ACHTUNG

Spam all day!
Xenonier
Uber-Ancients
Prefix: The Projected Irregularity of
Name: Xenonier

Post by Xenonier »

You've got n00ks, I've got n00ks, we've all got n00ks but I control the map because you wasted all that money on an uberbot while I dominated the map and took over the entire game, so I have more n00ks than you.*

*Yeah yeah, I was a little bitch on the TA ladder. Core that used the krogoth were usually a freewin though. .. :D

The BLOD turret was in fact indentified as a Captured and retrofitted Arm Annnihilator energy cannon in the galatic battle reports, which were supposedly official. :/

Damn the Orcone being a fan creation. I should have known something that looked that kewl and un-arm-looking couldn't have been an offical unit! Although there was an arm version of The Quadragoth as well, I think.
;>
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin
Prefix: The Second Imperium of
Name: Central Facehuggeria

Post by Central Facehuggeria »

Xenonier wrote:The BLOD turret was in fact indentified as a Captured and retrofitted Arm Annnihilator energy cannon in the galatic battle reports, which were supposedly official. :/
Really? Damn. I'll take your word for it. It's been years since I've read the galactic battle reports, and then I was more concerned with the demonstrated capabilities, like the ability to build a ship that can hold 'billions' of people. :P
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Xenonier
Uber-Ancients

Post by Xenonier »

My memory is just as crap, trust me. However, they demonstrate similar effects, damage, AOE and energy drain and the like.

Arm did win the wars though right? Surely I didn't get that bit wrong. :P
I still don't understand how you can get the level of weapons they had with just fusion reactors though. The D-gun sucked way too little power, and they never really explained it.

If a fusion reactor gives ya 1000 power, then something as powerful as the d-gun should be sucking a heck of a lot more power per shot, unless the commander had it's own power source and only needed the backup power to activate a device that works a bit like some of our power devices here.
;>
Jordaxia
Mecha Maniac

Post by Jordaxia »

Xenonier wrote:You've got n00ks, I've got n00ks, we've all got n00ks but I control the map because you wasted all that money on an uberbot while I dominated the map and took over the entire game, so I have more n00ks than you.*
I was legendarily crap at the game.... but surely a kroggie would only be used as a taunt to the sheer domination of Core? I'd only build one AFTER I controlled the map and was making metal and energy to ridiculous degrees. Either that or the Core/Core Krog matches which were amusing. Even though a buzzsaw/radar autoaim device did make short work of them.
Xenonier
Uber-Ancients

Post by Xenonier »

Well, the good players that used it bought it for three reasons.

A. Due to rushes that, the entire map was so clogged up with Enemy/ your units that it was better to get all your power in one large unit so you didn't get a massive chokepoint and have wreckage clog up your attack routes.

Just never use it to hit the enemies main base. Their commander will be there, and he will bring your kroggy down.

B. Defensive unit.

"Hey guys, thanks to arm/core big bertha/intimidator and superior kbot+defence/tank+ship whoring, we are in the core/enemy core base. Blam blam blammitty ... oh SHIT!"

C. Commander Bodyguard.

Same as above.
;>
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Xenonier wrote:Arm did win the wars though right? Surely I didn't get that bit wrong. :P
Eh... I was under the impression that the Galactic war reports ended with the Arm on the run. They later made a comeback in Core Contingency, which forced the last Core Commander to activate the galactic implosion device and basically reset the galaxy.
I still don't understand how you can get the level of weapons they had with just fusion reactors though. The D-gun sucked way too little power, and they never really explained it.
It's quite possible we're not talking about nuclear fusion here.
If a fusion reactor gives ya 1000 power, then something as powerful as the d-gun should be sucking a heck of a lot more power per shot, unless the commander had it's own power source and only needed the backup power to activate a device that works a bit like some of our power devices here.
I think that's how it worked. That big backpack on the Commander was his power supply, it's just that he needs that extra bit of oomph when he wants to use his D-Gun. Of course, given how the D-Gun works, there's no real need for it to take lots of energy. It basically suppresses the strong nuclear force holding atoms together (inducing them to undergo nuclear fission.) Now, since there's no way, AFAIK, to suppress strong nuclear force with brute force energy transfer, we must be talking about technobabble here. And technobabble doesn't necessarily need a lot of power.

Still, D-Guns are cool. I use them in everything. Ships, infantry, tanks, household pets...
"Please tell me that you haven't heard military gossip about a fleet of invisible battleplates."
Xenonier
Uber-Ancients

Post by Xenonier »

Central Facehuggeria wrote:
Eh... I was under the impression that the Galactic war reports ended with the Arm on the run. They later made a comeback in Core Contingency, which forced the last Core Commander to activate the galactic implosion device and basically reset the galaxy.
Total Annihilation itself ended officaly with arm ascendant, destroying the Core Empire and siezing Core prime. the KROGOTH was being constructed in one of the areas you raided to take out Core's energy supplies (something like the 20th-21st mission, can't really remember). I don't remember the end of the galatic reports.

I never finished the campaign in the Core contingency either, but I thought it was about a lone, rouge, unknown core commander?
It's quite possible we're not talking about nuclear fusion here.
Probably true. Kiloton level weaponry, mechs capable of firing that weaponry, mass produced nukes, nanolathe, blah blah blah. I wouldn't be suprised it's something far more advanced either. After all, aren't the commanders themselves based on destroyed/forgotten tech?
I think that's how it worked. That big backpack on the Commander was his power supply, it's just that he needs that extra bit of oomph when he wants to use his D-Gun. Of course, given how the D-Gun works, there's no real need for it to take lots of energy. It basically suppresses the strong nuclear force holding atoms together (inducing them to undergo nuclear fission.) Now, since there's no way, AFAIK, to suppress strong nuclear force with brute force energy transfer, we must be talking about technobabble here. And technobabble doesn't necessarily need a lot of power.
Damnable technobabble. I always thought it was a device that used similar energy generation to say, The Mindset or Indra's powerplants in that it used conventional energy (the 400 or so it cost from your energy bar)enabling acess to another dimensions energy, or whatever TA would say that has a slight basis in possible science to power the technobabble.
;>
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

What the smeg are you people on about?
Central Facehuggeria
Site Admin

Allanea wrote:What the smeg are you people on about?
Total Annihilation. Where I get some of my most favoritest weaponry. Imagine a war that can completely exhaust the resources of an entire galaxy over only four thousand years. Now imagine that war being fought with infantry that are thirty feet tall, with tanks and giant godzilla sized killbots being scaled upwards from there.

As an example of usual combat in TA: A week of casual combat can burn a planet down to the bedrock, unintentionally.
Allanea
Silly Forum Johnnie

Post by Allanea »

... Ally WANTS that game.

*drools*