Proposal of Moderate Interest

ESUS Senate Resolutions rejected by the alliance.

Should we?

Yea
35%
Nay
45%
Abstain
10%
Myrth
No votes
Castrate Facehugger!!!!111!!!11!
10%

Total votes: 20

Arenumberg
Prefix: The Sophiacracy
Name: Arenumberg

Post by Arenumberg »

CRAB PEOPLE! CRAB PEOPLE! TASTE LIKE CRAB, TALK LIKE PEOPLE, CRAB PEOPLE!
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

Arizona Nova wrote: Yes, I believe a STANDING fleet would conflict with the constitution...
I really do wonder sometimes if you people have actually read the constitution. In no way does a group of men and women, who have sworn loyalty to the ESUS body above their own nations, crewing warships that are a culmination of many member's technology, conflict with the constitution. At all. In fact, it promotes certain articles of the constitution. As long as that fleet could only be used in an offensive manner with a majority vote in the senate, and never against the interests of any member state, there is absolutely no problem, and no infringement of sovereignty.

A small, standing, reactionary fleet (which I find acceptable, unlike a large, alliance-wide fleet) as CF suggested would be very cool. Possibly several small fleets (numbering 20 to 100 ships) could be positioned to strategic points in the universe, allowing every member state (so long as one "sector's" nations don't get attacked en masse) a quick, assured response to a call for help.

This being in the courts confuses me, as it was an OOC proposal to make an IC proposal. /shrug

Oh, and then there's the slightly related matter of actually roleplaying the ESSCD and what type of equipment it has. You know, the Extra Solar Serious Crimes Directorate, established in Article IV.
Penguenia
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

A compulsory fleet would be against the constitution. However, since this is an amendment to the constitution, if it passes, it would no longer be against it.
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

Penguenia wrote: I really do wonder sometimes if you people have actually read the constitution. In no way does a group of men and women, who have sworn loyalty to the ESUS body above their own nations, crewing warships that are a culmination of many member's technology, conflict with the constitution. At all. In fact, it promotes certain articles of the constitution. As long as that fleet could only be used in an offensive manner with a majority vote in the senate, and never against the interests of any member state, there is absolutely no problem, and no infringement of sovereignty.
There is the letter of the constitution and the spirit of the constitution; even if this supposedly doesn't conflict with the letter of it, in my eyes it certainly clashes with the spirit of it; that is, if it is compulsory. I am not totally against this proposal, but I believe a standing fleet would centralize things, and a compulsory donation would drive off members.
Penguenia wrote:A small, standing, reactionary fleet (which I find acceptable, unlike a large, alliance-wide fleet) as CF suggested would be very cool. Possibly several small fleets (numbering 20 to 100 ships) could be positioned to strategic points in the universe, allowing every member state (so long as one "sector's" nations don't get attacked en masse) a quick, assured response to a call for help.
Again, there is the question of it being compulsory. Defensive or offensive, making it compulsory WOULD violate the spirit of the constitution, and as some members here have already stated, be something they are against.
Penguenia wrote:This being in the courts confuses me, as it was an OOC proposal to make an IC proposal. /shrug
"The Courts: Debate decisions by ESUS here. (Semi-IC)"

This is a decision which would be made by the ESUS, thus it is debated here.
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}
Penguenia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Penguenia »

Compulsory participation is, of course, against the constitution. An ESUS fleet would, however, probably be voluntary.
Penguenia
Kreshh
ESUS Danza Slap

Post by Kreshh »

Indeed, were contribution compulsory I would vote against it both IC and OOC.

As is I'm only marginally for it OOC, and would abstain IC.
I've only ever asked God for one thing: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous," and he granted my request.

My immediate advice is to go buy Brewsters. It is a dictionary, and a quite fine one. This you should use to bludgeon yourself comatose each and every night, in the faint hope that some of the knowledge contained in it might be transferred. If not, it would at least leave you damaged enough that you wouldn't be coming here and violate our senses with your retarded babble.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

I'll suggest what I always suggest when this comes up - create a 'treaty fleet' amongst interested ESUS members, separate from the constitution and Union as a whole. Preferably a standardised fleet everyone can be familiar with, which would be answerable to the funding nations and dedicated to their defence(although naturally they could use it to defend other ESUS members at their own discretion). Joint crews should also help to better relations between(most) Union members.

As a rapid response/joint patrol force it would be ideal, and avoid just about every hangup involved in a proper ESUS fleet(including needing a senate vote to mobilize, which could make a rapid response force all but useless).
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

So are we imitating the TYCS here? :D
Arizona Nova
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!
Prefix: The Reconstituted Kingdom
Name: Arizona Nova

Post by Arizona Nova »

*BWOO BWOO GRAVEDIGGING ALERT DANGER WILL ROBINSON*
[center]Wit ye well, that when no good men remain to stand against those who choose evil, what will remain to restrain them from unleashing their dark designs?[/center]
~Anikar

{Back Burner}