image
God hasn't played dice with the universe since that fateful drunken night when he lost classical mechanics to the devil at craps.[/center]
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Post by Telros »

Aren is pointing out that in the same post CF said numbers should not factor into gameplay and yet spoke about the numbers involved in feeding the people and the industrial complex, thus pointing out possible hypocrisy.
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Derscon
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Amaranthine Imperium of
Name: Derscon

Post by Derscon »

Telros wrote:Aren is pointing out that in the same post CF said numbers should not factor into gameplay and yet spoke about the numbers involved in feeding the people and the industrial complex, thus pointing out possible hypocrisy.
No, it's not hypocrisy, although CF maybe could have worded it better.

Actually, no, he worded it fine. Aren just misinterpreted it.

CF is saying that the way it's currently construed, there is no viable reason for the numbers not to factor in, ergo the current setup is not acceptable. TFU, therefore, needs to come up with a reason for them not to factor in, such as the example he gave with the universe/expeditionary fleet etc.
We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France. ~ Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
"Everywhere you prod it, even with the shortest stick, the established system isn't simply corrupt, it's unequivocally putrescent. The law is created by demonstrable criminals, enforced by demonstrable criminals, interpreted by demonstrable criminals, all for demonstrably criminal purposes. Of course I'm above the law. And so are you." (L. Neil Smith) "
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
Telros
ESUS Danza Slap
Prefix: The Dominion of
Name: Telros

Post by Telros »

I was saying what she thought, in her post anyways, Derscon. I already said what I will say earlier. =P
Pyramid Facehugger would be fucking brutal. I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep with the thought of that genocidal rape behemoth rampaging through the large-eyed schoolgirls swimming in a sea of biceps that populate my subconscious.

Oh you're starving? WELL FUCK YOU THEN, HADUKEN!
-- Proof that the Old Testament God was a dick.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:The Mekantan method "ie there are X billion Mekantans and untold numbers of sentient cattle who really don't want to be cattle" works too.
I don't think Solarians could keep 10 billion elves under control unless they unleashed EXTERMINATUS, for otherwise I'd go for it. :twisted:
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die