LOL MECHS R TEH SUX?

Spam all day!
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Megas wrote:Terranites, you arse. You've gone and played around with necromancy, and ressurected this topic...AGAIN.

Now I have to add MY two cents...AGAIN.

MECHA + PROTOCULTURE = HAX

That's all. I'm done now.
Wiki on Protoculture wrote: In physical anthropology, protoculture is the passing of behaviours from one generation to another among non-human primates. These cultures are very rudimentary, and do not exhibit complex cultural technology.

:P
The Othranar
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by The Othranar »

I think it's fair to give the other article too Kanuck:
Wikipedia wrote: Protoculture is the passing of learned behaviors from one generation to another in non-human primates. The term can also mean:

Protoculture (anime), a term used in two related anime series, but referring to different things:
In The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: an ancient race of humanoids;

In the American dub, Robotech: an ancient power source.

Protoculture Addicts and its publisher, Protoculture Inc.

Protoculture (musician), the stage name of psychedelic trance artist Nate Raubenheimer

"Proto Culture", a rap song about video games, by artist Del tha Funkee Homosapien (featuring Khaos Unique), on the album Both Sides of the Brain
It's not a cookie. It's art.
Megas
Mecha Maniac

Post by Megas »

Thanks, Othranar, but I got this. :wink:

Since there is obvious confusion as to what Protoculture is in the context of my statement above, allow me to elaborate for you, Kanuck. :P

In the Robotech continuum, Protoculture is not actually the physical energy or the power source at all, but rather a term used to specify the nuclear reaction that takes place within the seed of the Flower of Life which is attempting to germinate, but being prevented from doing so by pressure. "The English term [Protoculture] derives from a direct translation of the Tiresian term for an unprocessed crop of seeds of the Flower of Life, one of the chief prizes stored in the bowels of the SDF-1."

Protoculture as defined by Dr. Peter W. Walker wrote:Protoculture is [the] process by which energy is derived from the seeds of the Invid Flower of Life, when prevented by pressure from germinating.
The energy-rich substance which is commonly referred to as Protoculture is actually known as the Protoculture Matrix.
Protoculture Matrix as defined by Dr. Peter W. Walker wrote:The energy is produced by a process of cold fusion of trace elements contained in a lithium- and deuterium-rich solution which permeates the seeds and their environs. In nature the strength of this reaction is limited by the natural abundances of the necessary isotopes, but in man-made situations, the solutions can be made far richer, depending upon the required rate of energy generation. A long and specialized protein chain (known as the fusor sequence) within specialized organelles in the seed's cells binds to the necessary reactants, and twists into a tight bundle which squeezes the lithium-6 and deuterium atoms into very close proximity. Being bosons (particles whose spins are an integer multiple of Planck's constant), the resultant atoms - compressed together - are not affected by the effective repulsion from the Pauli principle. Only the electrostatic barriers to fusion - the repulsion of the two positively-charged nuclei - need be overcome....This solution, which also includes several seed-beneficent nutrients, is known as the Protoculture Matrix...
The rest of Dr. Walker's essay can be found here.

Now, you're all obviously wondering how I use this simply misunderstood energy source as a rationale for my mecha. In fact, right about now you're probably thinking that I've even undermined my own argument. This is because the view of Protoculture given by Dr. Walker includes only the tangible applications seen in the Harmony Gold continuum of Robotech. As some of you know, there is another continuum of Robotech in the book form, written by a pair of authors under the psuedonym Jack McKinney. I simply combined the Harmony Gold continuum with the slightly different continuum found in the Jack McKinney Robotech series published by Del Rey.

Some of you will have already guessed where I'm heading with this. For anyone who hasn't read the McKinney series; be patient, I'm getting to my point. First, you must undertand that in the McKinney series, there is a mysterious, supernatural force that seems to govern any use of Protoculture. The force is seen in the Harmony Gold continuum, but is never really referred to as it is in the books. Taking in to account the fact that Megans have had a millenium more research studying the Flower of Life than did the Tiresians/Tirolians/Invid from either continuum, they have learned to harness those paranormal powers. Indeed, the alternate dimension from the final McKinney book, End of the Circle, that the SDF-3 is marooned in by that very force is the very same dimension that all Megan vessels equipped with Reflex Furnace Fold Drives use for FTL.

This same force is drawn from the Protoculture canisters in a Veritech by the pilot, who has been mentally augmented through consumption of dried petals of the Flower of Life, and channeled throughout the mecha. The effects are, of course, supernatural, and the mech is now able to perform maneuvers that were illogical and stupid beforehand.

Questions? Comments?

Note: I intended to RP this process way back in my ill-fated war with Hobbeebia, but he just stopped posting, so I never got the chance.
[22:28] Coop: Because, you know, Florida only has more exotic indigenous species on its beaches than the rest of the US combined
[22:28] Anithraldur/Darth Pompious: The world is changed: sororities dont' count Megas
Neo-Mekanta
ESUS Cummycow
Prefix: The Galactic Hegemony of
Name: Neo-Mekanta

Post by Neo-Mekanta »

The reasoning for Mecha in the universe of Mekanta's canon? (Well, Human-built Mecha...)

Tactical Armors, or TacArms, are controlled via the movement of the pilot, like an extension of his or her own body. With proper mechanical and computer systems, these weapons allowed a nation with a small, poorly trained military but high production capabilities to field armored units without having to devote much extra training to thier army, which consisted mostly of city defense corps or other forms of infantry. They couldn't take as many hits as a tank, but given that the pilots of the units were used to being lightly armored and fighting against heavier troops, they were used to it. While tanks mount heavier weapons, save in extrodinary circumstances better known as a plot device, the TacArm's method of control and movement allowed pilots to adapt much more quickly.

As time and humanity progressed, tactical armors secured a place as the backbone of most military forces. Tanks were never phased out, however, but instead grew larger, stronger, and more heavily armored to deal with TacArm blitzes. They, along with gunships, began taking on anti-TacArm duties. However, thier pilots still required much more training than a TacArm pilot, and thier numbers lagged behind cheaply mass-produced and effective Tactical Armors.

Granted, this is all just to add wood to the fire, since NS Mekanta doesn't use TacArms. (Everything is focused on those ungodly capships.)

... I'm going to rape you all so hard your various orifaces will be an unending river of blood, and when I'm finally done with everything from your eye sockets to your arsehole, I'm going cut new holes to use...
-Classic Quote
Tarot
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Tarot »

My opinion (which also happens to be fact)? Mecha are horribly innefficient wastes of building material. However, in the future, there will be Sports Utility Mecha for sale on the open market, because they're just damn cool. Sensical? No. But since when have people bought stuff on anything other than style?
Crystal Palais
ESUS Teletubby Fan

Post by Crystal Palais »

Which, really, is the whole point of this topic. Are mecha the best application you can come up with as a weapons platform? No. But they look the coolest and in RP that's all that really counts.

Unless you're just being super-realistic.