A Very Public Embarassment (Semi-open RP)

A forum for in-character roleplay. (IC)
Torontonias
ESUS Danza Slap

A Very Public Embarassment (Semi-open RP)

Post by Torontonias »

OOC: This thread is pretty much tied into the Origins of a Crisis that Megas and I have going right now. Its essentially going to be a Public Inquiry through ESUS channels onto what happened in the Hansan system. We're also looking for someone to be the inquirer for the whole thing (Basically researches the problem and asks the questions to get to the bottom of the whole issue). PM me if you're interested. Everyone else, once the Inquiry starts, your welcome to have a character attend the sessions and have their thoughts internally monologued, otherwise, enjoy!
Background thread can be found here: http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php ... orontonias

Inside the Torontonian Capital Building, CFedO’s office

Garret Perkins resisted the temptation to smash his fists against his desk, he didn’t want to break his hands or damage the lovingly restored Earth mahogany gem that had survived an internal and external civil war. Unfortunately, he did not have the luxury to look so lovingly on the state of affairs for the Torontonian state.

“Culture Riots! Political Revolts! Torontonias hasn’t seen this kind of unrest for centuries, not since the days of the Communist party of Torontonias!� he muttered as he stared at reports flooding in from all over the Torontonian planets.

Most of the political anger was directed at him, after he had closed the People’s Chamber, the populace had come to realize he wasn’t going to listen to them anymore. Before long the Corporate Chamber was going to realize that it had become the rubber stamp in the government. If the council of twelve ever found out that they were practically phased out as well, in that case, Torontonias would cease to be an Autocrasy in name only to a full-fledged dictatorship, which he didn’t mind, so long as he was in control.
As well, the Nubians were beginning to show signs of civil unrest as they began to resent the second class treatment they were offered in the Autocrasy. They were brought into Union with Torontonias against their will when a captain for hire had bungled into their planets, protected by an ancient alien jamming device. Although they had embraced the technological advancements, they were concerned about their culture being assimilated and forgotten, as well as their inability to practice their ritual tribalism, as all religion outside of the Church of Torontonias was banned.

Unfortunately, the straw that broke the proverbial camels back was news of the failed black ops operation. It had succeeded in every way except for the fact that they were caught on film. Intelligence had indicated that the small fleet that was predicted to be mustered had a commander who possessed an above average amount of diligence in his duties and had patched a feed back to Megan command. He knew that at some point, the Megans were going to go public with this information and put Torontonias in the hot seat. Especially once they realized what had been taken from them.

Perkins was never one to utilize diplomacy himself, but Torontonias wasn’t the biggest dog in the yard, not by a longshot. That was why it also possessed one of the best Diplomatic Corps in the alliance. He was going to call on their services now. Picking up his phone, he placed a direct line to the ESUS Headquarters, which also served as the defacto headquarters of the Diplomatic Corps, since much of its international affairs went through the alliance.

ESUS HQ Station

Belinda Martin had spent the first part of her day strumming her fingers along her desk reading reports that trickled in around the alliance. The situation in the Ile Sorne civil war seemed to be stabilizing a bit, although not totally to her satisfaction. As well, there had been a significant increase in applications to the alliance, which piqued her interest, as its membership had been fairly static for the last several decades.

New Blood always shakes up the status quo, clearing the cobwebs over establish norms she thought with bemusement.

Usually senior diplomats for an established alliance nation would not have had so much time on their hands. However, the most recent policy changes under the Perkins regime had led to a marked isolationist stance in intergalactic affairs, even going so far as to stay on the sidelines of the Ile Sorne Civil War while one of the most powerful nations in the alliance rent itself apart.

However, that all changed when the afternoon rolled around, her phone started chirping on her desk, but the caller was identified as the Chief Federal Officers office. No one could ignore that kind of summons.

“Ms. Martin speaking�

“Belinda! How are you� Garret schmoozed, she could feel the unaccustomed sweetness in his voice

“Not bad Mr. Perkins, how are things down at the CFedO’s office? You haven’t declared martial law yet have you?�

“No, of course not. However, I do have an assignment for you� the voice continued “In a few hours the Megan’s are going to come out with a story of Torontonian ships violating Megan sovereignty by entering its space and destroying a police vessel�

“Is it true? If it is, we’re looking at explusion from the alliance� Belinda responded, her voice like ice

“Only partially. We did move into Megan space, but it was to capture a notorious Nubian smuggler, the Megan ship is of little concern, if they press you on it, my office will send you evidence which will remove it as a support for any case against us�

“So what do you want me to do?� Belinda inquired

“I want you to request a public inquiry into the events that occurred. They’re fairly recent so you should be able to come up with plenty of witnesses willing to testify for us, unfortunately the same goes for the Megans. I need you to set up this Inquiry now, before the Megans do, so it doesn’t look like we’re covering anything up. We need to look as open as possible� Perkins replied

“Alright, and sir, if any sort of ‘black ops’ nonsense comes up, what do you want me to do?�

“Nothing, it shouldn’t be an issue Belinda, good luck�

With that, the line terminated and Belinda was left with a rush of emotion.

A public inquiry! This kind of thing hasn’t been called in years! The whole alliance will be able to watch in and gain an insight into what has been going on in Torontonias for a long time now, and people might not like what they see… Either way, we’re going to need a neutral inquirer. It will have to be someone respected someone powerful. Belinda Martin thought

Her first pick was a diplomat from the state of Ile Sorne, so she sent out a request for one, but had yet to hear a response. Her second choice would be a Facehuggerian diplomat, although she wasn’t sure if the bad blood generated from the Civil War had been purged. As well, even if it was, this was exactly the kind of meddling that led to the last ESUS Civil War, so she did not want that history to complicate things

Her second point of business was to get the Megan diplomat on the line and make sure that they were on the same level, even though they were going to be mud slinging each other for the next little while. Fortunately she knew the man, Elizar Telisnor was a kind fellow. Perfect for diplomacy, he never really seemed like he was angry, and he always at least seemed like he was listening. She punched in the extension for the Megan Diplomatic Corps.

“Yes, this is Belinda Martin of the Torontonian Diplomatic Corps, I’d like to speak to Mr. Telisnor�

She waited as her line was connected through to his office, when she found out that he was in a meeting, she left a message for him to return when he got out.

“Elizar! It’s a shame we haven’t spoken in a while, but I guess that’s where our vocations take us. Hopefully the Corps isn’t boring you too badly with endless trade negotiations and such. I know that the last round of treaties between Torontonias and Megas ended on a positive note. Unfortunately, I only wish I could be calling on that same positive note.

I’ve been informed that there was some unpleasantness between our military forces earlier today. I’m just letting you know that the Torontonian Diplomatic Corp will be requesting an inquiry through the ESUS channels. I’m not sure if they’ve told you anything on your side, but this is liable to be big.�

With that she terminated the line, and waited for the rest of the process to start.